Why are pickup trucks so expensive?

If the public will ban together, and not buy, then this will drive down market price.  As long as we are willing to pay, then the market is the market. 

And, there you have it. They're selling like hotcakes, price stays up & up &...........

Trucks are no longer just a working man's vehicle. Now they are a status symbol. If it has 4 doors and only a 4 foot bed, it's not a truck. It's an SUV without a trunk lid. If you can't put a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in it, it's not a truck. If you are a Suburban Warrior with a LD complex, then a big expensive truck will compensate. 

• Like 2

Works out to just barely over 2% inflation rate per year, so no it isn't out of line ...

When the standard inflation rate is 1.5%, 2% per year is 25% too much.

And 4% raises every year? That be the stuff dreams are made of. I'd be surprised if my take home pay has increased 4% total over that 9 yr span. Generally I'm happy if the "raise" is more than the healthcare premium increase. Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

When the standard inflation rate is 1.5%, 2% per year is 25% too much.

And 4% raises every year? That be the stuff dreams are made of. I'd be surprised if my take home pay has increased 4% total over that 9 yr span. Generally I'm happy if the "raise" is more than the healthcare premium increase.

Average rate of inflation, 2006-2015 is 1.77%, this is below historical inflation rates due to the extended recession during the period, so technically you are somewhat correct ( http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/ ) ...

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 extended cab with 220,000 miles on it that I bought new.  I drive it out to southern Oklahoma every year to dove hunt and end up putting about  4,000 miles on it while out there.  Truck has been well maintained, kept inside, has never been wrecked, has no rust, bed was sprayed when it was new, has a bed liner and has only done a moderate amount of towing.  Just your basic F-150 with air, power windows and door locks and cruise control.  Live about 30 miles out of town and drive this truck at least once a week.  I like this truck and have about decided to get the truck mechanically rebuilt when something major gives out.  The interior would only need new seat covers and cushions.  Current paint is fine even with scratches.  I just plane like this old truck.  Just want to keep it mechanically ready to take off across the country if I want to. 

While out in Oklahoma got to ride 100+ miles in a 2015 fully Loaded Chevy pickup.  Rode great, comfortable and had every accessory know to mankind.  The reason that the outfitter had the loan of the this truck was his two-year old loaded Chevy pickup had a small part go out in the transmission and he is good friends with the dealership's service manager.  The "small part" and its installation cost  $1000.  I decided then that the high cost of a new truck was not worth it.  Have I said I just like my old truck?

• Like 1

Trucks are no longer just a working man's vehicle. Now they are a status symbol. If it has 4 doors and only a 4 foot bed, it's not a truck. It's an SUV without a trunk lid. If you can't put a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in it, it's not a truck. If you are a Suburban Warrior with a LD complex, then a big expensive truck will compensate. 

Hey!  I don't need a big truck to have a small pecker!  I can do that just fine without the truck, thank you very much!

• Like 3

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 extended cab with 220,000 miles on it that I bought new.  I drive it out to southern Oklahoma every year to dove hunt and end up putting about  4,000 miles on it while out there.  Truck has been well maintained, kept inside, has never been wrecked, has no rust, bed was sprayed when it was new, has a bed liner and has only done a moderate amount of towing.  Just your basic F-150 with air, power windows and door locks and cruise control.  Live about 30 miles out of town and drive this truck at least once a week.  I like this truck and have about decided to get the truck mechanically rebuilt when something major gives out.  The interior would only need new seat covers and cushions.  Current paint is fine even with scratches.  I just plane like this old truck.  Just want to keep it mechanically ready to take off across the country if I want to. 

While out in Oklahoma got to ride 100+ miles in a 2015 fully Loaded Chevy pickup.  Rode great, comfortable and had every accessory know to mankind.  The reason that the outfitter had the loan of the this truck was his two-year old loaded Chevy pickup had a small part go out in the transmission and he is good friends with the dealership's service manager.  The "small part" and its installation cost  $1000.  I decided then that the high cost of a new truck was not worth it.  Have I said I just like my old truck?

This could be a country song Brad Paisley would sing...
I have an 04 Nissan Frontier XE crewcab with the extended bed, it had 149k miles on it when I got it, was $6,000 plus a $2,000 down payment and since then I have only done regular maintenance and it's almost up to 175k miles and still going strong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try the Toyota Tacoma . It's the best bang for the buck in my opinion . I have 12 years of experience with the Tacoma .

I have the grandfather of the Tacoma, a 1986 Toyota truck with about 235,00 miles. It's my hunting, fishing and honey-do list vehicle. Belonged to my moms till she passed 4 yrs ago. I can't even imagine how I'll be able to afford these new trucks if I had to get cause I don't know how I'll get along without a truck of some kind.
  • Like 1