Glock 19 Vickers Tactical

willis68

Ok so this is  probably a stupid question, I have 2 Glocks (23 and 17) which I shoot at the range a moderate amount and carry occasionally (usually i am a Sig SA/DA guy).  I have never really considered that I need an extended slide release?  I usually don't use it very much.  I generally  pull back on the slide to release it (I was taught it is a slide catch (stop), not a slide release).  After reading this I am wondering if I am missing out?  Could someone explain why I need an extended one?  I am guessing for competition.  I don't compete much?

Edited by ma6907

Ok so this is probably a stupid question, I have 2 Glocks (23 and 17) which I shoot at the range a moderate amount and carry occasionally (usually i am a Sig SA/DA guy). I have never really considered that I need an extended slide release? I usually don't use it very much. I generally pull back on the slide to release it (I was taught it is a slide catch (stop), not a slide release). After reading this I am wondering if I am missing out? Could someone explain why I need an extended one? I am guessing for competition. I don't compete much?

I tried one and didn't like it. I hit it a few times with my thumb, preventing the slide from locking back on empty. They are cheap and easy to install, but if you aren't sure, I would leave your pistol alone.
  • Like 1
I just shot this pistol for the first time, after a few shots I got used to this sight set up and really like it, like every other Glock I have owned it goes bang every time I pulled the trigger, this one just feels better and is more accurate than my previous models,

I am very pleased with this purchase
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

I tried one and didn't like it. I hit it a few times with my thumb, preventing the slide from locking back on empty. They are cheap and easy to install, but if you aren't sure, I would leave your pistol alone.

I was going to post pretty much the same thing.  I have two of them in my parts bin because I tried them and found that I was riding them with my thumb, preventing the slide from locking back.

I was going to post pretty much the same thing. I have two of them in my parts bin because I tried them and found that I was riding them with my thumb, preventing the slide from locking back.

I've had the same issue with the Vickers. When I purchased my first Glocks, I went with Glock's extended version. I've had no problems with it.

I've had the same issue with the Vickers. When I purchased my first Glocks, I went with Glock's extended version. I've had no problems with it.

I realize it's all subjective to the individual, but I agree with TDR, when I've felt the need for extended slide and mag release on my Glocks; I've stayed with factory parts. jmo  

The slide release did not bother me shooting, but to be honest I would not pay for one over stock, the Magazine release I love

And the Tango Down base pads make this gun great for me
When I get my 43 I will definitely put the extended Magazine release on it but not the slide release Edited by willis68
  • Like 1

The slide release did not bother me shooting, but to be honest I would not pay for one over stock, the Magazine release I love

And the Tango Down base pads make this gun great for me
When I get my 43 I will definitely put the extended Magazine release on it but not the slide release

The 43 is a Gen 4 style release on a small grip. You may not wanna mess with that one.

• Like 1

The 43 is a Gen 4 style release on a small grip. You may not wanna mess with that one.

Got ya buddy, I have not seen one in person yet, I bought one on Gun Broker from New Mexico,I will have it when I come back from my next offshore trip. Yesterday I looked around locally, even tried to Pre Pay for a future delivery with a couple of gun shops, they all told me it may be 1 to 6 months for delivery,

Must be a popular gun, Edited by willis68

Got ya buddy, I have not seen one in person yet, I bought one on Gun Broker from New Mexico,I will have it when I come back from my next offshore trip. Yesterday I looked around locally, even tried to Pre Pay for a future delivery with a couple of gun shops, they all told me it may be 1 to 6 months for delivery,

Must be a popular gun,

I carry one every day. You should have hollered. Anyway, I have gen 3's and Gen 4's. I have always been happy with the stock Gen 4 mag releases.