What does this billboard say?

Dustbuster

It's a Christian billboard.  I can't read the last several lines because it's whited out by the light, but based on the way it's written in classical Arabic, I'm assuming it is a Bible verse.  The top line is simply a question which loosely translates to: "Hey brothers, are you looking for true peace?"  The line just below it just says Christ, but has God (Allah) on the end.  I'm not familiar with how Jesus and God are referenced in Arabic, so I'm assuming it is some reference to the divinity of Christ?  I dunno.  Definitely not Muslim, though.

Well... If we're gonna introduce them to Jesus, we might as well throw in some beer and ribs! Let's get them all the way out of their creepy #### in one pop.

Trust me, Arab Christians drink. I've been to a couple of Christian weddings in Iraq. First off, they party better than most American weddings I've been to. Secondly, they drink.... a lot; and they want you to drink more. Third, if I hadn't already met the love of my life, I would have walked out of one of those weddings with a new wife.
  • Like 2

Trust me, Arab Christians drink. I've been to a couple of Christian weddings in Iraq. First off, they party better than most American weddings I've been to. Secondly, they drink.... a lot; and they want you to drink more. Third, if I hadn't already met the love of my life, I would have walked out of one of those weddings with a new wife.

Arab Muslims drink too, they just keep it a bit more low key.  During OIF 1, I was living at the Mosul water purification plant for a few months with my three man GSR team, and a two man sniper team.  The night before his wedding, a worker at the plant who lived in the village next to the plant came home drunk as a single Soldier in the barracks on Saturday night.  He and I played war with a deck of cards for what felt like an hour as blotto set in on him, then he stumbled home.  Later we learned that he had gone into Mosul and hit up a brothel while getting drunk before the big day.

I like to think of Arabs as the west was in the 1400s/1500s...the overall culture was very conservative and religious, but plenty of the people can be some lecherous drunks when the opportunity presents itself.

Arab Muslims drink too, they just keep it a bit more low key. During OIF 1, I was living at the Mosul water purification plant for a few months with my three man GSR team, and a two man sniper team. The night before his wedding, a worker at the plant who lived in the village next to the plant came home drunk as a single Soldier in the barracks on Saturday night. He and I played war with a deck of cards for what felt like an hour as blotto set in on him, then he stumbled home. Later we learned that he had gone into Mosul and hit up a brothel while getting drunk before the big day.

I like to think of Arabs as the west was in the 1400s/1500s...the overall culture was very conservative and religious, but plenty of the people can be some lecherous drunks when the opportunity presents itself.

Oh I have knocked plenty back with my Muslim fighters. Problem is they're secretive about it and ashamed due to the culture. They can't handle their booze though. It's like drinking with college kids. They like their whores too.

Saudis are the only Muslims I've drank with that can hold their liquor. They're not as shy about it either, but they also don't really believe in Islam. I've had a Saudi openly explain to me that Islam is a crappy fairy tale. This was in Allah's blind spot, otherwise known as the Emirates. He'd have been tossed in jail for saying that in Saudi. They're pretty bold in UAE, although it's still a crime to talk negatively about the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH)... heh.

This was in Allah's blind spot, otherwise known as the Emirates.

Ah yes, the old adage "Allah's eyes don't see over the water."  At least that's how it was explained to me by a Kuwaiti while I was living there a few years back.  Bahrain is a blind spot as well if memory serves. I threw a few back at a Holiday Inn Express myself during an overnight there.

Doesn't sound like Allah is all that powerful if he has blind spots

Lots of folks must think Jehovah has them too, 'cause there are plenty of "just in case" Christians. They often suggest I become one too;  like the Big Guy can't see through one who is merely hedging his bets with lip service?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 4

Lots of folks must think Jehovah has them too, 'cause there are plenty of "just in case" Christians. They often suggest I become one too; like the Big Guy can't see through one who is merely hedging his bets with lip service?

- OS

Just in case Christians...lol

Is that like being a little pregnant?

Jesus warns the hypocrites numerous times and best i can tell, the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob doesn't have blind spots.
  • Like 1

Yep. I had a real good friend that was born and reared in Beirut. He and his family had converted to Christianity at some point, probably after they came to the US. We did LOTS of drinking.

So maybe a billboard in their native language ain't such a bad idea. Maybe get a few converts over to the fun side.

Side note, I was cleaning out an office the other day and collecting up material that needed to be burned, and my Muslim counterpart was giving me a hand. He opens up the desk drawer where there is a Bible and just says, "This too?" So I give him a hard time and tell him, "No, you can't burn the Holy Bible!", where some folks down the hall could hear. So he gets all butt hurt about it because Muslims also believe in the OT and NT, mostly, and therefore also consider the Bible to be sacred. So all we need them to do is forget about the 3.0 version and come back to the old school. It's easier and more fun.

Lots of folks must think Jehovah has them too, 'cause there are plenty of "just in case" Christians. They often suggest I become one too;  like the Big Guy can't see through one who is merely hedging his bets with lip service?

- OS

They'll have a place in paradise and you'll be burning in hell.  That's all they're interested in.  Just ask them.  I grew up in the wrong church with the wrong people.

They'll have a place in paradise and you'll be burning in hell.  That's all they're interested in.  Just ask them.  I grew up in the wrong church with the wrong people.

Yeah, the "hey just go ahead and believe, if we're wrong no big deal, but if we're right keeps ya out of hell" crowd.

Like you can can somehow "choose" to believe in something you absolutely don't in reality, at least enough for a get out of hell free card -- and of course that a supposedly all knowing supernatural being wouldn't see through such a poor sham in the first place. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Back in the day, my Mom worked as a tour guide in Niagara Falls (grew up near there). Occasionally she had some high-profile clients, one was some big oil Sheik and his entourage - booked her exclusively for a few days. Spent 3-days in a Limo (usually gave tours in a 40-passenger bus), gave her a diamond ring afterwards as a "token of the sheik's appreciation".

She was informed by one of the handlers from NYC, to speak to the staff at the restaurants very quietly, and if anyone in the group ordered an "Iced Tea", they should bring them a Long Island variety, but since alcohol is illegal for Mooslim's, they would never ask for it, however b/c they wouldn't want to offend their hosts, they wouldn't send the drinks back.....

I haven't trusted A-rab's since I was about 9-years old.

- K