Accidental shooting at gun range

TripleGGG

hope the injured party is ok and recovers 100% soon! I was a member and quit going there when I lived in Knoxville because of the lack of muzzle discipline among shooters --- and the staff's non-desire to do anything about it. Edited by Peace
  • Like 2

hope the injured party is ok and recovers 100% soon! I was a member and quit going there when I lived in Knoxville because of the lack of muzzle discipline among shooters --- and the staff's non-desire to do anything about it.

If that's documented then someone's going to own either a gun range or the money for selling a gun range.

That's good news!  - a ricochet is nothing to laugh at, but it is almost always light-years better than being the first thing a round hits.  

- and when I say "staff's non-desire", I mean that every time I saw someone do something like.... oh...  put the muzzle of a loaded 380 into the palm of their hand as they were trying to rack the slide... while pointing the muzzle everywhere but downrange... I first tried to help them regain their muzzle discipline, understand what comes out of "that end of the thing", and then would quietly and politely alert staff that someone is struggling to maintain muzzle discipline and may need assistance.  I never once got what felt like a grateful response.  -- and there was certainly no rush for staff to get into the range area.  -  If it helps, I moved away in 2012, so it may have changed hands since then.  - I hope those days are long behind that range.

• Like 1

I may have live a sheltered life, but the public shooting ranges or the ones people pay to shoot, I have only been to a couple, and those when I went it was very slow maybe only me or one other at the range.  I have never experienced crazy unsafe practices.  Now with that said, I could only imagine the horrors of unsafe practices with lots of people on line.  I doubt I will ever go to one of those ranges since I have my own place to shoot.

I was at one yesterday and saw a woman hurt herself badly by wrapping her offhand thump over the top on a hipoint. She even had someone there helping her.

Lots of poor gun handling had me twitching the whole day. One loose round inside a concrete box and...

I'd rather shoot our doors in the rain!

hope the injured party is ok and recovers 100% soon! I was a member and quit going there when I lived in Knoxville because of the lack of muzzle discipline among shooters --- and the staff's non-desire to do anything about it.

The lack of disciplinary action was why I stopped going. I would voice my concern and they either did nothing or said "yeah I saw that, that's why you should always know your surroundings" that was the last day I stepped foot in there.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk Edited by LI0NSFAN

That place is bad for ricochets, seen part of a jacket of a round land on my table before.  Never went back after that.  No clue if the trap just sucks or if someone was acting stupid.

I shot thousands of rounds in that range. I guess I'm fortunate that I never saw a ricochet - but I bet Inhaled a metric ton of toxic dust!

That is no joke either. I got lead poisoning a few years back. I believe it was from the amount of shooting I was doing more so than the casting. Hard to say though but I definitely had lead poisoning and a pretty bad case at that.

I shot thousands of rounds in that range. I guess I'm fortunate that I never saw a ricochet - but I bet Inhaled a metric ton of toxic dust!

I've been hit twice by ricochets at major Matches. Once on a steel challenge stage with a 45......and I was at the safe table. That one left a mark on my fat cheek and one from a wussy 9mm on the arm.

According to their Facebook page the range is closed today while they are "installing ballistic rubber to help stop the ricochet threat".

The last time I was there several years ago I had the pleasure of watching the biggest hunk of lead ever to leave a firearm headed right for me but it was moving slow and I simply stepped aside.

• Moderators
I went by a few months ago and was going to shoot but wasn't impressed with how I was greeted. Almost like I was an inconvenience. Glad I didn't now. ORSA mid-afternoon during the week for me. I have shot at Frontier Firearms indoor range in Kingston and was very pleased with everyone there. Actually saw them turn someone away unless they received some training. Had you heard the questions being asked you would have been happy they refused them access to the range. Edited by ggwilde
I am friends with the person who was injured and fortunately she is recovering as well as can be expected. She can't give many details because it is still being investigated by law enforcement but based on what little I heard, this was totally preventable and a major screw up for the person who fired off the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk