Patient Brings Concealed Gun Into MRI, Gets Shot In the Buttocks

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

How does a magnet ignite a round? Perhaps pulling the firing pin/striker forward?

A magnet is not going to ignite a round but if the gun got pulled out and started bouncing around in the thing there’s no telling what would happen.

How much you wanna bet is was a polymer frame pistol that’s not “metal”?  🙄

Edited by Garufa
46 minutes ago, Garufa said:

A magnet is not going to ignite a round but if the gun got pulled out and started bouncing around in the thing there’s no telling what would happen.

How much you wanna bet is was a polymer frame pistol that’s not “metal”?  🙄

I’ve no idea what happened. It would be nice if once a reporter actually did some investigating.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, gregintenn said:

How does a magnet ignite a round? Perhaps pulling the firing pin/striker forward?

Not directly related to a magnate but I did something very dumb today. Was cleaning out the safe. Going to swap out batteries on safe and optics and I got distracted. I decided to make space and load mags. 

9V battery. Pocket full of the leftover various calibers that I was going to put in a random mason jar. All of a sudden my pocket got very hot….

I absolutely should have known better. Figured this didn’t warrant a post and not exactly on topic but magnate/energy related. Just a  friendly reminder to not be absent minded like me.  

Edit: I also forgot that I did some research before my last MRI. I was doing a lot of overhead welding and caught considerable slag over my right shoulder and neck. Apparently welders and millwright should give the doc a heads up, I was fine but I did mention it.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 3

I don't know if anyone here has spent time in an MRI room with that machine running but I have and it almost killed me but it was my fault. My son had to have an MRI performed and he would not lay still inside that tube so they could do the test and the doctor asked me if I would be willing to go in there and sit with him ad try and keep him calm and lay still and I said I would with out thinking cause it was my son that needed me so I went through the metal questions and went into the room with a plastic stool to sit next the Doug jr. and talk to him and calm him down. They said the test would be 15 minutes as it was ust on his head.

About 2 minutes into the test I realized there was a problem with me being in that room but I was going to get my son that test regardless. After the test the doctor came in and he looked at me and knew there was something wrong and he and a nurse got me out of the room. He asked me if I have any metal inside my body and that was when I remembered the 5 small pieces of shrapnel I had in my head from a Mortar back in 1969. The doctors at the military unit said that they were not equip to remove them but by their locations the wounds should heal quick and they should not bother me and until that day I had forgot I had them. The doctor told me that they could have killed me that day while I sat with me son if they had to do a full body scan. The doctor gave me a necklace with a medical code that reads Warning NO MRI on it and I have warn it since that day. He did do a CT scan to see the locations of the metal to see about removing them and after he saw the results of the scan he said it might be better to leave them alone so I still have them. The doctor said that due to the location of 2 of them is why the military doctor chose to leave them alone. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
10 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Not directly related to a magnate but I did something very dumb today. Was cleaning out the safe. Going to swap out batteries on safe and optics and I got distracted. I decided to make space and load mags. 

9V battery. Pocket full of the leftover various calibers that I was going to put in a random mason jar. All of a sudden my pocket got very hot….

I absolutely should have known better. Figured this didn’t warrant a post and not exactly on topic but magnate/energy related. Just a  friendly reminder to not be absent minded like me.  

Your experience has me wondering how well firearms are going to travel safely in all these electric vehicles the feds are pushing on people?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Your experience has me wondering how well firearms are going to travel safely in all these electric vehicles the feds are pushing on people?

As long as it’s properly grounded it would be fine. Barring some freak accident that would expose a bullet to an electric motor. 

Interesting related tidbit: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/kalashnikov-cv-1-designed-by-rifle-makers-disappeared-without-a-trace-184711.html

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Scotty said:

As long as it’s properly grounded it would be fine. Barring some freak accident that would expose a bullet to an electric motor. 

Interesting related tidbit: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/kalashnikov-cv-1-designed-by-rifle-makers-disappeared-without-a-trace-184711.html

The Russians can make some pretty cool guns, but that obsession with the Lada bodystyle is just uncalled for.

