Cheap Zombie/Yeti Killer?

TNTitan

I'm looking to getting a fun, low-cost, versatile rifle. I've got no preconceived notions/preferences... so I'm open to any and all options. Ideally, I want something I can hunt with, plink with, and feel good about for defense purposes as well. Something that can take a beating, is easy to maintain, and in an a caliber that is abundant, inexpensive, and effective.

Asking alot aint I?

What do y'all think? Anything out there fit this bill? :koolaid:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be lumping zombies and yetis together.

A yeti is your friend; they are actually gentle and wise creatures.

A .22 semi auto rifle is perhaps the best overall zombie killer. Direct pan shot is sufficient, and you can carry beau coup ammo. It's also the supreme plinker and the lowest cost per round there is.

But you will need more for larger game and non-zombie humanoids that move quicker and shoot back.

- OS

Mosin Nagant fits the bill very well, but a bolt action might be a bit slow in a zombie apocalypse. I think the next option is an AK or SKS, but both have increased in price quite a bit, along with 7.62x39.

yea.. i think semi auto is a must for this gun...

Bolt gun old: Mosin Nagant ($75-150) Bolt gun new: Mossberg ATR 30-06 ($250ish)

Semi-auto old: SKS ($250-350) Semi new(er): Remington 742 ($300ish)

Lever: Marlin 336 30-30 ($250-350)

For what you're describing, I think an AK fits the bill perfectly.

I wouldn't discredit a lever action rifle either.

While an SKS would save you some scratch, I'd pull together a few extra hundred (probably about $200) and get yourself an AK.

Great rifles. As reliable as an AK, same cartridge. Generally, you can get one for a bit less than an AK. Except for a few versions that accept AK magazines, they came with fixed 10 round magazines.

I've got a Chinese SKS, and I really like it. There are lots of aftermarket options for it, from stocks to removable magazines.

an AK is probably the best bet, but either that or a marlin lever action in a pistol cal. 357 or 44mag but 44mag isnt cheap to shoot. 357 can drop a deer or a man just fine. put .38s in it to plink with.

semi auto, it goes to the AK. lever action goes to the marlin.

isnt the SKS just a stripper clip fed ak?

I'm looking to getting a fun, low-cost, versatile rifle. I've got no preconceived notions/preferences... so I'm open to any and all options. Ideally, I want something I can hunt with, plink with, and feel good about for defense purposes as well. Something that can take a beating, is easy to maintain, and in an a caliber that is abundant, inexpensive, and effective.

Asking alot aint I?

What do y'all think? Anything out there fit this bill? :P

I would go with an AK. Saigas are still cheap and easy to convert to standard AK configuration if one so chooses. If you want even cheaper ammo than 7.62x39 for cheaper plinking you could try to find an ak chambered in 5.45x39 as ammo can easily be found still for around $160-170 per 1,080 rounds and now that Hornady is offering a 52gr V-max TAP load for the 5.45, it can legally fill the hunting role too. Probably not the best choice for deer but it will work if you do your part.

Don't be lumping zombies and yetis together.

A yeti is your friend; they are actually gentle and wise creatures.

A .22 semi auto rifle is perhaps the best overall zombie killer. Direct pan shot is sufficient, and you can carry beau coup ammo. It's also the supreme plinker and the lowest cost per round there is.

But you will need more for larger game and non-zombie humanoids that move quicker and shoot back.

- OS

As a huge .22 fan, I agree. Go pickup a smith & wesson M&P15-22.

I would review the M-1 Carbine, as well as the SKS and AK platforms for cheaper(er) than an AR consideration.

I'm seeing alot of votes for the SKS and AK platforms. I am relatively unfamiliar with these guns, but google tells me they are pretty versatile, and fit my needs well (semi auto, high capacity, strong/plentiful caliber, not crazy $$, etc... )

Are these guns usually available in gun stores or do I need to scour classified ads or use gunbroker or some web service to find one?