Pulled my weapon for the first time.Opinions?

I'll reply to this in sections...

What part of what I said wasn't true? I never said he didn't have the right to draw his weapon; you're trying to put words in my mouth. But, seriously, a handgun against a speeding mass of metal? Give me a break.

You said he "had no business unholstering your weapon" He actually had plenty of reasons to unholster it. Shooting at a moving vehicle is hard, but it depends on how fast it's going and in what direction and I don't think it was his intent to do a barrel roll and empty a mag into the radiator.

I think bringing the weapon to a low ready in case these guys jumped out and attacked them or even continually tried to strike him with the vehicle would be a good initial reaction. You see police do it near suspect's vehicles that are attempting to flee all the time.

And, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks, I don't think I'm the only one who does anything right. I just know what I would and wouldn't do, because I have thought about it beforehand and decided what my response will be. I realize that might be threatening to those who haven't.

Well I'm glad you can see every possible event and plan for it, most of us just train for what we will most likely encounter and hope we perform admirably when the time comes. It's not threatening to me in the least because I've trained steadily for several years now between military, private security, and civilian work and life. I've thought about what I'd do and even had to act on that training and those thoughts, luckily I've never had to actually fire at anyone.

The initial point of my post was that maybe, instead of sounding like a grumpy old know-it-all and berating the OP who asked for opinions, you might give a sound reasonable answer as to why you feel he acted poorly and back that response up with some real life knowledge. Just my opinion on it.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you never pointed the weapon at anyone, then under the circumstances, I see no foul (especially on your own property)... could you have merely placed your hand on the grip and kept it holstered? sure, but as I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong someone) you were not brandishing it or committing assault, so I'd say that cop should've had his mind on finding that truck that had just busted through your yard almost hitting you guys and got on with it, and since no law had been broken other than in the actions of whomever was behind the wheel of that truck, he could've and should've kept his opinions to himself, his job is to be enforcing the law not interpreting it IMO, if you'd broken the law his comments would've been warranted.

He asked for opinions, I gave him mine. Besides, what part of what I said wasn't true? I never said he didn't have the right to draw his weapon; you're trying to put words in my mouth. But, seriously, a handgun against a speeding mass of metal? Give me a break.

And, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks, I don't think I'm the only one who does anything right. I just know what I would and wouldn't do in certain situations, because I have thought about it beforehand and decided what my response will be. I realize that might be threatening to those who haven't.

Wow, some folks need to toughen up a little.

Ok so while someone needs to lighten up a bit, he does raise a vaild issue. I would have drawn because I wouldn't have known if they were going to get out. But I can't say I would shoot at a moving car that was trying to run me over. Even if you hit the driver, the car won't stop moving. I'd be more concerned about getting my rear out the way!

Things like this happen in seconds. I'll unhoster my weapon as soon as there is any possibility that I may need it, because it shortens response time. That doesn't mean I'll point it until things escalate. I'm just not going to lose the battle with time because I'm snagged on a cover garment.

I have no problem with how you reacted. I dont know what I would do in that situation, because I have never been there. But I hope I would draw my weapon and keep it in a low ready position until I can evaluate the situation more. Once someone gets the jump on you, it is VERY hard to bring the odds back in your favor.

Guest broncobuddha

I think the OP acted appropriately. Drawing and having it at the ready in case they turned back around for another pass or jumped out with intent to harm/kill.

As far as notifying the officer about his drawing, I'm going to go ahead and say it was probably the right thing to do. Why? Say they actually catch the guys, question, them, they say they saw a gun and that's why they did what they did. Then the cops go back to the OP asking if he had a weapon, did he draw, etc?? Better they have that info up front.

The OP didn't break the law but unfortunately, he got a cop with the wrong attitude.

You did fine. Closing speed of a bad guy intent on doing harm to you is extremely fast and will surprise you, even if they are a limping homeless man running up to you to ask for money in a parking lot at night, closing speed of a potential bad guy in a speeding truck is quite possibly much much much faster. Either case, I would be ready. End result is a homeless guy who quite possibly pissed/crapped himself (I didn't draw, but my hand was on the gun as I yelled for him to F'n stop, and he knew I was reaching back for something), and two guys in a truck going on down the road.

In my opinion yours, mine,or whoevers weapon should never be pulled unless proceeded by death.This is just my opinion. Luckily I have never been put into a situation that there had to be a weapon drawn.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course... but it's worth considering in this case, at least, that there was an immediate possibility that the occupants meant them such harm; and from the way I read it, that fear certainly existed.

And limiting yourself to only responding when impending death is certain really limits you from protecting yourself or your family from 'just' rape, 'just' robbery, 'just' having your house broken in to, or 'just' being assulted with a vehicle... unless you are willing to accept the fact that any of these or other violent, invasive confrontations with unpredictable people would be worth actively stopping forcefully because they may lead to very permanent harm (even if not death).

You're welcome to your opinion, of course... but it's worth considering in this case, at least, that there was an immediate possibility that the occupants meant them such harm; and from the way I read it, that fear certainly existed.

