Tesla Model 3

I have made decent money off the stock, because I invest in what I know will make me a profit.... Just like FaceBook, I don't have a FB profile, but I believe in the power of narcissism in our society... and I've made a really good return on that one also...

But come on.... I'm pretty tired of hearing all this FLUFF......

There's something like 300k orders for these soleless shoe boxes now. Seriously?

Model 3 orders at 180,000 in 24 hours. Selling price w avg option mix prob $42k, so ~$7.5B in a day. Future of electric cars looking bright! @elonmusk

I made this..... =)

They do look pretty similar.

newWheel_zpsm7pksfn8.png

Edited by SupaRice
  • Like 1

A prius will not do 0-60 in under 6 seconds either. (still wouldn't buy one)

Yeah, but if performance is your thing.... You're not looking at a Telsa.  I mean the P85 Model S is fast .... in a straight line ... but so what. It's like the auto equivalent of Richard Simmons.

A Prius requires gas, this does not.  Apples and oranges really.  I never understood why people care so much about what other people want to spend their own money on.  It comes across as jealousy even if it isn't intended.  If you don't want one, don't buy one.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 4

If I had $100K to spend on a car, I'd consider a Tesla.  I think they're a cool concept.  This biggest issue with the electric car concept is performance, Telsa proved it can be done.  Innovation has to start somewhere.  20 years from now these things may go 2K miles, or not, who knows.   They're still powered by fossil fuels, just indirectly.  

• Like 3

A Prius requires gas, this does not.  Apples and oranges really.  I never understood why people care so much about what other people want to spend their own money on.  It comes across as jealousy even if it isn't intended.  If you don't want one, don't buy one.

No kidding.  Don't like the music?  Change the radio station.  Musk has made himself fantastically wealthy selling these things to people who think they're helping to save the planet.  Since we're here, I'm assuming we're not so fortunate so perhaps he knows something we don't.

Yep. A better comparison is the Model 3 to the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt.

Not really....

Prius can be converted to a plug in only.... not to say that qualifies it, but they get an amazingly long way on just electric. Plus the fact that it can run WITH gas to me is a massive benefit over an all electric car.

Not trying to hate, I am after all a shareholder even..... and the concept is a good one... and will probably win out eventually 20 years from now when the battery tech makes it actually practical and cost effective.... and when the expansion of solar and other clean"er" versions of electricity are more readily available.

I just marvel at the marketing behind Tesla, and how they can turn something that really isn't into something that is for so many people....

I mean there is no real reason to buy a Tesla Model S other than you just want one because you think it's cool.... It's not nearly as fast as other $100k cars (all in, not just the sales gimmick mode), it's nowhere near as luxuriously appointed as other luxury cars in the $100k range.... you have to navigate around charging it....  It doesn't REALLY help the environment at all, in fact NOT buying ANY new vehicle helps the environment immensely more than an electric car.

I just wish I was half as good at marketing.  :-\

Edited by SupaRice

...I never understood why people care so much about what other people want to spend their own money on.  It comes across as jealousy even if it isn't intended.  If you don't want one, don't buy one.

I agree 100%...but, I still feel the same way about people who buy Glocks.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 2

Haha.... Hey, at least Glocks don't cost $100k and they work like a sewing machine. Even though I don't have one, I don't fault anyone for running one.

Still, it does seem that any conversation on a gun forum eventually boils down to Glock vs the world.

• Like 1

If I had $100K to spend on a car, I'd consider a Tesla. I think they're a cool concept. This biggest issue with the electric car concept is performance, Telsa proved it can be done. Innovation has to start somewhere. 20 years from now these things may go 2K miles, or not, who knows. They're still powered by fossil fuels, just indirectly.

Agreed 100%.

Another problem with Tesla is that I have yet to see a charging station for one. But tesla does look better than any other EV on the road. Chevy Volt was second. The new Bolt, the Prius, Leaf, all look hideous.

We have had well over 100 years of advancement and innovation for the internal combustion engine, technology for electric vehicles will simply take time.

Agreed 100%.

Another problem with Tesla is that I have yet to see a charging station for one. But tesla does look better than any other EV on the road. Chevy Volt was second. The new Bolt, the Prius, Leaf, all look hideous.

We have had well over 100 years of advancement and innovation for the internal combustion engine, technology for electric vehicles will simply take time.

Several charging stations in west knoxville.

Although I think they call them Testacle's
:) :)
  • Like 2

Agreed 100%.

I think Tesla is installing charging stations around the country. There are one or two in Cheyenne, and I think they're planned for Sheridan as well.

I think Tesla is installing charging stations around the country. There are one or two in Cheyenne, and I think they're planned for Sheridan as well.

So the only Tesla quick charge in Tennessee is at the dealership on Brentwood. But any charging station will add power just not full charge

Agreed 100%.

1908 Baker electric car.  Pretty sure they have had just as much time to advance and innovate for battery power.  

1908_baker_electric_coupe.jpg

Edited by Capbyrd

If I had $100K to spend on a car, I'd consider a Tesla.  I think they're a cool concept.  This biggest issue with the electric car concept is performance, Telsa proved it can be done.  Innovation has to start somewhere.  20 years from now these things may go 2K miles, or not, who knows.   They're still powered by fossil fuels, just indirectly.  

