state legalized pot clarification on 4473 now

Sam1

When picking up the can today, was filling out the 4473 on the computer and this is the first time I have seen it actually advertised... Assumed it was the rule, but looks like they are making it official now:

IMAG0465.jpg

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

Interesting. It was de-criminalized in NY when I lived there, and legally and socially treated quite a bit different than it is down here, that's for sure.

- K

How is it treated or what is the difference between NY and TN? 

It wasn't a big deal up there? I mean, not that you'd see people blazing a joint walking down the street or anything, but a lot of folks would admit to doing it casually, 'back in the day', or what-have you. It wasn't 'verbotten'. Here a lot of times people look at you like a meth-head for admitting to smoking pot when you were in college (while talking about their pappy's moonshine recipe :bored: ).

Don't get me wrong, I've met many people who do smoke down here, native Tennessean's, too, but there is something a bit more forbidden about it, whereas in NY it wasn't any bigger of a deal than a 6-pack of beer. You didn't let your kid get your pipe and stash for you, of course, but it was a lot more casual of a thing. Kinda like illicit liquor production is :biglol: !

- K

Edited by ReeferMac
Typo

@Sam1 I saw that when I bought my gun a couple weeks ago.  I thought to myself that it's interesting a state can make it legal when the feds say otherwise but a border state can't defend it's borders because the feds say they're not allowed to.  But I digress..... :whistle: 

How do people who are addicted to caffeine answer that question? Why don't they ask about alcohol? 

If weed is ever legalized at the federal level it will be very interesting to see what happens with that question on the 4473 form. My guess is that they will leave it alone and try to make it so that you still can't legally buy a gun if you also use marijuana. 

Edited by Erik88
10 hours ago, Sam1 said:

When picking up the can today, was filling out the 4473 on the computer and this is the first time I have seen it actually advertised... Assumed it was the rule, but looks like they are making it official now:

IMAG0465.jpg

Has nothing to do with the state, that's federal. 4473 updated in several areas months ago.

- OS

I can say witha  clear mind and heart that I have never smoked pot in my life and never plan to even if they do make it legal. Wish I could say the same about Old #7 Jack Black cause I have down some of that over the years but never to the state of becoming an alcoholic and still have some on the shelf here to this day. In All honesty I think the Feds are not really putting up a real fight against states making it legal because once they do the Feds will slap a big fat tax on it like they have on Booze, Cigarettes and gasolene and it will just mean more money for the Feds to blow and politicians to steal................JMHO

3 minutes ago, bud said:

Based on the pervasiveness of alcohol, there are certainly many more alcohol addicts than pot addicts filling out 4473's.

The 4473 does mention alcohol, not by name, but it would fall under "controlled substance", "depressant", "stimulant". Being able to prove addiction to alcohol would be a challenge, where proving an applicant had a single use of pot would be much easier.

The fact that the 4473 mentions mj by name is ridiculous. Don't mention the huge opioid epidemic that has plagued our country for decades and causes actual crime, but by all means update the form to clarify that all natural pot is still illegal on a federal level.:screwy:

The alcohol manufacturers must be lobbying harder than ever to keep out their natural, God given competition.

The Feds have to protect the Big Pharm companies and all the Distilleries because of the large profits the Feds are making off of them so naming any particular brand of Alcohol or Prescribed medications would surely be a fight............jmho

13 minutes ago, bud said:

The 4473 does mention alcohol, not by name, but it would fall under "controlled substance", "depressant", "stimulant"....

No, it doesn't, as per federal Control Substances act.

- "The term "controlled substance" means a drug or other substance, or immediate precursor, included in schedule I, II, III, IV, or V of part B of this subchapter. The term does not include distilled spirits, wine, malt beverages, or tobacco, as those terms are defined or used in subtitle E of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986."

-  "The term "depressant or stimulant substance" means—

(A) a drug which contains any quantity of barbituric acid or any of the salts of barbituric acid; or

(B) a drug which contains any quantity of (i) amphetamine or any of its optical isomers; (ii) any salt of amphetamine or any salt of an optical isomer of amphetamine; or (iii) any substance which the Attorney General, after investigation, has found to be, and by regulation designated as, habit forming because of its stimulant effect on the central nervous system; or

(C) lysergic acid diethylamide; or

(D) any drug which contains any quantity of a substance which the Attorney General, after investigation, has found to have, and by regulation designated as having, a potential for abuse because of its depressant or stimulant effect on the central nervous system or its hallucinogenic effect."

- OS

1 hour ago, NextExit said:

@Sam1 I saw that when I bought my gun a couple weeks ago.  I thought to myself that it's interesting a state can make it legal when the feds say otherwise but a border state can't defend it's borders because the feds say they're not allowed to.  But I digress..... :whistle: 

The Feds have never put their stamp of approval on marijuana use. They could stop states like Colorado and Washington tomorrow.

Sessions wants to enforce those laws; it appears to be unclear where Trump stands. (Although I’m sure he will make clear where he stands soon.)

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/politics/white-house-marijuana-donald-trump-pot/

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The Feds have never put their stamp of approval on marijuana use. They could stop states like Colorado and Washington tomorrow.

Sessions wants to enforce those laws; it appears to be unclear where Trump stands. (Although I’m sure he will make clear where he stands soon.)

Nothing more addictive than drugs to .Gov except for new sources of tax revenues.

Besides, what's wrong with a little reefer?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The Left and the False News People are working overtime trying their best to get Sessions removed because they are deathly afraid he is going to do what the job calls for. I  hope Sessions remains Attorney General.............jmho

44 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

Besides, what's wrong with a little reefer?

Nothing according to some Raggae musicians...  Peter Tosh - Legalize It,  Yellowman - Smoke De Herb, and Bob Marley - Smoke Two Joints. Great lyrics from Marley:

I smoke two joints in the morning
I smoke two joints at night
I smoke two joints in the afternoon
It makes me feel alright

I smoke two joints in time of peace
And two in time of war
I smoke two joints before I smoke two joints
And then I smoke two more

1 hour ago, Gotthegoods said:

I for one would not gamble on pot and guns.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but add a gun to a marijuana charge and go from misdemeanor to felony.

"Tell it to the judge, and sir, watch your head as you enter the patrol car."

or lying on the form.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

The Left and the False News People are working overtime trying their best to get Sessions removed because they are deathly afraid he is going to do what the job calls for. I  hope Sessions remains Attorney General.............jmho

This is his own opinion, and even Sean Spicer floated the idea of re-vamped federal enforcement with regards to the states who have it legalized for recreation at a press confrence.  Reporting on what people actually say isn't false, fake, or anything other than real news.  I consider the administration/DOJ stances and actions on marijuana as valid as anything else, because it's one thing that could be fixed with a minimum of fuss.