Reliable Effective 9mm Carry Ammo?

Most any good defensive load will get the job done. But every gun is different. I suggest you buy several different boxes of quality defense ammo and go to the range. Whatever is most reliable and shoots the best in your gun is what you go with. 😉

• Like 3

Agreed on the comments will be varied. I have a "Fantastic Plastic" Ruger Max 9 and I favor heavier along with + P. My Max 9 is stocked with Hornady 147 Gr + P ammo. I also like Hornady Critical Defense which is 115 Gr, and the Critical Duty which is a + P with a 135 Gr bullet and built to Police Specs. Suppose to be superior for metal/glass car body penetration. Several of the premium Self Defense brand loadings will be sufficient in these micro guns.  Purchase you a few and see which you, and your Pistol likes. 

• Like 1

The best carry ammo is probably whatever known brand hollow point functions 100% in your carry gun and is fairly accurate that you can find and afford.  You can obsess over ballistics and gel tests, but the fact is that most handguns suck for stopping bad guys.  Their great virtue is that they are very portable and you can have it with you almost everywhere you go.  

Having said all that, I carry Hornady Critical Defense 115 or Federal HST 124.  They are fairly common and I don't want to have to find and test a new round because my ammo is exotic, hard to find, or always out of stock. 

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 4

another vote for the Federal HST.  Have also used Gold Dots with good results.  Like others have said spend the money and get a few boxes of each and run them through and see which works out and routinely run a mag or two through the gun just to be sure.  

• Like 1

Exactly right on handgun calibers being a compromise for defense. But it's what we have because it's difficult to carry a full size rifle or shotgun in a holster. So we do our best. Hard to go wrong with the brands mentioned. My boys and I run Critical Duty 135+P, Federal HST 124+P and Gold Dot 124+P. There's other good choices too. I don't know if there really is a "best" one. 

23 minutes ago, res308 said:

Exactly right on handgun calibers being a compromise for defense. But it's what we have because it's difficult to carry a full size rifle or shotgun in a holster. So we do our best. Hard to go wrong with the brands mentioned. My boys and I run Critical Duty 135+P, Federal HST 124+P and Gold Dot 124+P. There's other good choices too. I don't know if there really is a "best" one. 

I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my 365 macro.  I have some Critical Duty, with a plan to carry it in a separate magazine for specific situations, but never got around to doing it.  For environments where I figure I’m most likely to have to shoot, I’m a little concerned about over-penetration or missed shots going through thin walls with the Critical Duty rounds.  Not suggesting others should have the same concerns, this is just me.

On 4/23/2024 at 10:03 AM, Smith said:

My favorite is Federal HST, but I've used Gold Dots, Norma MHP, Critical Defense, Sig Elite Defense.

Any of the modern stuff works extremely well. A lot of the expansion and jacket separation issues have been technologically overcome.

But for your research enjoyment:

https://stevespages.com/page8f9mmluger.html

yai8imlzpef71.thumb.jpg.e1b9ae984655b01b2e967e0a96690f75.jpg

I also carry 9mm based on if I'm traveling somewhere I know I don't feel safe or somewhere I haven't been before. This is very helpful for self defence. Thank you!