Totin' Teachers Bill Heads for a Vote

18 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Why do teachers who don't want to carry have such a problem with that?

Because they are anti 2nd.

• Like 2

Even if this bill passes the House, and Senate IMO the Govenor will NOT sign it. Deerslayer, the reason other teachers don't want guns in the school is simply FEAR of guns. IF an SRO can be trained to carry a gun to protect children in schools, a teacher can be trained just as well. Now that is a "common sense" gun law. This will be all over soon. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pop pop said:

Even if this bill passes the House, and Senate IMO the Govenor will NOT sign it. Deerslayer, the reason other teachers don't want guns in the school is simply FEAR of guns. IF an SRO can be trained to carry a gun to protect children in schools, a teacher can be trained just as well. Now that is a "common sense" gun law. This will be all over soon. 

Have you seen cops shoot?  If a teacher is genuinely interested in shooting, they can become far more proficient than most SROs.  

• Like 5

I did it say they were against it. My point was  the teachers I know don’t want to carry and want to co cern themselves with teaching. They don’t want to be thinking about being armed. Some may be for it, some may be opposed to it. Just because a teacher is opposed to the bill doesn’t make them anti-2A. It just means they don’t feel that arming teachers is the solution. I know that there are teachers that want to carry. 

Most, if not all, of us carry on a regular basis. We do it because it is our right. We do it to be able to defend ourselves or our loved ones. But we don’t necessarily walk out of the house every day thinking “will today be the day I have to defend the children in my care” and “please Lord, let my aim be true and let my will be strong”.  That’s a big difference, and something an armed teacher will likely do.  It’s one more thing a teacher has to think/worry about that is not education of their children. LEOs likely leave the house with that thought. Former LEOs might as well.  

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Most, if not all, of us carry on a regular basis. We do it because it is our right. We do it to be able to defend ourselves or our loved ones. But we don’t necessarily walk out of the house every day thinking “will today be the day I have to defend the children in my care” and “please Lord, let my aim be true and let my will be strong”.  That’s a big difference, and something an armed teacher will likely do.  It’s one more thing a teacher has to think/worry about that is not education of their children. LEOs likely leave the house with that thought. Former LEOs might as well.  

I hope those of us who carry leave the house with similar thoughts in mind instead of complacency. I know I do and I pray any teacher willing to carry a handgun to defend themselves and the children in their care will do the same. If that added burden is the straw that breaks the camel's back for someone to think/worry about, I thank God they aren't carrying a loaded firearm.

10 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Just because a teacher is opposed to the bill doesn’t make them anti-2A. It just means they don’t feel that arming teachers is the solution. 

It’s not “arming teachers.”  It’s ALLOWING teachers to arm themselves if they choose.  If they don’t like it, then don’t participate, but why not let others who are willing?  

I don’t think anybody believes it is THE solution, but a fire may not do as much damage if someone with a hose is there when it starts.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

TN is not inventing anything new here.  Private schools have had the option to permit carry for several years.  State universities have allowed it as well for all employees.  33 states allow teachers to carry.  I understand all the concern, and teacher carry is not the only answer.  Hardened facilities will help.  But I would rather have a teacher that is willing to carry and of course that participates in routine training in place than not.  It is well documented that response time is proportional to body count.  We are our own 1st responder, not surprisingly, no blood in the hallways in the above examples.  Just like the concern over the guns in trunk bill, or guns in bar bills.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally, I like this. Since the state would not hire SROs for every school...this is the viable alternative. BTW, I still feel that an SRO should be in schools. And would like to further the idea of hiring vets for the positions. JMO

• Like 3

One gun in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot & isn't afraid to approach the shooter can save lives.

I believe these shooters are cowards & someone returning fire will stop their advance & probably turn tail & run.

JMHO.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AuEagle said:

One gun in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot & isn't afraid to approach the shooter can save lives.

I believe these shooters are cowards & someone returning fire will stop their advance & probably turn tail & run.

JMHO.

I think that's the reason so many of them ( Active Shooters...oh how I hate this term) seem to take their own lives before being caught. Perhaps if one were taken alive and fully procecuted, it might deter this sort of thing happening. But probably not. The type of person who does this is usually angry about something. And thinking that drawing attention to themselves and their beliefs will cure all the world's problems and we'll all go raise beautiful, sweet smelling flowers.

To this I say...Bah Humbug!! Live in the world. If you don't like your world, then work to help it.

Not destroy it and kill innocents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, hipower said:

To this I say...Bah Humbug!! Live in the world. If you don't like your world, then work to help it.

Not destroy it and kill innocents.

Amen Brother highpower...

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the local school district have final say if they'll allow their teachers to carry? If so, I doubt it'll happen in any large Democrat controlled city in the state. It'll only happen in smaller school districts who may not have SROs. But one of the main points was that less populated areas may only have a couple of Deputies on duty at any given time. 

