Working for a company banning weapons on property.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's not much you can do.

Either leave it at home, or violate company policy, keep your mouth shut and be ready to take the consequences if ever found out.

Here's my take on it.

IMHO, an under-seat gun safe with a numeric keypad would be my choice to leave locked... and were they to search the vehicle, I would simply say that the previous vehicle owner had that installed and you don't know the combination nor do you know how to get into it.

Here's my take on it.

IMHO, an under-seat gun safe with a numeric keypad would be my choice to leave locked... and were they to search the vehicle, I would simply say that the previous vehicle owner had that installed and you don't know the combination nor do you know how to get into it.

That's a great idea. Most likely it's just an insurance thing, and they got the rate reduction when they made the policy. Personally, I wouldn't order the search of an employee's vehicle unless I was prepared to lose them. Talk about a morale destroyer.

Just my 2 cents worth... even in this economy my life is more important than a job... YMMV.

I'd for sure leave one in my vehicle and not tell anybody about it... Depending on the safety situation inside the business I'd consider carrying (deep concealment of course)... As long as neither location was legally posted.

The question you have to ask yourself is what is more important to you.

I will not carry on the job. That's not even considered an option (although I'll still have my multi-tool and pocket knife). I don't consider either a weapon. I don't have the proper training to consider a knife a weapon, it's merely a tool.

In a safe in the car is what makes the most sense to me. Placing it there a few blocks before getting there. I really want to ask HR what the "practiced policy" is but know that raises a flag if they ever did search cars.

Either leave it at home, or violate company policy, keep your mouth shut and be ready to take the consequences if ever found out.

Totally agree!

Guest mustangdave

+2...and it sucks

you should be able to find out fairly discreetly if the company ever has done vehicle searches before.

If they don't, then stick it in the glove box and never tell a soul about having any interest in firearms. And do not drive others from work in your car.

You ought to be good to go then.

Well depending on where you work and how big of a mouth you have you probably won't ever run into it. Where I work we have conducted vehicle searches before both on employees and visitors, granted for the second we involve MPD, but it's rare.

I worked for FedEX for years and never saw them search a vehicle on the lot.

Guest jackdm3
I will not carry on the job. That's not even considered an option (although I'll still have my multi-tool and pocket knife). I don't consider either a weapon. I don't have the proper training to consider a knife a weapon, it's merely a tool.

In a safe in the car is what makes the most sense to me. Placing it there a few blocks before getting there. I really want to ask HR what the "practiced policy" is but know that raises a flag if they ever did search cars.

If you place either of your blades at someone's neck and sweep it firmly across someone's neck 1/2" deep from ear to ear, I'd say you have a weapon. No training necessary.

Stay the Hell away from me!

That's a great idea. Most likely it's just an insurance thing, and they got the rate reduction when they made the policy. Personally, I wouldn't order the search of an employee's vehicle unless I was prepared to lose them. Talk about a morale destroyer.

I agree - I consider a search of my employees' vehicles a "game ending play".

I've got a friend that works in the HR dept of a company that bans guns on their property. One of the employees had his car broken into and he reported to the Police that 2 guns were taken. He not only lost his 2 guns but was fired also.

That Sucks!!!

I've got a friend that works in the HR dept of a company that bans guns on their property. One of the employees had his car broken into and he reported to the Police that 2 guns were taken. He not only lost his 2 guns but was fired also.

That Sucks!!!

I was just going to bring this up. Another thing to remember is IF you ever felt the need to use it while on company property you'll probably be terminated as well.

I don't like it either but if I liked my job, I would either park elsewhere or leave it at home.

So I have a question...how can an employer legally search an employee's car?

Matthew

They probably can't, but they may fire you for not allowing them to.

As has been said, TN is a Right to Work state and you can be let go for any reason. However at some point when you hired in you probably signed something that said you were given a copy of the companies policies and that you have (or will) read and understand them. Within those policies is probably consent to search.

So I have a question...how can an employer legally search an employee's car?

No one can legally search your car except the Police (without your permission). But if it’s a case like theft; the cops can very easily search your car.

And as others have pointed out; they can simply fire you.

I keep my mouth shut and don't talk to anyone about guns at work. About the closest I come to talking about guns might be hunting. I sure don't tell anyone I have a handgun carry permit and that I carry one on me. Sometimes I carry mine on me and sometimes I secure it in a safe place in my car....depending on whether I have to work late and walk a parking lot at night or if there are some wierdos at work or the area (such as Memphis city limits) is known for car break ins. I don't trust companies to keep me safe...just myself. Don't tell your buddies maybe not even your girlfriend/wife if she talks a lot. Do remember that carrying on yourself eliminates the worry about theft. Police write up a report that your gun was stolen out of your car and HR gets the report then they will find out and probably use it as a reason to fire you. I like keeping mine on me in Memphis for that reason. Get a good holster and a good snubbie and you'll be fine. If folks everywhere else don't notice your gun, how would your coworkers know? They don't have X Ray vision.

Guest jackdm3

Irritating about them seeing a report, though. If the report shows that a pistol was stolen, you do not at that time have a weapon on the premises, so no foul! :popcorn: