U.S. Air Force's Newest Rifle!

Moped

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

That CryHavoc kit is pretty cool actually...$350 feels steep but they are a smallish company so bills are bills.聽 I too am impressed the Air Force built these at such a reasonable cost to the taxpayer.

They damn sure wouldn鈥檛 get them for that price from KAC! 馃槅

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I doubt they are including the cost of the rifle. I suspect that $1000 is to put a $350 (probably $250 to them) part on an M4 they already have. That doesn鈥檛 seem like a very good deal for taxpayers to me.

I'd say it probably does I could be completely wrong but I believe the cost of a base m4 to the military is under $600...maybe less....that gun is pretty bare bones basic except for that part and the shorter barrel...but its a SHTF gun that will probably sit in that chair for the next 10-15 years.

• Like 2

I was in the Air Force in the 820th聽 Red Horse Battalion. We were trained by the Navy Cee Bees at Point Mugu, and Port Hueneme located around Oxnard California, Santa Barbara in 1966. Before we left for Nam we went through survival training At Eglin AFB, on field 2. While there, we were given extended training on hand to hand combat plus training on the M 16. I had one the whole time I was in Nam.

Most of the other military聽 branches had real problems with their m-16, early in the beginning,聽 because they had bad ammo, as testing showed. Ours were flawless and ran fine if you kept them clean. 聽 We used different ammo than the Army or Marines did. That is how they discovered it was an ammo problem. Our M-16's ran flawlessly.聽

I carried a m-16, in Vietnam, and qualified expert with my rifle. I can't remember what one had to fire to qualify expert, but it was hard. I think one had to fire 97 out of 100 on a man's chest sized target at 75聽 yards with peep sites. Once I learned the peep site, I was off to the races. The rifle I qualified with, I took with me to Vietnam. I then gave it to my replacement after my tour was over.聽

Luckily, we never were in combat, but during the Tet offensive, in 1968, we were聽 back-up to the Marines on the south end perimeter, of the base, at Danang AB. The enemy overran the opposite end (North end next to the Ho Che Min Trail) of the base, and only sent a diversionary force to our end of the base. I could of and would of used the m-16 if forced too. I shot a lot of deer rifles at 100 yards before joining the military so I had no problems with the m-16. That siege lasted for 3 weeks from dusk till dawn. I was dug in, in a fox hole" just 50 yards behind the Marine bunkers along the south perimeter of the air base. 聽

We did a lot of off base construction as I was a Construction Equipment Operator.聽 People always think you fly something when you are in the Air Force. When asked, I told them I flew a "Bull Dozer." That always brought on conversation.聽 You guys are right most "zoomies" never touched a m-16, however some did.聽 And "believe it or not" I could shoot. 聽聽

• Like 7
On 2/19/2020 at 9:51 AM, Ronald_55 said:

My question is how much money did they spend to do this instead of just pulling the 2 pins and separating the upper and lower?聽Put something on the upper to retain the BCG and CH that can be removed easily. Such as this $10 device:

The OAL would be wider by most of the upper receiver length (receiver less the thing-a-ma-jig). So you get more barrel or a shorter upper at any length barrel = a more dense package. And under stress, I'd bet this set-up is easier/ quicker for most who dont handle AR's frequently.

Its pretty cool option for those that want a takedown pistol. The thing that grabbed me was the folding grip. even packing multiple rifles it seems to get in the way.

https://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-pistol-grips/id-2/tactical-folding-pistol-grip-for-m16-m4-ar15.html

I carried one in Vietnam, but never liked the caliber. They are not death ray rifles like many think. I will say I don't have personal experience.

Talked to several Army and Marines who said the were underpowered with Nato ammo. I don't own one today. Have a 308. Now that is more like a rifle, IMHO. YMMV, and that is OK. Each has to work out his own salvation.聽