Mostly a rant

JustEd

Am sooo tired of buying a new handgun, mostly small 9's, only to find out that they are sighted to a combat hold.  For me, the poi should be directly on top of the front sight rather than under the white dot on it.  That's the way 1911's on most revolvers are.  The combat hold makes it difficult for me to see what you are shooting if plinking small stuff.

When my Austrian instructor first showed me this sighting method decades ago, I thought he was joking.  He claimed it was a natural sight picture in a defensive encounter.  Now it has become almost standard on micro or sub compact 9's.  AND I DON"T LIKE IT 

Yes there are aftermarket sights, but in my experience they usually are sighted the same as the manufacturers.  Glock makes adjustable or just higher rear sights, but not every dovetail fits Glock sights.  And no, I don't like filing down my front sight to a nub.

On a bright note, my little Ruger LCPII 380 puts shots right on top of the front blade as it should.  Went through a 50 round box of WWB yesterday at ORSA and it reliably plinked steel at 30 feet. Not so much at 60 feet, but that's a combination of me and the short sight radius.

End of Rant

ps:  Combat hold most recently encountered on Sig P320, P365, Hellcat, M&P.  My Taurus G3c uses Glock sights so was able to change out the rear on it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

Coincidence! I was shooting my new to me Ruger LCP II yesterday and had the same results. I hold level with half the target covered and the Ruger was hammering the dead center. Ruger gets it with this little pop gun out of the box.

I love mine for many reasons. That is but one of them

Spoiler, just spent 900+ on a Hellcat, modify cut, mount Holosun and Apex trigger job. Like carrying the LCP II more 🤫

• Haha 1

I also don't like obscuring the target with the sights. Pumpkin on a fence post is how my rifles are sighted.  I typically shoot handguns as center hold as shown above, maybe that's why my usual miss is low? I  always thought I was anticipating recoil. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I didn’t check their site to see if any are available for the guns you mentioned, but Dawson Precision makes front and rear sights and sight sets with lots of options.  A shorter front sight is cheap and would fix your problem.  

https://dawsonprecision.com/gun-sights/

Yep their good, but mostly fiber optic sights. They also don't have different height sights for guns like the p365 and newer models.  Last time I checked anyway. 

1 hour ago, Choatecav said:

JustEd, to make sure I am clearly understanding you, are you wanting the 6 o'clock hold or the Center hold??

Personally, I would want the Center hold.

Center hold. Six o’clock is what we used for bullseye match shooting in the last century (humor intended). 

12 hours ago, Choatecav said:

Thanks.

I completely agree.

So do I, now that JustEd cleared that up. 6 o’clock is fine for round targets if known size at a known distance, but center hold along with properly zeroed sights is for carry/combat. That last choice? “Combat Hold” ?  That’s no good…

No problem at all Swang.  I have red dots on three handguns.  Love 'em but only one is for carry.  

The Hellcat with Holosun plinks steel like crazy.   However, I am not fully enamored about the extra bulk/reliability/speed issues that can come from a dot.  It's a transition to be sure and practice makes better.  However,...whadda ya gonna use but the iron sights if the dot fails.  If iron sights only on a defensive gun, one doesn't worry about them fogging up.

Just my opinion, appreciate your input.

It's a good point and thanks. 

While I have seen some guns which are particularly ammo sensitive, in my experience the shift between 115 and 124 is usually not that much.  In the specific guns cited a simple change in bullet weight was not enough to make an appreciable difference at 15 yards. 

Also have many thousand rounds of 115 and 124 gr factory and reload which shoot fine and not about to buy more.

Thanks though, it is a phenomena some pistols show more than others.

Bit by my own rant.

Have had a couple of Sig 1911's and love them both.  They shoot to the proper point of aim. 

Just got back a slide on my 2017 vintage commander style sig 1911.   Had them replace the front sight as the tritium dot was burnt out.  Specifically told them not to replace it if they didn't have the same height front sight,  Well, they put a taller one on because combat is how they sight them now...according to customer service.

When I pointed out how this differed from my instructions the CS agent said he didn't want to hear about center hold vs combat hold.  He said they way they do it now is the way it is. 

There goes a nice 1911 once used for pinking steel.  😞  Should a just kept the old sight as it is used mostly in daytime.

Wow, So they didn't have the time to side line the gun untill they notified you of a change like that? That really sucks. I would write a letter to the CEO there and explain that. Thats just flat out wrong. They need to butter you up with something nice to straighten this out. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JustEd said:

When I pointed out how this differed from my instructions the CS agent said he didn't want to hear about center hold vs combat hold.  He said they way they do it now is the way it is. 

At that point *I* would've reached through my phone & introduced him to one of my boot camp DI's! 

You NEVER tell a customer "you don't want to hear about" something!!!!!! Ho Lee Schitt!!!!!! Who does he think he is, H&K?????   😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, JustEd said:

Wow.  Sounds like the drive-thru nowadays - “Here’s 8 bucks.  Just give me what you think I need”

• Like 1