As I see it, just passing this will act as a deterrent. Nut jobs thinking about shooting up a school will now not know who may be armed and ready to stop them. It could make them rethink their plan. 

• Like 1

This could benefit private schools, whom some people argued should not get SROs because they are not publicly funded (not sure why that would matter).  The same people would also argue that the private school can't arm itself.  

I believe I read, somewhere, that the Covenant shooter, wrote in her journal, she passed on other locations because she thought they had too much security. That should tell us something.

If this becomes the law of our land, there will be a big expense getting the required mandates of this law. Time consuming and training is not cheap. 

Thearmededucator, kudos to you. Train yourself well should this come to be the law. Will not be easy. I viewed some of the Ohio required training, in their shoot house, and it is not easy. One really needs a good mindset and be able to make good decisions rapidly. Ohio had several volunteers, and "few" made the whole way and graduated, however that is what the training is for. I have no doubt good people can be trained to do this job. The deterrent effect will be over the top. Even the theater shooter drove past several theaters because they had security and picked his easiest target. If done right it will be successful, IMO.

One of my daughters teachers was armed, with the principals and SRO Officer corporation, the whole 8 years my daughters were in our local elementary school. Then the Sate put schools in a gun free statis and Johnie and the principal retired.  We enjoyed a new school building which was constructed with 2 main hallways and built in a U shape. The SRO was always in the entrance, office, and cafeteria wing, and Johnie was in the other education wing at all times. They had radio contact. That was an excellent setup.

Johnie was a Marine during the Vietnam War and had a good head on him. Our Principal was a non- combat veteran also. They both came back from the war and used the G I bill to become educators. Johnie was also the assistant principal. I never worried about my girls at that school. Rutherford County has had SROs in them for years now. We are one of the lucky counties because of the foresight of a Sherrif who set the program in place and funded it many years ago after Columbine. I have confidence this law can be a big benefit if done right. 

Edited to add content. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2
On 4/8/2024 at 7:26 PM, chances R said:

and trained by county sherriff.

I'd prefer that they have some good firearms training rather than bottom of the barrel safety classes. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

This could benefit private schools, whom some people argued should not get SROs because they are not publicly funded (not sure why that would matter).  The same people would also argue that the private school can't arm itself.  

Private schools had already been able to have any firearm policy they wish (The only thing TN likes better than guns is Private Property Rights), provided that armed individuals had a TN ECP.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, pop pop said:

I believe I read, somewhere, that the Covenant shooter, wrote in her journal, she passed on other locations because she thought they had too much security. That should tell us something.

If this becomes the law of our land, there will be a big expense getting the required mandates of this law. Time consuming and training is not cheap. 

Thearmededucator, kudos to you. Train yourself well should this come to be the law. Will not be easy. I viewed some of the Ohio required training, in their shoot house, and it is not easy. One really needs a good mindset and be able to make good decisions rapidly. Ohio had several volunteers, and "few" made the whole way and graduated, however that is what the training is for. I have no doubt good people can be trained to do this job. The deterrent effect will be over the top. Even the theater shooter drove past several theaters because they had security and picked his easiest target. If done right it will be successful, IMO.

One of my daughters teachers was armed, with the principals and SRO Officer corporation, the whole 8 years my daughters were in our local elementary school. Then the Sate put schools in a gun free statis and Johnie and the principal retired.  We enjoyed a new school building which was constructed with 2 main hallways and built in a U shape. The SRO was always in the entrance, office, and cafeteria wing, and Johnie was in the other education wing at all times. They had radio contact. That was an excellent setup.

Johnie was a Marine during the Vietnam War and had a good head on him. Our Principal was a non- combat veteran also. They both came back from the war and used the G I bill to become educators. Johnie was also the assistant principal. I never worried about my girls at that school. Rutherford County has had SROs in them for years now. We are one of the lucky counties because of the foresight of a Sherrif who set the program in place and funded it many years ago after Columbine. I have confidence this law can be a big benefit if done right. 

Edited to add content. 

Thank you. I have been a firearms instructor for longer than Ive been teaching, and have taken multiple classes from the likes of Gabe White, Karl Rehn, James Yeager, Ed Monk, and several others; in addition to competition shooting. I also play OPFOR for a company in Arkansas against SWAT teams and high speed military units. It is my goal to actually be the instructor of such training.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Thearmededucator said:

Thank you. I have been a firearms instructor for longer than Ive been teaching, and have taken multiple classes from the likes of Gabe White, Karl Rehn, James Yeager, Ed Monk, and several others; in addition to competition shooting. I also play OPFOR for a company in Arkansas against SWAT teams and high speed military units. It is my goal to actually be the instructor of such training.

T1G?

1 hour ago, Thearmededucator said:

Private schools had already been able to have any firearm policy they wish (The only thing TN likes better than guns is Private Property Rights), provided that armed individuals had a TN ECP.

Gotcha, I didn’t know that.  Further proof that all the bedwetting about blood in the streets is nonsense.  

• Like 1