Weird findings in the woods

Guest AmericanWorkMule

Not found in the woods aside from our house being in the woods.

Last night around midnight two horses and a donkey showed up raising a fuss.

Turned out they escaped from about a thousand yards or so away from their home up the ridge.

Was about as much fun as the day the bull was munching on my backyard

I have never been hunting, but I have years of backpacking, camping through my times in the Boy Scouts. We have hiked so many places that I can't remember where any particular place is ha.

I can recall hiking in the woods somewhere near where an old log train used to run. I found a big lump of coal probably from the locomotive's hopper. We have also come across abandoned tents with items scattered across the whole site. Probably have seen a few dead animals, although I can't recall any right now. We have stumbled across a graveyard or too, including what was an indian burial ground.

I will have to pry some of my friends and see if they remember anything interesting. I was in the BSA from 4th grade up until around the time I graduated high school. They kick you out at 18. I made it to Eagle.

I will have to pry some of my friends and see if they remember anything interesting. I was in the BSA from 4th grade up until around the time I graduated high school. They kick you out at 18. I made it to Eagle.

Congrats on the Eagle, I'm one as well. Unfortunately fewer and fewer people are going that far to get it.

Congrats on the Eagle, I'm one as well. Unfortunately fewer and fewer people are going that far to get it.

I understand there is a regional banquet being organized for all Eagles past and present?

I haven't found anything interesting while in the woods, an occasional antler shed, and a few bones now an then. Found some fiberglass insulation, a few pieces of barn tin once after one of the tornados a couple years back.

I do own a couple of 1911's

no Glocks

and never made Eagle either

did stay in a Holiday Express once though

Edited by Sidinman
  • Like 1

While on a fishing trip in Northern Ontario, we were flown into a camp and left for a week. Fished everyday and ate what we caught. One day I walked into the woods and found the remains of an old cabin- long ago fallen in and rotten. I dug around a little and found an old hammer head (the handle gone.) This has been my reminder of a great trip with my brother and friends.

• 6 months later...
Guest AmericanWorkMule

Has anyone stumbled across anything weird lately?

We were hiking around Central City, CO and found some old 8 oz Coors beer cans you had to use a can opener on

Edited by AmericanWorkMule
Has anyone stumbled across anything weird lately?

We were hiking around Central City, CO and found some old 8 oz Coors beer cans you had to use a can opener on

I've found a few of those before, not Coors though. More common are the pull tab cans.

I found some marijuana today, does that count?

vetaga3e.jpg

Lets see, I have found a BB gun under a log. I have found a wallet (Kids wallet, no id, no money, just school pictures), necklace of a 1/2 dollar, abaondoned Toyota 4x4, junk, cans, bottles, rusty old cheap pocket knife, and probably more. I just can not remember.

Guest AmericanWorkMule

I used to think abandoned camp sites were spooky!

As a kid I got scared when we once found an abandoned tent but now realize they are most likely left behind by the lazy campers you come across now days.

They don't feel like packing out their equipment nor their trash.

...We have also come across abandoned tents with items scattered across the whole site.

Tents-left-by-Music-Fans--007.jpg

When I was 13 or 14 I found a crosscut saw stuck in a stump. Looks like they sunk it in the stump then left it there. Handles were gone, but the blade was still there. I've found a few pocket knives through the years. I once found a helicopter rotor blade in a crate when I was in avation mechanic school at MCAS New River, NC. Threw it in the truck, took it in to some buddies of mine who worked on dynamic components. It was a tail blade for a 60's-70's Huey. Musta been dropped back in the day.

My dad squirrel hunts in the Tensas Wildlife Refuge in La every year. I've got with him several times and found homesteads in the middle of what is now 80k acres of swamp and bottomland hardwoods. The one that I can remember best was a crumbling house with a small corrall and the rusting shell of a Studebaker truck. We never investigated the houses or anything, but when I stopped and really looked at the woods around the house, I noticed some of the trees were smaller in a linear path and had some low spots that might have been ruts. Figured that was where the road used to be 80 years ago. They had built the house next to a river, and there might have been some remants of a small dock if I remember correctly. After driving down gravel roads for 30 minutes, riding a 4-wheeler for almost an hour, walking for 4 hours and then finding a house is still hard weird to me. I can't imagine the isolation these folks lived in.

Not a find, but a spooky story. I went hunting down there one winter with my dad and bro-in-law. Dad and bro-in-law went in the woods together, and I headed off on my own. We got started around 3pm and after a few hours I started back to the road, navigating by compass. It gets dark really quickly in those woods, and, since I didn't have a flashlight, I wanted to get back to the road before it got dark.

Those woods are pretty dense with lots of undergrowth. Specifically these fan-shaped Palmetto bushes that sound like you're walking through brown paper bags when you brush them. I'd been walking slowly for about 15 minutes and wasn't sure how much farther it was to the road when I started to think I was hearing something moving other than me. I casually stopped and listened, but didn't hear anything. I shrugged and kept on. As soon as I started walking, I heard the noise again. It sounded like something moving through the Palmetto, but I was making enough noise that I couldn't distinguish b/w me and the other noise. I could tell it was behind me and to the right, though.

Figured I'd be clever and this time I stopped as I was passing a big tree that would shield me from anything in that direction. The noise stopped as soon as I stopped moving. At this point I'm wondering if I'm just paranoid. Headed back out and the noise was getting a little louder. Definitely not my imagination. Tried stopping mid-stride a couple of times at random just to see if I could get whatever it was to take one more step. No go. The noise just kept stopped as soon as I did.

I found a tree, put my back against it and stood there for a while. I figured if it's a bear or other woodland animal it will move soon. The sunlight was fading quickly and it was already getting hard to see. Not having a light I DID NOT want to be in those woods with something behind me and not be able to see anything. I consulted the compass, picked a heading perpendicular to the road and worked on my speed walking, checking my six every 10 yards or so.

Finally hit the road, but was separated by a narrow, but deep ditch full of water. I had rubberized knee-length boots on for wading through the swampy pools, but I could tell this was deeper than that. At this point I was a little spooked and just said screw it. Waded about two steps through thigh deep, 45 degree water, which filled my boots to the brim. Dumped them out and headed down the road to find the truck and waited for Dad and bro-in-law to get back.

I never said anything to them, for obvious reasons. A couple of hours after we got back to the camp, bro-in-law said, "Did you hear anything while you were in the woods?" with this smile on his face. He had separated from Dad and run across me on the way out, then decided to follow me. He could see me as long as I was moving, and he would freeze when I did. As long as he didn't move, I couldn't see him in the camo. I told him he was lucky I didn't shoot him!