8 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

As long it's not a giant magnet, should be good. until they start doing wireless charging at a grand scale.

Now i'm imagining a world where your car detects you have a firearm before you get into it. Don't put it past them.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I don't know if anyone here has spent time in an MRI room with that machine running but I have and it almost killed me but it was my fault. My son had to have an MRI performed and he would not lay still inside that tube so they could do the test and the doctor asked me if I would be willing to go in there and sit with him ad try and keep him calm and lay still and I said I would with out thinking cause it was my son that needed me so I went through the metal questions and went into the room with a plastic stool to sit next the Doug jr. and talk to him and calm him down. They said the test would be 15 minutes as it was ust on his head.

About 2 minutes into the test I realized there was a problem with me being in that room but I was going to get my son that test regardless. After the test the doctor came in and he looked at me and knew there was something wrong and he and a nurse got me out of the room. He asked me if I have any metal inside my body and that was when I remembered the 5 small pieces of shrapnel I had in my head from a Mortar back in 1969. The doctors at the military unit said that they were not equip to remove them but by their locations the wounds should heal quick and they should not bother me and until that day I had forgot I had them. The doctor told me that they could have killed me that day while I sat with me son if they had to do a full body scan. The doctor gave me a necklace with a medical code that reads Warning NO MRI on it and I have warn it since that day. He did do a CT scan to see the locations of the metal to see about removing them and after he saw the results of the scan he said it might be better to leave them alone so I still have them. The doctor said that due to the location of 2 of them is why the military doctor chose to leave them alone. 

I have to do that from time to time with my Daughter. The first time I was a bit nervous because I could have had some bullet fragments still in me from a 7.62x39. I've had several x-rays to check and there's nothing there, but you getting to thinking. 

I'm curious as anyone about how the round actually fired, but it's not hard for me to comprehend given the weapon was on the patient in the machine.  These machines are given safety zones in hospitals and imaging centers for a reason.  An MRI machine generates a magnetic pull that people without experience really don't comprehend.

"The main magnetic field of a 1.5 T magnet is about 30,000 times the strength of the earth's magnetic field. The main magnetic field of a 3T system is 60,000 times the earth's magnet field."

https://www.koppdevelopment.com/articels/MRI Safety at 3T VS 1-5T.pdf

A potentiality of how this gun may have fired, just speculation on my part...a WAG,

If the patient had the handgun in her pocket along with any other items and not in a holster that covered the trigger it's possible that movement engaged the trigger. Like I said, it's a WAG.

I had an MRI of my ankle just yesterday. I was able to remain fully dresses in my Carhartt Jeans,

I discussed the fact that I am normally armed with the gentleman managing my MRI. I completely emptied on pockets, patted myself down twice, locked everything up and uneventfully proceeded.

My circumstance is not unusual.

I have sent countless patients to MRI during my years (decades) working ICU/ER. There is a 2 page questionnaire I would verbally go through with a patient and have them sign in my presence and I would sign stating I covered/addressed all of the questions (shrapnel and metal fragments are just a couple of the many questions asked.)

This Q&A should be repeated my the person administering the MRI. And they too sign the questionnaire. Safety is a thing.

A lot of people suffer with claustrophobia, many requiring premedication. That's a normal part of the planning and treatment. Just make sure you speak with your ordering medical professional about it.

Metal hazard in the MRI room is a real thing. When I had to take an unstable patient to MRI I would #1. Talk to the tech. #2 Remove my keys, knives, stethoscope, and scissors and stats and place them in the booth with the Tech. Again, normal procedure.

Many years ago, working the 7p-7a shift in New Orleans (St. Bernard Parish), we had an environmental services employee decide, on a whim, to mop the MRI room.  

No one was injured. The damage the metal pail and mop caused to the MRI was in the 10's of thousands of dollars and left us without MRI capabilities for several days.

So, back to my WAG. It's possible movement and something tripping the trigger caused the firing, it's possible something else entirely caused it. It'd be helpful to know the type of firearm in our guessing game.

So, in the future, hopefully folks with answer the questions fully and pay heed to the great big signs posted everywhere warning you when approaching an MRI. 🙂