With the brace back now what will happen to the brace that was registered with atf

I've read some accounts that the numbers support the possibility that they mostly cannibalized SBR applications from gun owners who were already going to apply anyway. I don't see how they came to that conclusion, but I hope it's true. So, I'm happy for anyone who wanted to SBR their pistol and got it done free. 

For everyone else who got extorted by the ATF against their will, I wish there was some justice. However, I'm of they opinion that they were overly gullible. Most of the 2A folks I know felt they just had to bide their time for this to fail in court. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, BigK said:

I've read some accounts that the numbers support the possibility that they mostly cannibalized SBR applications from gun owners who were already going to apply anyway. I don't see how they came to that conclusion, but I hope it's true. So, I'm happy for anyone who wanted to SBR their pistol and got it done free. 

For everyone else who got extorted by the ATF against their will, I wish there was some justice. However, I'm of they opinion that they were overly gullible. Most of the 2A folks I know felt they just had to bide their time for this to fail in court. 

I was pretty sure the rule would not stand, so I registered four of my lowers and will put regular stocks on two of them and leave the Maxim braces on the other two, but will keep an eye out for rods that can give a longer LOP, though they are not too bad as-is.  I am not out anything except postage and an fingerprint ink pad, these were purchased through an FFL, so they already had my info (as if they didn't anyway) but now I am up $400 from the .gov.  I am not opposed to registering, like I said they already have my info, but am highly opposed to paying a tax to exercise my rights, the only reason I even got a Concealed Carry Permit was for reciprocity.  If the HPA ever passes, I will make one, but will not pay a tax to have one.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

So the no brace ruling is absolutely, completely dead? We can put them back without ever having to take 'em off again? Just wanna make sure. I don't trust ATF or .gov to not try again.  

It’s dead, but it’s not so dead that it cannot return again it just cannot return in its current format. It wasn’t ruled illegal on constitutional grounds, but because it did not follow the law with regards to the manner in which rules must be promulgated by statute. Because the final rule was so much different than the proposed rule they were supposed to start over from the beginning. 

• Thanks 1

The quick answer is around the 3:32 mark where Mr. Kirk explains the ruling violates the Administrative Procedures Act. I don't see how the ATF can come back from this. The court ruled that the ATF doesn't have authority to make this rule according the APA. I think they're dead in the water without Congress passing a new law.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No more braces here. They all became SBR's and have regular stocks on them. Only part I am considering is the approval came back "Tax exempt" and "conditional" on the brace rule. If the brace rule is out, does that mean the conditional approval is as well?

2 hours ago, DO-TN said:

No more braces here. They all became SBR's and have regular stocks on them. Only part I am considering is the approval came back "Tax exempt" and "conditional" on the brace rule. If the brace rule is out, does that mean the conditional approval is as well?

Where did it state that?  Mine were just checked "approved" and signed off.

2 hours ago, DO-TN said:

I believe the form has something to the effect of " null and void if the law is changed". I'll try and find it. Makes me wonder if all the guns will revert back to handguns. 

4 hours ago, Alleycat72 said:

I believe the form has something to the effect of " null and void if the law is changed". I'll try and find it. Makes me wonder if all the guns will revert back to handguns. 

Did you use a regular Form 1?  Mine just has a spot for approved or disproved and a block they can write any conditions, which they left blank.

Screenshot_20231210_133959_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.8c4c16e7b8d0b99237014718cd65c8fb.jpg

Edited by Omega
Grammar