UPS Lost Ammo

UPS lost ammo I ordered from SG Ammo. I have been ordering ammo from S G for years with no problems. I made an order and got a tracking number from UPS and received a message they were to deliver my ammo order on the 17 of Jan. Well, the big snow happened. Next message from UPS tracking was delivery delayed due of weather. Waited for a week and the ammo never showed. Contacted SG and told them I had not received the ammo order. Got a message from SG stating it would take 7-10 days for UPS to search/locate the order. Responded back to S G day before yesterday still no ammo.  Got message yesterday, total refund on my ammo order. 

S G told me the next time they would require me to purchase the shipping Insurance, or they would not be able to give a full refund should I not receive an ammo order in the future.

What is you guys' thoughts on the message from SG about the insurance. Kinda ticked me off. I didn't lose the ammo package and it was never delivered. 

Most of the big shipping companies cover loss up to $100 with no extra charge.  Additional coverage incurs a fee.  I don't know how much your ammo was, but SG probably ate the cost of it minus $100.  You may be fortunate that they refunded your money at all.  They could have refunded you only $100, since you didn't purchase additional insurance.  Some smaller companies will tell you it's between you and the shipping company.  Ebay sellers are bad about this.  I'm not saying this is right, but it happens every day.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

@deerslayerhas the right of it. Things happen in shipment and that’s what the insurance is for. SG ate whatever they weren’t able to recoup from UPS. Additionally, anything firearms related has a higher than average risk of not making it to its final destination. 

Many of us are used to dealing with big companies who have shipping shrink factored into pricing. Smaller outfits usually can’t afford to repeatedly eat those kinds of losses. SG did you a solid in the name of good customer service, but they weren’t obligated to in my eyes since the insurance was an available option. 

Whenever I’ve shipped or had shipped high dollar items, I always spring for the full insurance amount. (You should see what it is on a $10k NVG package!) 

In the future, I’d highly recommend springing for the insurance. It’s cheap piece of mind. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

@deerslayerhas the right of it. Things happen in shipment and that’s what the insurance is for. SG ate whatever they weren’t able to recoup from UPS. Additionally, anything firearms related has a higher than average risk of not making it to its final destination. 

Many of us are used to dealing with big companies who have shipping shrink factored into pricing. Smaller outfits usually can’t afford to repeatedly eat those kinds of losses. SG did you a solid in the name of good customer service, but they weren’t obligated to in my eyes since the insurance was an available option. 

Whenever I’ve shipped or had shipped high dollar items, I always spring for the full insurance amount. (You should see what it is on a $10k NVG package!) 

In the future, I’d highly recommend springing for the insurance. It’s cheap piece of mind. 

I've spent over $100 on overnight shipping for things that are sensitive. 

• Like 1

Glad to find this out. I will purchase the insurance next time. The cost was 248.00. I ordered 6 boxes of 25, Hornady 357 Mag self-defense ammo. Just not cheap any longer, is it?  All I need to have a full stash on hand. My EDC is 357 Mag Cor Bon DPX. 

Edited to add; Going to reorder after I get back. Will thank Sam for refunding my total package. Traveling before shoulder surgery 26 Feb. 

Edited by pop pop

IMHO Sam Gabbert (SG Ammo) runs a great business and demonstrated a much higher level of customer service than most general companies do these days.

I use SG Ammo, Target Sports, BFGC, American Reloading, And Hoosier Bullets for most of my ammo and handloading purchases. I always purchase insurance when the option is offered. It's only a few more bucks relative to the cost of the purchase and buys me peace of mind.

This "Extreme Weather Event" has delayed a couple of UPS/USPS & FedEx delivers recently for up to 2-3 weeks. I know it was a mess for everyone. We didn't have the US Mail run at all for a week and the first truck I saw had snow chains.

USPS? They are a gamble at best anytime. If given the option I will always choose UPS or FedEx.

Glad to read SG Ammo took care of you @pop pop

Enjoy your trip and best wishes on your pending surgery.

UPS had a serious backlog during the recent snow-event.  The UPS driver who delivers out here told me that they had trailers-full of stuff (about a week ago). I would think it's still possible, if unlikely, that your ammo will show up.

• Like 1

Darrell if it does, I will pay the money back to Sam. I too have dealt with SG for a long time and had good results. 

Gregintn, yes, that is high for 357 Self Defense ammo, but it is hard to find, for sure good S D ammo. Cor Bon DPX is 2.00 per round for S D ammo. Like everyone, wish I had purchased more back then! Keep my ammo in Military ammo cans and in my closets, in the house. it will not spoil. 

If ammo becomes extinct, I will have enough S D to last me, hopefully. Practice ammo is another situation indeed. 

• Like 2