22 Ammo Article

Years ago Shooting USA did an episode on .22 production.I think it was Federal,anyway the area where the priming compound was applied was much larger than shown here.Also the floor was rubber and submerged under 2-3 inches of water to eliminate static shock.

11 hours ago, Garufa said:

I'd like to see that CCI video done "How It's Made" style.  Maybe a one hour episode.

How it's made is a great show. The wife hates it but will watch Suprenatural for hours :bored:......go figure. LOL

Edited by Randall53

That video shows the millions of dollars’ worth of custom tooling built to produce that product. That’s why it’s tough to justify buying more tooling to produce more during a spike in sales.

Seeing the amount of lead used in one day is pretty impressive; it goes to show how many people are shooting. Especially when you figure that is just one supplier.

As I watched that I was thinking that the EPA trying to shut down lead production in the U.S. (if they haven’t already) must be a big concern to them. Being dependent on foreign lead will not be good for anyone (except the foreigners).

However I’m sure they are on the front lines of trying to adjust to lead free ammunition. Of course they always have the price of copper to deal with.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

That video shows the millions of dollars’ worth of custom tooling built to produce that product. That’s why it’s tough to justify buying more tooling to produce more during a spike in sales.

Seeing the amount of lead used in one day is pretty impressive; it goes to show how many people are shooting. Especially when you figure that is just one supplier.

As I watched that I was thinking that the EPA trying to shut down lead production in the U.S. (if they haven’t already) must be a big concern to them. Being dependent on foreign lead will not be good for anyone (except the foreigners).

However I’m sure they are on the front lines of trying to adjust to lead free ammunition. Of course they always have the price of copper to deal with.

Good post Dave. It also shows how much 22 ammo is sitting in closets and ammo safes right now!! LOL. I bet there are millions of homes with 10 to 20 thousand rounds of 22lr sitting in them.

I have about 4 to 6 bricks, two of which were before the shortage.  I refuse to buy the overpriced ammo available nowadays, but will get a brick or two as I see them at decent prices.  With all the hoarders and gougers, pretty soon we will be resorting to hunting squirrel with 5.56 no matter how much is made; I already plink with it over .22 due to price.

I have more than I can use up in my lifetime but then I have always had that much even when I was a kid and could buy 50 rounds for 79 cents. I had more than enough to get my when the shortage hit but still bought a little from David and his daughter Sam.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I have more than I can use up in my lifetime but then I have always had that much even when I was a kid and could buy 50 rounds for 79 cents. I had more than enough to get my when the shortage hit but still bought a little from David and his daughter Sam.

I like your style! I have a few extra rounds sitting around, but always on the lookout for a great price on 22. lol I know that's not happening too often these days.