Time for a new roof...

I got a quote today. WOW!:eek:

I'm getting another quote tomorrow.

I may have to take a few days off and put my two "quarantined" sons to work.

I'm guessing roofing is expensive everywhere?

Is it worthwhile to remove one layer of shingles, or just as good to put a second layer over them?

Edited by gregintenn
9 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

About 10 years ago I needed a new roof. MY BIL was there and I asked him what he thought it would cost, he said $15K. I said “Really, you think it will be that high?”

One of the few times I have lucked out. While I was waiting on quotes, a storm came through and damaged the roof. Insurance paid for a new roof. It was exactly what my BIL had said.

Now I need my trim painted (brick house) and new gutters put on. I can’t find anyone that will do both. I’ve had two different people that I told could paint it after they quoted it; neither showed up. So much for folks needing work. 

Replaced last two roofs on last two houses with metal, I'd never go back to shingles (JMHO).

I like working with a bare canvas, so I'd option to remove the old shingles,like Raoul said make sure the sheeting is good.

Waiting for estimates to restain our house, same boat as you, different part of the house. LOL.

All it takes is $$.

• Like 3

What they said.  I also got lucky and several years ago storms finished off what was left of my roof, so insurance covered it. $11k for shingles on my 2000 sqft house. Metal was $25k, I couldn't afford that. 

Two layers of shingles are OK, some will do 3 layers but that's getting awfully heavy. If you can see the sheathing from the attic and its OK, a 2nd layer is a lot less work if DIY'ing. You can also install metal over the existing shingles. 

Lots of construction going on so you may have to wait a while to get a good roofer

New roofs are always expensive.  We had our 10 yr old roof replaced due to hail damage in '14 or '15, insurance paid for it all but the quote the insurance accepted was around $21,000.  2000 s/f house and a 480 s/f detached garage but hip roofs.  The roofing company stripped the old shingles off, replaced one small piece of sheathing, and painted the roof vents along with new covers where the vents exited the roof line.  Still have beat up gutters and metal skin doors from the hail storm tho.  Insurance said it was cosmetic.

I'm not in the need of a roof, but for everyone that has quoted the price along with the sq footage of the house, has that been for a single story or multi story?    Obviously that makes a big difference in how much roof is actually laid down.  

Completely new roof on house and detached garage 2 years ago. Already had 2 layers, so totally stripped roof, 5 new turbine vents, about 100 ft of wood replaced, and a chimney taken down. Architectural shingles installed.

17K was the best price. A highly rated independent did it.

I almost had a coronary over the cost.

That was here in Nashville. A cousin had a similar job done in Cookeville for under 11K.

Lots of different pricing depending on your location.

10 hours ago, Trekbike said:

I'm not in the need of a roof, but for everyone that has quoted the price along with the sq footage of the house, has that been for a single story or multi story?    Obviously that makes a big difference in how much roof is actually laid down.  

Mine is single story, walkable pitch, and not especially complex. They stripped it bare, new felt, new plumbing and ridge vents, new ice shield, architectural shingles. Locally recommended roofer had 8 guys and it was done in 1 day. 

I did have a leak a few years later where a nail popped through the ice shield in a valley. Thankfully it came through in the garage so the interior damage was minimal. I called the guy back and he came out promptly and fixed it at a friendly price. 

If you've got stuff stored in your attic, cover it with a drop cloth before they start. Everything will get covered with debris from the work. 

11 hours ago, Trekbike said:

Huge difference!!! my house is single story hip roof house, my buddy built new construction same roofer as I used, his roof is cut up and very steep, dormers everywhere, main structure is 2 story and the front has a open lower floor plan witch makes it 3 story in the front of the house, he paid $45k.

• Wow 2

Mine is a single story but a steep 10/12 or 12/12 pitch.  All the roofers were "beaching" about it.  One thing to really discuss with whoever does it and the clean up afterwards.  I had to purchase one of those magnetic yard sweepers due to me finding so many roofing nails around the entire perimeter of the house.  I picked up close to a 2.5 gal bucket of roofing nails, and sent a text to the roofing company contact I had.  He came by, then sent a crew by to pick up more, and sent me a check for $200 for my troubles/effort.  I did "beach" quite a bit so.....

55 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

Mine is a single story but a steep 10/12 or 12/12 pitch.  All the roofers were "beaching" about it.  One thing to really discuss with whoever does it and the clean up afterwards.  I had to purchase one of those magnetic yard sweepers due to me finding so many roofing nails around the entire perimeter of the house.  I picked up close to a 2.5 gal bucket of roofing nails, and sent a text to the roofing company contact I had.  He came by, then sent a crew by to pick up more, and sent me a check for $200 for my troubles/effort.  I did "beach" quite a bit so.....

My roofer had 2 of these 

https://youtu.be/RuobWQ-Hu8Y

Edited by Johnny Rotten
On 5/11/2020 at 5:38 PM, gregintenn said:

I got a quote today. WOW!:eek:

I'm getting another quote tomorrow.

I may have to take a few days off and put my two "quarantined" sons to work.

Is it worthwhile to remove one layer of shingles, or just as good to put a second layer over them?

Maybe I missed it but what kind of a roof are we talking ?

8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Shingles.

Sorry, I wasnt clear. Pitch, sq footage, how many years old is the last roof, is this the last home you plan on living in,etc. All these are determining factors for me but I'm also a cheap donkey who done the last 2 roofs myself and saved 2/3 of what was quoted 👍😁👍

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

Sorry, I wasnt clear. Pitch, sq footage, how many years old is the last roof, is this the last home you plan on living in,etc. All these are determining factors for me but I'm also a cheap donkey who done the last 2 roofs myself and saved 2/3 of what was quoted 👍😁👍

The house/roof is 17 years old. It is 2000sf, 7/1 pitch, 2 small doghouses and two larger ones. No idea of the SF of the actual roof. We intend to be here until the end.

I also have an 8x12 tool shed that needs roofing as well.

The quote was $9890 for a tear off/reroof. This includes new felt paper, vents, etc. with whatever a GAF "lifetime" roofing system is.

$7605 to roof over what is there.

Guy 2 still hasn't showed up to give an estimate.

Edited by gregintenn
15 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Guy #2 is $2000 cheaper. That’s more like it.

Not that I know anything about roofs, but I've always heard one should be skeptical of the lowest bidder. Especially if you intend to be in that house for several more decades.  Does he come with any verifiable reviews?  

image.thumb.png.160d9b43c61a648fe6c6218cff8f22f7.png

Edited by Erik88
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Not that I know anything about roofs, but I've always heard one should be skeptical of the lowest bidder. Especially if you intend to be in that house for several more decades.  Does he come with any verifiable reviews?  

image.thumb.png.160d9b43c61a648fe6c6218cff8f22f7.png

Yeah. Both of the guys have done work for me in the past and are reputable men. They have both been in the business longer than I’ve been alive.

The high bidder spends a lot on trucks, advertising, and other assorted overhead that lower bidder does not. They were more competitive when his father ran the business.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1