Long Range 308/7.62 Semi Auto Build Help

Monkeyman2500

Well I've been thinking of putting together a new rifle. Right now I'm considering an ar10. I've never done any long range stuff and now that I have a place to do it I would like to try it. I need some suggestions and help figuring out exactly what I need to get up to 1000yd. I would like to stay under $2500 but get as much rifle as I can. I would also like it to be a semi auto with decent magazine capacity. I'm a fan of the ar platform so I was just starting there. Thanks
Building one would be fun, but I don’t think you will save any money if you go with quality components. There is no standard for an AR-10 like there is for an AR-15 (Mil-Spec). $2500 should get you there, but you will probably have a rifle you could buy for much less.

I have a DPMS 308 Panther, but as soon as Smith & Wesson adds a heavy barrel and quad handguards to their M&P10; I’ll have that. Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1

Building one would be fun, but I don’t think you will save any money if you go with quality components. There is no standard for an AR-10 like there is for an AR-15 (Mil-Spec). $2500 should get you there, but you will probably have a rifle you could buy for much less.

I have a DPMS 308 Panther, but as soon as Smith & Wesson adds a heavy barrel and quad handguards to their M&P10; I’ll have that.

I don't think I'll build one due to time it would take. Also I was meaning to put the optics in that price too.

I need some suggestions and help figuring out exactly what I need to get up to 1000yd. I would like to stay under $2500 but get as much rifle as I can. I would also like it to be a semi auto with decent magazine capacity. I'm a fan of the ar platform so I was just starting there. Thanks

I have a CMMG MK3 CBR AR10 for sale for $1600 in the classifieds. You would have another $900 for good glass and a bipod. I ran it out to 800 yards (range limit) in Colorado. I have 2 and needed to pay for some new house stuff.

I'd be happy to let ya take a look at it on Saturday when y'all get that ammo. Juuuuust sayin!

I did the build thing on my 300 blk...it got over budget quick. But then again, my impulse control is novice level.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk Edited by WarPig
  • Like 2
Could be. It's been a while since I bought my JP. Mine was an AR-15, but quality is second to none. I think mine was about $2200. Could look for a used one.

He didn't say if the $2500 was with glass or not. Edited by Hozzie
I'm not that smart on this but I have shot an M14 at 1000 yd sand while it was hitting the target, it was not accurate. I thought it was because the limits of the caliber were passed. Most folks were shooting a 300 win mag for 1k yds.

Of course I could be wrong and I'm sure someone smarter will chime in.

I would recommend an M1A modern day clone of the M14 for the sheer awesomeness of what it is and if necessary go with a bigger caliber on your build to meet your needs.
  • Like 2

I have a CMMG MK3 CBR AR10 for sale for $1600 in the classifieds. You would have another $900 for good glass and a bipod. I ran it out to 800 yards (range limit) in Colorado. I have 2 and needed to pay for some new house stuff.

I'd be happy to let ya take a look at it on Saturday when y'all get that ammo. Juuuuust sayin!

I did the build thing on my 300 blk...it got over budget quick. But then again, my impulse control is novice level.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think you, Comms and I all suffer from novice impulse control!!  :rock: But that might also be what makes us pretty awesome too. You did see the new 20 I got yesterday in preparation for my ammo purchase this Saturday, didn't you? The 21 just somehow tagged along. LOL

• Like 3

I did. I love the 20 and the 21....i had to put an RMR on the 21 to change them up a bit. My problem is I have the government spending mentality...why buy 1 when you can get 2 for twice the price?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If I told you the package deal I got, the deal on the ammo and everything, you'd want to smack me. There's a reason we are loyal to the shop we buy from. They're incredible guys. The 21sf that I got, the original one I looked at was $100 more than the one I got. I asked him if they had a regular 21sf in the back and he went and looked and brought out the one I got and it was $100 less. No reason why other then they got it at a better price. NIB, never used. It's the little things like that, that make me love the guys we deal with. 

• Like 1
Like Mac I also built one on a CMT upper and lower. Fantastic gun but it was built sort of high end on purpose.

When Aero Precision came out with their set I built a value version. Worst AR build I've ever suffered through. Almost every single component had to be hand worked to get it to fit decently. My upper and lower from them were early generation and they may have addressed the issues but I can't recommend them from personal experience.

My M&P 10 is still one of my faves and can be bought at a decent price. I took the front sight off and installed a rail and am very happy with the gun and it is more accurate than I am.

Mark
  • Like 1
Another happy M&P10 camper here. Aside from the stupid handguards, I don't think you could build a better gun for another $1,000 than they're charging. I'm a righty, but love the fully ambi features of the Smith.

I dropped a 3.5lb single stage trigger in it and WHAMMO! awesome rifle.
  • Like 1

Look up a Mk11/SASS build.

Clone it - dont but one. Since its Delta Force Navy SEAL tacticool it calls for crazy prices.

Think PSA is doing an AR10 build kit sale - Id buy that then throw an XLR Lite stock on it and a Noveske or Lilja barrel.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I went to Afghanistan for work and got to shoot one of those it appears. We met with a Green beret unit and they let us shoot a bunch of stuff and one of them was a 308 suppressed that looked just like one of those. Got to shoot some distance that I've never shot before. Cool rifle though 

Edited by jwhjwh54
  • Like 2

Go for a  type II receiver. I have two matched sets for future builds.  Most of the sales that are on now are for type I receivers. One is going to be in REM .260 for long range and suppressor use by a friend. He plans on using his 6.8 can. The other will probably be in .338 for heavier projectiles closer in. 

Well I've been thinking of putting together a new rifle. Right now I'm considering an ar10. I've never done any long range stuff and now that I have a place to do it I would like to try it. I need some suggestions and help figuring out exactly what I need to get up to 1000yd. I would like to stay under $2500 but get as much rifle as I can. I would also like it to be a semi auto with decent magazine capacity. I'm a fan of the ar platform so I was just starting there. Thanks

If you're looking for a dedicated 1000 yard gun, and it has to be an AR-10 platform, I think $2500 should get you the gun, but you'll spend another $2k or more for glass on it.  If it's just for fun and only want to reach out on occasion to see if you can, then you might make that $2500 budget all together.  Just to be clear, I'm no F-class or regular big bore shooter, but regardless of what anyone may claim 1000 yards is a LONG way out there for most rifles (and shooters), especially gas guns.

• Like 1