Cloud storage backup suggestions needed

Not sure if it will suit your needs or not but I purchased a remote hard drive and periodically transfer copies of important stuff to it.  I keep it locked up in my safe place in case of disaster or computer crash.  I opted for this simply because I did not want to depend on someone else as to security of the info.

• Like 2
One word ... Dropbox. Most of the others simply backup, but Dropbox backups and allows you to access your files, pictures, music etc, like a remote desktop. Your can also link all your computers and phones and decide what gets backed up. The benefit of this, is that it's like having all my files not only backed up on line but also on all my other devices. Redundancy is great.
I've made all my computer folders linked to my Dropbox and can't lose anything. Doesn't gum up internet speeds either. Can't say enough good about it. I can also send links to people for them to access specific files, if I want them to. Edited by Smith
You talking data backup or a whole desktop backup? Carbonite is pretty good - but I also like OneDrive.

You can also setup a FTP server via your router with an external hard drive or have a dedicated wifi FTP Western Digital sharedrive.

For actual computer image backup I have a Windows Server box setup that I use WDS on - which is overkill for a few machines but its good to do weekly capture in case something craps out.

Of course nothing beats doing a manual backup on an external hard drive or flash device on your own.

If youre running a Linux distro I reallu like using Duplicity and configuring my home FTP server as the place to put it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I would recommend CrashPlan and a local backup - either a flash drive or external hard drive.

Here's why:  

CrashPlan is similar to Carbonite.  The great thing is that it automatically does the backup and you don't have to initiate it.  The backup will really slow down your computer.  CrashPlan has a switch so you can control how many of the system resources are used when you are using your computer.  

Carbonite didn't have this feature in the past.  I'm not sure if they added it.

I'm pretty sure that Barracuda is for organizations, meaning that it would be much more complicated to use.

I recommend a local backup because downloading all of your info from the Internet will take a long time.

Depending on the amount of storage needed there are enough free storage solutions available.  iCloud, Dropbox, Google docs, etc.  If you have a CD or better yet a DVD writer you can backup files to those or an external drive for local backup.  But if you are not actively backing up, then a service is better because you can set them to only do changed files after the initial full backup.

• Moderators

One word ... Dropbox. Most of the others simply backup, but Dropbox backups and allows you to access your files, pictures, music etc, like a remote desktop. Your can also link all your computers and phones and decide what gets backed up. The benefit of this, is that it's like having all my files not only backed up on line but also on all my other devices. Redundancy is great.
I've made all my computer folders linked to my Dropbox and can't lose anything. Doesn't gum up internet speeds either. Can't say enough good about it. I can also send links to people for them to access specific files, if I want them to.

Agree 100%. All of my files and backups sit on Dropbox. Very inexpensive if you need more space.

http://crashplan.com

Best one on the market.  Unlimited space, unlimited versioning.  Never once had a single problem in 5 years of using them, and we have definitely used them.

It's also about the most user-friendly/hands-off system you can have.  I've got hosted servers and could easily dump data onto one of them via FTP, but crashplan is so much simpler.  Mine is set to backup every 30 seconds so there's  very little chance even in a fire that I would lose more than 1-2 minute's worth of work.

I think they do a 30 day free trial (or used to at least) you should give them a shot, it works on both windows and mac.

Edited by Sam1

I should have been clearer. I'm mainly concerned a out photos, videos, and documents.

crashplan, it defaults to save your my documents (pics, videos, documents, music) automatically when it installs.  You can change it from there. 

whatever you do, Do NOT use idrive.  I switched from crashplan to them about 6 months ago to save a few dollars and their software was uploading entire copies of my computer over and over.  According to the usage on comcast's site, I went from using roughly 30-40gb/month to over 250gb/month after installing their software.  Promptly removed it and went back to crashplan, will not be switching again.

• Like 1

I should have been clearer. I'm mainly concerned a out photos, videos, and documents.

That is what I thought you meant.  I am the same and utilize an external hard drive.  I just plug it in periodically and drop any photos or documents of importance to it and place it back in a fire resistant safe place.  If I need to access any info I just plug in. 

whatever you do, Do NOT use idrive.  I switched from crashplan to them about 6 months ago to save a few dollars and their software was uploading entire copies of my computer over and over.  According to the usage on comcast's site, I went from using roughly 30-40gb/month to over 250gb/month after installing their software.  Promptly removed it and went back to crashplan, will not be switching again.

Damn good point to consider in these days of data usage limits.  Especially if people have kids who stream or play video games a good bit. 

Another +1 for Dropbox. Your files sync automatically online at dropbox.com and on all other computers you have shared your dropbox with. And it is fast!

I can click Save on a file on my laptop and less than 10 seconds later I can hear it sync on my wife's laptop across the room. 

You can also share a file or a folder with anyone.  This is a really convenient feature. I use it to back up my wife's laptop on my dropbox account.

I use Carbonite and like it. It's easy to use and I can access my files from any computer. It doesn't have the "share with others" feature of Dropbox.

I have a spare HDD in my PC that I also dump stuff to as a backup. Makes it easier to just copy from the spare drive if I ruin something, but Carbonite has me covered if the whole PC goes south or is stolen.

If you are just backing up a few gigs of personal data, a free solution like Dropbox, Google Drive, or Microsoft One Drive will probably meet your needs. They all have a program you can install locally. You edit the setting of the program to point it at the folders where your files are and it will automatically backup your files. I personally use Google Drive. They start you off with 15gb of space. The last two years Google ran a "Internet Safety Day" and if you participated they kicked in another two gigs each time. That is plenty of space for me to keep my personal files. I also have my phone linked up to Drive and any pictures I take end up there as well. If I let Google down-convert my pics to something like 12 megapixle resolution, the y don't count the files against my space quota.

Your PC is made of of dozens of gigabytes of files, most of which are Operating System and Programs. Really all you need to worry about is backing up your personal data. If your PC tanks, you'll reinstall the O/S and all the apps. Your files are what is not easily replaceable. 

Right-click on the folders that hold teh files you are interested in backing up and select properties. That will tell you how much data you are looking at.