Getting back in the gym...

I see a lot of guys talking about being prepared for a SHTF situation, but I notice a trend with a lot of us that was raised on good Southern cooking, and that is a serious problem with being in shape.

I've always been pretty athletic and I have a decent amount of knowledge when it comes to nutrition and working out, but in the last four years I gained a lot of weight due to constant travel, divorce, stress, etc. I smoked cigarettes for 11 years and when I "quit" smoking I was never without a chaw in my mouth.

Recently, I had a come to Jesus moment about my health. I'm not getting younger. I am no longer "invincible." Nothing in particular happened to me, I just got sick and tired of feeling sick and tired all the time. I used to run four miles a day and I ate great, but my lifestyle changed when work became mostly about travel and free catered food with a dessert spread that would make any man drool at almost every gig.

For the past few months I've dropped a great deal of fat from working out 5-6 days a week with weights and cardio and from eating a very clean and balanced diet of single ingredient foods. Nothing fried. I drink water, black coffee and protein shakes. I quit all tobacco. I feel better than I've felt in years, and I've got the people I work with as accountability buddies. We workout together on the road and eat right.

Anyway, I say all this to say that it won't matter much if your bug out bag is loaded with the best stuff, or if you have the biggest stockpile of ammo and firearms.. Survival of the fittest is for the people that are prepared in all ways. I just want everyone to be the best they can be! Something to think about! Edited by suspiciousmind
  • Like 6

Congratulations! Investing in your health is the best investment you can make. In your line of work, it's especially hard... not that I know first-hand, but I've heard about the lifestyle of musicians. 

I'm mostly a runner, but I work out 4-5 times a week at Franklin Strength in Cool Springs. It was hard the first month and it's still "hard" but it is so much fun. Since I'm 68, most everyone is amazed that I can handle the workouts, but it's because I've stayed physically fit since I left high school. 

• Like 1
Congrats! Life gets in the way regularly, but I also started back exercising when I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I feel much better and I sleep a whole lot better. I'd love to drop that last 10-15lbs, but man is it hard. Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

I sat down and took a serious look at the meds my doctor had me on, my eating habits and lack of activity and said enough. Through a combnation of walking and a low calorie diet I dropped over 30# and am no longer taking any perscription meds. Being healthier is a pretty good thing.

• Like 1
I love the scene in I am legend where Will Smith and his dog are running on a treadmill.
Congrats on getting healthy. We joined the YMCA about a year ago. I run on the elliptical and play with the weights for a few minutes. I definitely feel better.
  • Like 1

I had a similar "come to Jesus" moment about my weight last year. Cut back on what I eat (eliminating carbs and sugar wherever I could) and started walking a couple of miles a day... dropped 40 lbs.... well, closer to 30 lbs at the moment.. it's a constant struggle. I still need to work on my cardio, but at least I feel like I can do that now without keeling over. It's a ton of effort, but I feel better these days than I have for most of my adult life... totally worth it.

• Like 1
After having a bone removed from my wrist in July and five weeks of no use with that hand I had to do self induced rehab on it....after getting the hand back to nearly normal I started lifting weights, now I'm in better shape than I've ever been.... Turning 50 this summer.
  • Like 1
My grandfather always said he had furniture disease because his chest had fallen into his drawers. Lol. He also said be careful because it runs in the family... he wasn't kidding. I'm not overweight, but I can tell I'm getting older and need to get in better shape. I used to hit the gym all the time until about 8 years ago. It's time to start back! Cardio will be my biggest goal with some light strength training mixed in. I travel for work, so that can make exercise more of a challenge.

I'll ride the recumbent or bike. I don't run unless something is chasing me :)
  • Admin Team

Nothing beats running for pure calories expenditure...

I say that -  the Y where I work out has a sort of a ladder on a treadmill type machine.  You put a belt around your waist and start climbing.  The belt is hooked to the brake, so the higher you climb, the faster it goes.  The machine has a marketing label on it calling it the "most cardio efficient exercise machine."  Turns out that's a euphemism for, "this machine is going to do it's level best to kill you before you get off of it."

• Like 1

I've been going to the gym for about a year and half and have struggled losing weight. I feel better and have more stamina but the belly just will not leave. During a recent doctor visit I had my testosterone checked and it was at the low end of the range, Doc suggested trying Androgel, tonight will be my third application, having blood drawn in three weeks, back to see the Doc in four. He says it could help with weight loss, among other things, we'll see. Either way I enjoy the gym and warmer weather the bike will come back out. Turning 61 in June, I have the same belly my dad had, didn't think when I was younger it would happen to me!

• Like 1

My grandfather always said he had furniture disease because his chest had fallen into his drawers. Lol. He also said be careful because it runs in the family... he wasn't kidding. I'm not overweight, but I can tell I'm getting older and need to get in better shape. I used to hit the gym all the time until about 8 years ago. It's time to start back! Cardio will be my biggest goal with some light strength training mixed in. I travel for work, so that can make exercise more of a challenge.

I'll ride the recumbent or bike. I don't run unless something is chasing me :)

I'd reverse the cardio/strength goals. 

Dad had his knees replaced over the last couple years.  During therapy, his comment that jumped out at me was "I had no idea how weak I'd gotten."  Do strength work at a somewhat elevated pace and you'll get cardio at the same time.

Running... agreed, only if something is chasing me.  And I have tools to deal with things chasing me.  I'll take a bicycle any day. 

• Like 1

Nothing beats running for pure calories expenditure...

I say that - the Y where I work out has a sort of a ladder on a treadmill type machine. You put a belt around your waist and start climbing. The belt is hooked to the brake, so the higher you climb, the faster it goes. The machine has a marketing label on it calling it the "most cardio efficient exercise machine." Turns out that's a euphemism for, "this machine is going to do it's level best to kill you before you get off of it."

I think this is called a Jacobs ladder. More affectionately known as Satan's staircase,lmao.
  • Like 1

I've been going to the gym for about a year and half and have struggled losing weight. I feel better and have more stamina but the belly just will not leave. During a recent doctor visit I had my testosterone checked and it was at the low end of the range, Doc suggested trying Androgel, tonight will be my third application, having blood drawn in three weeks, back to see the Doc in four. He says it could help with weight loss, among other things, we'll see. Either way I enjoy the gym and warmer weather the bike will come back out. Turning 61 in June, I have the same belly my dad had, didn't think when I was younger it would happen to me!

Almost everyone over 40 has testosterone at the low end of the range. It's called aging.  :biglol:

You might want to join a workout group if you can find one near where you live. As others have pointed out, it's great to have workout buddies. I work out daily at Franklin Strength. The workout varies from day to day and the attendees vary, but generally we have 4 to 10 adults. Our group workout lasts an hour and the trainer modifies the weights to the abilities of each participant. Today, I remember thinking, "There's no way I would push myself this hard if I was working out by myself."  

Lots of studies show that high intensity workouts are best for boosting testosterone, but it's best to do it under supervision so someone can monitor your form so you don't get injured.

Edited by jgradyc
Good job! I went through a tough period in my life that saw me concentrate on only furthering my career. Pretty single minded conviction. I went from a very athletic 220lbs to 293lbs over the course of about 8 years. I took no time to take care of myself mentally or physically, and it took a tremendous toll. Since January of last year, I have dropped 60lbs and lowered by body fat % from 33 to 15. I will likely not hit my previous mark of 8%, but am really targeting 10%. For me, seeing my 40th birthday on the horizon last year really kicked me into gear.
  • Like 1