Carrying Question

conn_air7

4 hours ago, btq96r said:

If I'm actually going somewhere, it's more than likely a need versus a whim, so their posting a sign prohibiting firearms isn't likely to dissuade me from going in, or taking my pistol back to the truck.  I get it, for a lot of them, it's a business decision sometimes imposed by insurance policies, or if they're a franchise just part of the overall agreement. 

I also agree with the law making it a crime to carry past the signs.  To me, carrying a weapon after knowing the business doesn't want you to is more than a simple trespass as the argument is made.  And yes, as carry permit holders and responsible firearms owners, we need to be on the lookout for signs on the way in.  If you can't see them, your situational awareness is probably lacking all around.  If you see them and ignore them, then you're the reason the signs have penalty of law behind them.

Make all the protests if it makes you feel better.  That's how free markets work.  Though I doubt there are enough people who carry to keep open or shut any single place of business with their patronage other than the aforementioned gun stores.

I have done the protest thing. Rarely works. My rule these days is real simple. Catch me. 

• Like 4

It's real simple.  If you deprive me of my ability to protect my family from harm I will not enter and spend money in your establishment.  The legality of the postings don't weigh into it for me, it's all about the intent.  I'm not lacking on places to spend money, I'll go somewhere else.

• Like 3

My response to this is simple... Why would you do business with folks that don't share your views or view you as a potential "troublemaker" AKA "...No firewater to the indians.."...?

I vote with my dollars... There are plenty of beaneries that do want your business...

Gubt is another thing altogether... They have a monopoly... I exclude them from my vote as much as possible by doin business by drivin thru the postal drop and ordering my tags on line...

Your mileage may very...

boycottin leroy the armed protestor and geezer boycotter...

• Like 2
My response to this is simple... Why would you do business with folks that don't share your views or view you as a potential "troublemaker" AKA "...No firewater to the indians.."...?
 I vote with my dollars... There are plenty of beaneries that do want your business...
Gubt is another thing altogether... They have a monopoly... I exclude them from my vote as much as possible by doin business by drivin thru the postal drop and ordering my tags on line...
Your mileage may very...
boycottin leroy the armed protestor and geezer boycotter...

I certainly understand where you are coming from, but what about traveling? Given the idea that some states honor 0 reciprocity for a TN HCP, would you never consider traveling to a state that doesn't allow you to carry a gun on you at all times?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 hour ago, conn_air7 said:

I certainly understand where you are coming from, but what about traveling? Given the idea that some states honor 0 reciprocity for a TN HCP, would you never consider traveling to a state that doesn't allow you to carry a gun on you at all times?

For the most part, my answer would be yes. I've no reason to go to Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Maryland,  Washington D.C., etc.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, conn_air7 said:

I carry a concealed firearm wherever i go... I don't go where reciprocity isn't honored...

leroy

I tend to dress nice. I'm gray haired. I'm nearly 70. I just carry where ever I go unless it's a place with a high possibility of getting made by security or law enforcement. In the remote possibility that I am made, my preplanned response would something along the lines of, "Oh! I'm sorry. I just forgot that I was carrying. I'll go put this in my car. Sorry to bother you... won't happen again."

I think I could talk my way out of most situations with a polite approach like this. They don't want the hassle of calling the police either. They just want to avoid the liability of a ND inside the store. 

In the remote chance that approach failed, I have a Plan B story... a true story, that would probably work if the first one didn't.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

.... my preplanned response would something along the lines of, "Oh! I'm sorry. I just forgot that I was carrying. I'll go put this in my car. Sorry to bother you... won't happen again."

Similar to mine, but I prefer, "sorry, just didn't notice the sign" and the rest. Forgetting you have a heater on you at all could be seen as sign of senility. :)

- OS

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Similar to mine, but I prefer, "sorry, just didn't notice the sign" and the rest. Forgetting you have a heater on you at all could be seen as sign of senility. :)

- OS

I'm almost 70. You don't want to mess with armed senile senior. :biglol:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, conn_air7 said:

It's not willfully if you don't see it...

I agree, and I don't make a great effort to look since signs are supposed to be "prominently displayed".  But there's more than a couple posts above where openly state they knowingly carry past signs. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

I agree, and I don't make a great effort to look since signs are supposed to be "prominently displayed".  But there's more than a couple posts above where openly state they knowingly carry past signs. 

Lots of folks say they set their speed control 5mph over the limit too.  Which isn't necessarily a recommendation that you do the same.  ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Lots of folks say they set their speed control 5mph over the limit too.  Which isn't necessarily a recommendation that you do the same.  ;)

- OS

And saying they would or do  doesn't mean they actually do.

Lots of macho manly men brag here on TGO 

Lots of folks say they set their speed control 5mph over the limit too.  Which isn't necessarily a recommendation that you do the same.  default_wink.png
- OS

This immediately came to mind when I read that post, but I refrained from commenting haha.