Rock bottom value of a Garand

I know a lot of you guys know a lot more about them than I do, so what's a functional Garand worth that's had the stock replaced with a sporter type stock, and the barrel cut down but the metal is otherwise decent? What if the barrel hasn't been chopped?

Thanks!

• Wow 1

The replacement stock is only a minor hit. A couple of hundred at most. But that cut barrel is a real killer. For a Garand to have the barrel cut and still function, more than just the barrel was modified. My guess would be maybe $400-500. But frankly, I wouldn't touch it. By the time you replaced the barrel, stock and whatever else is needed, you could have bought a nice original Garand.

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 6
8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

The replacement stock is only a minor hit. A couple of hundred at most. But that cut barrel is a real killer. For a Garand to have the barrel cut and still function, more than just the barrel was modified. My guess would be maybe $400-500. But frankly, I wouldn't touch it. By the time you replaced the barrel, stock and whatever else is needed, you could have bought a nice original Garand.

Thanks for the info @Grayfox54! I suspected that the barrel couldn't just get shortened, and that replacing steel would be a bigger hurdle than replacing wood. But I'm not knowledgeable enough to put actual numbers to it.

You can buy a Service Grade Garand from CMP for $750 right now. Many don’t want to jump through the hoops, so they pay $1000 to $1300 in the private market, with some routinely being priced at $2500. You can also, right now, get a “Special” grade from $650 to $1050 that is refurbished with modern parts, (It doesn’t seem to me many want that)

The above comments that you pretty much have a complete receiver is what I was thinking.

You can buy a complete new production stock from CMP for $157. 45. A new barrel is $200.

The best money you can spend on a Garand right now, if you want the “real deal” that can be a shooter is, the Field Grade for $650 or the Service Grade for $750 from CMP. Either of those easily bring over a grand when sold in the private market.

• Like 2

One of the reasons (some) folks pay more for a CMP rifle is the certificate they issue, as it seems to imply it not, or is less of a hackmaster. Older CMP rifles being of more value than newer in most cases.

Part of the value is having any documentation that helps establish origin. Folks seem to covered its more parts value, so ease of selling would be helped by having any of its history before it was put to the saw.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, TomInMN said:

I know a lot of you guys know a lot more about them than I do, so what's a functional Garand worth that's had the stock replaced with a sporter type stock, and the barrel cut down but the metal is otherwise decent? What if the barrel hasn't been chopped?

Thanks!

Hi Tom!

You have any pics? Would be nice to see, even though it breaks the heart of an M1 purist (I own five of them.) BTW, here's something to just to mess with you guys who miss the "good old days" when you didn't have any money or were too young and didn't know any better.

Ed

2020-01-17 16_07_44-What is a M1 Tanker Garand Rifle_.jpg

Edited by RedlegEd
  • Like 2
30 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

Dang, @RedlegEd, way to twist the knife as it goes in!

http://www.armslist.com/posts/11024990/minnesota-rifles-for-sale--sporterized-m1-g

It's a lefty, and definitely not a purist's gun, but kinda interesting as an example of what people have done with those $100 Garands.

Sorry, didn’t mean for it to hurt...just sting a little. 😁. Too bad you can’t see the whole barrel a little better, and if the scope was D & T or just an add-on mount. If the rifle was otherwise complete, barrel in good condition, and not chopped, $350 is a good price.

Ed

48 minutes ago, RedlegEd said:

Sorry, didn’t mean for it to hurt...just sting a little. 😁. Too bad you can’t see the whole barrel a little better, and if the scope was D & T or just an add-on mount. If the rifle was otherwise complete, barrel in good condition, and not chopped, $350 is a good price.

Ed

It's all good fun!

Yeah, the photos aren't all that helpful. Is there any good/ easy way to tell the difference between a shortened rifle barrel and a legit carbine barrel?

A Garand’s full barrel is 24” long, so really the only way through pictures would be to ask the seller for a better photo of the full barrel to include gas cylinder and operating rod (op rod,) preferably with a yardstick or ruler for scale. I’d also ask for some good pictures of the receiver. Unless you can put your hands on it, it’s really kind of a crapshoot. Can you do face to face sales in MN? That’s where the seller is and if you’re not to far away, it might be worth a drive to look. Could be a good deal if everything else is in good shape and you’re not set on an M1 in its as issued configuration. Even then, if someone hasn’t bubba’d the metal, you can get a military stock relatively cheap.

Ed

Edited by RedlegEd
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, TomInMN said:

Is there a standard barrel length for the Garand Carbine (and tanker versions, heard of them don't know anything) mentioned in the ad you posted? Any good way to tell if a shorter barrel is actually one of those?

There are some custom Garand carbines in .308 with 18-inch barrels, but they are pricey.  Tanker Garands were a concept gun that was explored in late 1944, I think it was, but the guns couldn't be made to work reliably and they were never put into production.  Companies that are making them now are calling them Tanker Garands but in reality there was no such firearm used in WW2.

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

There are some custom Garand carbines in .308 with 18-inch barrels, but they are pricey.  Tanker Garands were a concept gun that was explored in late 1944, I think it was, but the guns couldn't be made to work reliably and they were never put into production.  Companies that are making them now are calling them Tanker Garands but in reality there was no such firearm used in WW2.

Thanks @Whisper!

This came today in an email from CMP. This is not something you would want for a collectable, but would make a good shooter for $650.

That’s also a real Walnut stock; so you could make that thing look sweet.

The CMP Special Rack Grade (.30-06) M1 Garand is a partially refurbished rifle with a refinished M1 WRA or SA receiver, new production criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling.  Receiver is the only part of the rifle that has been refinished.  Remainder of the other parts have NOT been refinished. The Receiver will have heavy pitting above the wood line. We currently have RM1SPECIALRACK for $650 and RM1SPCLRACKWRA for $700 available.

Please visit our website for more details and to print your mail order packet.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

This came today in an email from CMP. This is not something you would want for a collectable, but would make a good shooter for $650.

That’s also a real Walnut stock; so you could make that thing look sweet.

+1 what @DaveTN said. Not collectible, but why spend a ton of $ on something you s/w/couldn't shoot? I guess it's all about what you want to do with the rifle, and if it's to own one and take it to the range and shoot it, it's a great way to go, as would be the sporter you are considering. One of the Garands I have is a CMP "Special" where they fully rebuilt an M1 in .308 using an original refinished Springfield receiver and everything else is new, or unissued old stock. No, it's not collectable to a real Garand purist, but I didn't have one in .308 and for $750, I got a brand new M1 Garand that is an absolute joy to shoot.

Ed

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 6:03 PM, i1afli said:

The rear sight ears have been ground (grinded ?) off so you can’t put a Garand rear site on it. 

OUCH! I was looking at the barrel and stock. Didn't even notice the rear sight. No way I'd touch that thing. :stunned:

The stock seems to be the style from about the 1960s. So this was probably a case of sporterizing a cheap surplus rifle which was quite common in those days. Many classic rifles fell victim to that trend. Although we cringe at the idea now, It made perfect sense back then. 

I noticed that the ad is still active and the price is down to $350. I guess if it gets cheap enough, somebody will eventually buy it. :shrug:

28 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I noticed that the ad is still active and the price is down to $350. I guess if it gets cheap enough, somebody will eventually buy it.

I'd buy it if I was up there. That Leupold Scout scope and mounts would probably cost $200 used. A Leupold scope like that is about $300 new by itself. If you are using optics; you aren’t using the sights anyway.

That’s not a bad deal for someone that wants a 30-06 scoped hunting rifle.

Dang man, and I thought I was a gun snob. :)

:leaving:

• Haha 1