BudsGunShop gun sold to Memphis resident was a stolen gun!

http://wreg.com/2016/01/07/federally-listed-stolen-gun-released-in-public/

The link has a video from NewsChannel3 in Memphis.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A gun listed as stolen made it's way into the hands of an unsuspecting buyer.

The Mid-South woman said she's a victim after she purchased the assault rifle legally but somehow it slipped through the cracks and she took it home.

After having the gun for more than a week she was told to immediately take the firearm back to the pawn shop she picked it up from.

On Thursday, the TBI confirmed to WREG the gun was listed in a federal database as being stolen.

Now, the woman who purchased the gun, Israel Britt-Taylor, said she wants to warn other gun buyers and the community.

"That's a serious weapon that's on the street man. This gun is no game. And in telling you that is a serious threat."

From her home Thursday afternoon, Taylor showed WREG the AK-47 style handgun she bought online in December.

She purchased it from Buds Gun Shop, a company out of Kentucky.

The gun enthusiast said she is an avid shooter and purchased the gun not just for pleasure but protection.

"I wanna protect my home right now because it's only me and mine, my kids you know--I'm gonna protect my home."

When she bought the gun it was sent to Mid America Pawn off Park Avenue.

They had a federal firearms license and could do the necessary checks so she could take it home.

However there was a problem.

After checking with the TBI the gun came back as stolen.

Taylor thought she bought the gun brand new.

"Straight out the box, not even the seal broken."

A short time later the pawn shop owner said after talking again with a TBI supervisor things changed.

The gun was good to go and Taylor could take it home.

Taylor said she had the gun for more than a week but Wednesday she got a call,  this time MPD said the gun needed to be returned.

"TBI says oh ya that gun is stolen--out of a warehouse," she explained.

She said she was told the firearm needed to  be returned as soon as possible.

WREG was there when she went back to the pawn shop Thursday, not too happy about what she called a dangerous mistake.

"How many of these weapons are out here? Period. This a Draco--AK family. A serious gun."

The TBI told WREG it put a hold on the gun on December 29 when it showed up as stolen.

MPD was then supposed to go to the pawn shop and check it out to see if it matched the gun listed in their database.

According to the TBI, the dealer resubmitted the information the next day, and included a typo which caused the gun to be released to Taylor.

The TBI also said they didn't know the gun was released until Wednesday when they were alerted by MPD.

As for the online company that initially sold the gun, Buds Gun Shop, they said they have no idea how it could be stolen.

The pawn shop also believed there must have been some kind of clerical mix up with TBI.

Unless Bud's had some sort of inventory glitch and thought they had some guns stolen and reported them even though they were actually still there, it has to be some combination of errors, wrong serial typed in on TICS submission, wrong serial number on the stolen firearm database,  something or other.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yea clerical issue of some type, but if not, wow!  I wonder if a ATF investigation will be created to investigate.  Would like to know the conclusion.

I would say somewhere along the line the wrong ser.# got put into the stolen data base. All it takes is one missed key stroke when entering the ser.# along the line and everything goes down hill after that. Just like the typo that caused the gun to be released. Sounds like a big SNAFU to me.   :2cents:

"The TBI told WREG it put a hold on the gun on December 29 when it showed up as stolen.

MPD was then supposed to go to the pawn shop and check it out to see if it matched the gun listed in their database.

According to the TBI, the dealer resubmitted the information the next day, and included a typo which caused the gun to be released to Taylor.

The TBI also said they didn't know the gun was released until Wednesday when they were alerted by MPD.

As for the online company that initially sold the gun, Buds Gun Shop, they said they have no idea how it could be stolen.

The pawn shop also believed there must have been some kind of clerical mix up with TBI."

Edited by crossfire

What about the comments about it being a dangerous weapon and how many of them are on the street? That seemed out of place to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are dangerous!  Shoots a fireball about 6 feet long!  I had one LOL

What about the comments about it being a dangerous weapon and how many of them are on the street? That seemed out of place to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing I was thinking sounds like a troll on a forum. I don't know any gun owners that would make that statement. Yes they can be very very dangerous and the 5,000 lb. SUV you drive can be pretty dangerous too. Duh come on now. I would like to get the whole story on this.

Therr are issues with gun checks. I know of a gun run one day that was listed as clean. It was run the next day being sold and came back stolen. It was reported stolen in 2007. This story happened in 2015. TICS refused to explain how it happened.