Yes but at rates that are like $3 per hundred miles.  Compared to most gas cars that are closer to $10 to $15 per hundred miles.  With larger percentage of the grid powered by renewable it is more and more likely it is powered by the wind although yes it is at least partially powered by coal, oil, or nuke at scale.

I mean there is no real reason to buy a Tesla Model S other than you just want one because you think it's cool.... It's not nearly as fast as other $100k cars (all in, not just the sales gimmick mode), it's nowhere near as luxuriously appointed as other luxury cars in the $100k range.... you have to navigate around charging it....  It doesn't REALLY help the environment at all, in fact NOT buying ANY new vehicle helps the environment immensely more than an electric car.

With 200+ miles we are talking about 3+ hours of driving on a charge and since most electric car owner charge their car at home and start out the morning with a fully charged vehicle it is rear to have to go near a charging station unless you decide to go on a long trip more then 90 min away from your home.  I would guess the avg american does that maybe twice a year?  I have done a trip that would require me to visit a SC stations once in the last 9 months.

Thanks

Robert

So the only Tesla quick charge in Tennessee is at the dealership on Brentwood. But any charging station will add power just not full charge

There are several Level 4 charging stations in TN.  Telsa calls them super chargers.  They add a lot of miles to your car charge very fast as in 100+ miles in under 30 mins.  There are also Level 3 chargers generally called DC fast chargers and that is what most cars like the Nissan Leaf use.  Most Telsa car owner buy a cord that will work with level 3 chargers although Telsa owners doesn't get those out of the box.  There is also what Telsa call Destitution chargers they are level two chargers and they match what most people will install in there homes and the are pretty much the same outlet one would use for a stove or a clothes drier.  Level 2 charges take longer but tend to be at end points like lookout mount in the Chattanooga area.  A Telsa can even full charge on a level one charger common know as a light socket but at that level it could take days to fully charge from empty.

Each level up will generally double the number of miles one get per 30 min of charge.  Level 4 maxes out at around 170 miles per 30 min.  Level 3 depends on the charger but maxes out around 75 to 100 miles per 30 min.  Level 2 charges depends on the cars as well as the chargers but generally get around 20 to 40 miles per 30 min.  Finally level 1 generally gets you around 4 miles per 30 min only really good for overnight charging.

Since most people with EV plug their EV into there how charging station and leave it on the charger overnight they wake up to a full charge ever morning and only use the charging stations during trips.

Thanks

Robert

1908 Baker electric car.  Pretty sure they have had just as much time to advance and innovate for battery power.  

1908_baker_electric_coupe.jpg

Batteries still represent a huge percentage of the cost of electric vehicles.  As the cost of light weight batteries goes down the millage in the newer vehicles is going up.  If the prices continue to fall that their current level electric vehicles will be cheaper then gas ones without any rebates or avg out cost for fuel for the next few years.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

I bought into TSLA for the GigaFactory they're doing. He will own the battery market, or at least a significant chunk of it. Not to mention the home systems that they're doing, which is a great idea.

GigaFactory is impressive but LG has one in China that can produce allot of batteries as well and are also breaking ground in the EU working on their 3rd factory.  It looks like LG is building infrastructure right now planing for the future.  Likely why the Bolt is getting a fairly good price on their batteries compared to everyone else.  It looks like LG and Panasonic are really working thing to become dominant players in the battery market.

Edited by rmiddle

There are several Level 4 charging stations in TN.  Telsa calls them super chargers.  They add a lot of miles to your car charge very fast as in 100+ miles in under 30 mins.  There are also Level 3 chargers generally called DC fast chargers and that is what most cars like the Nissan Leaf use.  Most Telsa car owner buy a cord that will work with level 3 chargers although Telsa owners doesn't get those out of the box.  There is also what Telsa call Destitution chargers they are level two chargers and they match what most people will install in there homes and the are pretty much the same outlet one would use for a stove or a clothes drier.  Level 2 charges take longer but tend to be at end points like lookout mount in the Chattanooga area.  A Telsa can even full charge on a level one charger common know as a light socket but at that level it could take days to fully charge from empty.

Each level up will generally double the number of miles one get per 30 min of charge.  Level 4 maxes out at around 170 miles per 30 min.  Level 3 depends on the charger but maxes out around 75 to 100 miles per 30 min.  Level 2 charges depends on the cars as well as the chargers but generally get around 20 to 40 miles per 30 min.  Finally level 1 generally gets you around 4 miles per 30 min only really good for overnight charging.

Since most people with EV plug their EV into there how charging station and leave it on the charger overnight they wake up to a full charge ever morning and only use the charging stations during trips.

Thanks

Robert

There are 3 Tesla Supercharges, I stand corrected.  One in Knoxville (Turkey Creek), on at the Chattanooga Airport, and One at the Dealer in Brentwood

GigaFactory is impressive but LG has one in China that can produce allot of batteries as well and are also breaking ground in the EU working on their 3rd factory. It looks like LG is building infrastructure right now planing for the future. Likely why the Bolt is getting a fairly good price on their batteries compared to everyone else. It looks like LG and Panasonic are really working thing to become dominant players in the battery market.

True, and the lithium market is an interesting animal... but the tesla factory will produce American made batteries... and is built to retool quickly