AIM Surplus Security Breach

Garufa

This seems to business as usual in the Internet age. I do a whole lot of banking, shopping, bill paying, ect. online, and I've received free one or two year credit monitoring from 3 or 4 companies that have had their systems compromised. I was pretty upset with the first two, but now I almost don't care. Hackers will always be one or ten steps ahead, and that's a fact I've come to accept.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 3
I knew I hadn't taken that ambulance ride in Australia. Heck, I haven't even been in Australia.

Seriously though, I'll be waiting on my letter

The Australian ambulance ride actually happened to my dad. Edited by KKing

This seems to business as usual in the Internet age. I do a whole lot of banking, shopping, bill paying, ect. online, and I've received free one or two year credit monitoring from 3 or 4 companies that have had their systems compromised. I was pretty upset with the first two, but now I almost don't care. Hackers will always be one or ten steps ahead, and that's a fact I've come to accept.

Agreed.  Just a reality of the world we have now.

Glad to see AIM Surplus being up front about it and showing they care about their customers.

One of my credit cards just got compromised for the second time in 6 months.

There was a charge on it from Victoria's Secret. Now, I'm 52, single and not dating.....pretty sure that one wasn't mine.

You sure you didn't forgot and buy it so you can go in the women's bathroom in the future?
  • Like 2

I appreciate their response - owning up to their mistake and paying for credit monitoring.  That is a lot more than a lot of others do.

I worked in IT at a place that specializes in credit breaches and monitoring. This was a pretty standard offer as far as I recall. There's a pretty strict set of rules governing what constitutes a breach and what must be done based on the level of the intrusion when personally identifying information is exposed.I just don' remember all the subtleties. 

I commend AIM for owning up and providing the credit monitoring, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in most of those services.

I've been caught up in two hacking incidents at work, and the one from Home Depot a while back. In all three cases, I was provided credit monitoring services. A coworker (who was included in one of the work hacks) was buying a house, and the bank refused him a loan, due to his massive credit card balance. He told them he didn't keep a balance on any credit cards. Apparently, someone had opened a credit card in his name and racked up a ton of debt.

He called the monitoring company to find out what was up, and they said "Oh, sorry, we missed that one." He said "That's OK, you'll make it right, right?" to which they said, "Oh, no. We are just a MONITORING company. It's on you to get it all cleaned up"

It's not like they are the ones out there that guarantee you won't get hacked. They just let you know that the damage has already been done.

I got my letter from them yesterday. Took five minutes to sign up. Free for one year. They will let you know when someone is running a credit check on you. I been given two free credit monionting companies from the federal government because of the OPM data breach. Just last week someone in Florida tried to obtain credit with my name and SSN number. As soon as it was run I was notified by both companies. I call back and stopped it all. Not bad for free. So they as a company they are doing it right for there customers.

I froze my credit years ago with the 3 major credit companies..  Now when I want to apply for any loan I have to unfreeze it.

This type of thing happens far 2 often to not take a few steps to protect yourself.  You carry guns to protect yourself from physical threads,  one has to take steps to protect financially as well

• Like 2

There was a charge on it from Victoria's Secret. Now, I'm 52, single and not dating.....pretty sure that one wasn't mine.

It would have been embrassing if you were wearing such special underwear that day your pants fell down at the range.
monitoring ia a bunch of bs. so are all of the lame IT pukes that are supposed to keep the bad guys out. not saying all it guys are bad .... All the talk about compliance and liability is a joke. as someone posted earlier;its the consumers responsibility to clean up damage Afterwards.. goes right aling with hippa and the other crap that is useless....
fwiw i had 2 cards get skimmed in 60 days. i caught one of the users, in florida. dumbasses ordered pizzas from papa johns and had them delivered to their crackhouse scumhole. the local pd was kind enough to take a complaint via phone to get the ball rollling and make an arrest.
bottom line use a separate acct for credit or debit purchases w a small amount in the account and keep your other stuff separate...
Kudos to AIM for the warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, its either this or smoke signals! Edited by Dustbuster
  • Moderators

monitoring ia a bunch of bs. so are all of the lame IT pukes that are supposed to keep the bad guys out. not saying all it guys are bad .... All the talk about compliance and liability is a joke. as someone posted earlier;its the consumers responsibility to clean up damage Afterwards.. goes right aling with hippa and the other crap that is useless....
fwiw i had 2 cards get skimmed in 60 days. i caught one of the users, in florida.
bottom line use a separate acct for credit or debit purchases w a small amount in the account and keep your other stuff separate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, its either this or smoke signals!

This. Constantly have to keep credit card company from raising limit on card I use for online or at gas pumps etc.

fwiw i had 2 cards get skimmed in 60 days. i caught one of the users, in florida. dumbasses ordered pizzas from papa johns and had them delivered to their crackhouse scumhole. the local pd was kind enough to take a complaint via phone to get the ball rollling and make an arrest.
Kudos to AIM for the warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, its either this or smoke signals!

Dustbuster, quick note as to where to guide your irritation.  The IT staff aren't the ones to be mad at.  Unless upper management makes security a priority and spends money in an amount justified by the amount of risk, then IT can't do anything.

On a different but similar note, I have a high level IT security guy that is a friend.  He said that if companies would provide consistent training to team members on how to not click on harmful links as well as use two factor authentication, that many of these breaches wouldn't happen.