And limiting yourself to only responding when impending death is certain really limits you from protecting yourself or your family from 'just' rape, 'just' robbery, 'just' having your house broken in to, or 'just' being assulted with a vehicle... unless you are willing to accept the fact that any of these or other violent, invasive confrontations with unpredictable people would be worth actively stopping forcefully because they may lead to very permanent harm (even if not death).

I agree to disagree. But its all good:D. Nobody on this forum really knows what they are going until they are put in an life theating situation. Im not saying the guy was wrong, its just what some feel theated by others may not.

Police are pretty much useless. I think you handled yourself fine untill you called the police. Did that help you in any way?

Wow, one of the most useless posts ever.:cool:

I think the OP acted appropriately. Drawing and having it at the ready in case they turned back around for another pass or jumped out with intent to harm/kill.

As far as notifying the officer about his drawing, I'm going to go ahead and say it was probably the right thing to do. Why? Say they actually catch the guys, question, them, they say they saw a gun and that's why they did what they did. Then the cops go back to the OP asking if he had a weapon, did he draw, etc?? Better they have that info up front.

The OP didn't break the law but unfortunately, he got a cop with the wrong attitude.

I agree OP did everything right even calling the police... in my short time on earth here( 26 years). i've learned there are 3 people to always be honest with. Parents, Cops and IRS...

Jack, I think you did the right thing and I don't see a problem with any of your actions. Just my opinion though, every situation is different. I think calling the cops was a good thing also what if it was two guys out driving drunk that ran off into a yard with kids playing we might be hearing about this on the news. just speculating I think the cops needed to know about it.

Based on what you described you weren’t justified in the use of deadly force and even if you were its doubtful that you had the time. Open fire on a truck in a residential area?... I don’t think so.

No one will really care if you drew the weapon; it makes no difference (unless you take it to the level of aggravated assault). If the threat is real you need to have a gun in your hand; not in your holster. But it’s important that you know when to fire.

My concern was my girlfriend.We have been together 5 years and its safe to say that im am not going to let anything happen to her. If it were just me I would have acted much differently, but I had less than a second to make a choice about her saftey. They may not have kept driving,they may have jumped out of the car with guns. I wasnt going to take a chance in OUR yard about HER saftey.

I see these kinds of statements all the time like they are some kind of justification for what you are doing. I wish some could see some of the shooting cases I have responded to. If you are in a bad shoot you may not have to worry about your girlfriend; Jody will probably be taking care of her by the time you get out. Same thing with protecting families; you have seriously let your family down if you have to go spend time in jail because you didn’t know, or didn’t understand the deadly force laws of your state.

Think about this….. People that have days to think about what you do in seconds will decide if you acted properly and some of them desperately want to believe that there were alternatives to taking a life.

I would have drawn my weapon. And if someone was trying to run me down I would have no qualms about killing them if I thought I could safely get a shot off. But that does not sound like what was happening at your house.

And as a former Police Officer I will tell you this…. ALWAYS call the cops. The first caller is the complainant; the person that didn’t call is the suspect. :popcorn:

Edited by DaveTN
Guest 10mm4me

It doesn't matter, It was your property, you can pull your weapon whenever you feel like it. Personally, I would have rushed everyone inside the house, retrieved an 11 shot 870 w/slug,buck,slug,buck....and if that dude kept coming towards me lit him up like a Christmas tree.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I agree OP did everything right even calling the police... in my short time on earth here( 26 years). i've learned there are 3 people to always be honest with. Parents, Cops and IRS...

Justbo....You have learned quite a lot in your young life.....+100

Jack IMO did everything right in this situation. Drawn and ready is much different than pointed and or fired. Honesty is always the best policy even if you did get an uninformed officer.... +100 for Jack also.

He did just as I would have done.....with the colorful language added of course....:bowrofl:

Just another opinion from another opinionated ole man.....And I am Always right.....just ask my wife........

Naw....I retract that part of my post....she told me to....:popcorn:

Police are pretty much useless. I think you handled yourself fine untill you called the police. Did that help you in any way?

Some guy drives through the middle of your yard, at 10pm at night.... Messes your yard up and nearly hits your spouse... and you suggest not calling the police?

Remember the first rule of police work, the one who calls first is generally treated as the victim.

Call the police in this incident was the right thing to do.

It doesn't matter, It was your property, you can pull your weapon whenever you feel like it. Personally, I would have rushed everyone inside the house, retrieved an 11 shot 870 w/slug,buck,slug,buck....and if that dude kept coming towards me lit him up like a Christmas tree.

That kind of advice is not good advice. A person can get in deep legal issues following that advice.

First off - your first reaction should have been to get you and your girlfriend out of the way. Standing there drawing a weapon to fire at a moving vehicle is not the smartest thing in the book in my opinion.

Once you were safely out of the way - by all means - draw the weapon and wait to see what they do next.

Car stops and they get out - weapon stays ready until their intentions are known. They keep going - weapon goes back to holster and the police are called.

Second - it is always easy to armchair quarterback several days after the fact when we are not in the situation.

Rule of thumb for me is this - everyone who should have walked away without a scratch. The police were notified so one of your neighbors couldn't scream crazy man with a gun and you even have a report should you need it for insurance if enough damage was done.