Weird Road Stories

Guest Straight Shooter

Guest Straight Shooter

The recent thread about wierd findings in the woods got me thinking about all the plum nutty,crazy,dangerous,obscene,un-freakin-believeable stuff Ive seen in all my wonderings on the road,especially my well over 1.25 million miles as an OTR truck driver.

So,lets here your tales of the road.

Ill start. Ive got HUNDREDS, but to this day,this still really makes me wonder WTF.

Ok,around 98-99, Im truckin up thru West BY GOD Virginia on I-77 toll road. Its January I remember, was around 0130 or 0145 in the morning, VERY bad weather,was below 0 and spittin snow and ice. Almost no traffic on the road. Im northbound, no traffic at all around me,or in sight of me either way. I was just going along,no radio or CB on,wide awake,nothing but road noise. Fellas, all a sudden... BOOOM!!!! If lightening woulda hit me, I wouldnt have been more in shock. A seemingly bucketfull of shrapnel hits my face,neck,eyes,hands,ect. then,ice water and cold air. I literally didnt know whether to :screwy: or go blind. My first thought was "My God,Ive been shot". Thought maybe someone somehow came up beside the truck with lights out and put a round in the cab. After about 30 seconds or so,I gently hit the shoulder and got on the CB for help. I was COVERED in...something. A female trucker a few miles behind me said they were on the way. I got up out of the seat, cut on lights,and saw powdered glass EVERYWHERE. I mean, all over. My hair,down my back, my bunk ect. I start looking around for a shotgun blast hole...nothin. My hearing took awhile to return, Ill NEVER forget how Un-GODLY loud this was inside the cab. Anyway, I look up,and where the cab skylight was, had a double fist sized hole in it. I look and on my bunk, a fist sized rock lay there. Now,heres the thing. I have been up/down that piece of road hundreds of times before AND after. I SWEAR there is NO WAY, NOTHING, NADA, someone could have thrown this rock. No overpass, out in middle of nothing, below 0 weather, river on my right side,five open lanes on my left. NO WAY. Had this hit my head,Im absolutely sure I woulda been hurt bad,if not killed. Part 2 of this story,which I wont go into now because of time, is how I was treated by the W. VA. state Trooper who I apparently woke up to come to my aid and write a report. Alls Ill say about him is...:taunt:. Anyway, never did know what happened. I had to run for two more days with that hole pouring ICE WATER down my back,before my company got me to a shop. Still got the rock,was looking at it the other day.

Dangerous stuff, trucking.:tinfoil:

Next?:shrug:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's one. Gal that was my son's after school math tutor for a year... lives in Inglewood... extremely devout Christian... she was driving along behind a semi truck full of pipes, and one blew off, headed right for her windshield. She saw it coming, and she screamed for Jesus to save her. Now, she says the pipe just disappeared; didn't touch her. BUT... when she took the car in for an oil change, up on the rack... the guys saw a hole in the back floorboard, right behind the driver's seat, with the metal fringes pointing out, as if something huge had torn right through the car from the inside...

Guest Bronker

I was coming across South Dakota with a load of Quarter Horses in the mid 90's, and had been driving for over 31 continuous hours, when I heard a jingling sound...

I looked out the drivers side window to see a black Santa Claus pass me at 90 mph, being pulled by a herd of green reindeer.:D

I have done no Vivarin / amphetamines cocktails since.:cool:

True story. At least the hallucinations anyway.

Guest jackdm3

Because it happened on a city street/road, I have this. My step-mom said we were driving down the street to the stop light. While we waited, there were two intense lights that approached from the sky and settled in one place as I said "Look at that." Light turned green, but we stayed still, fixated. A second later, the two lights that had floated in complete and perfect unison all this time split hard right and left. Still to this day, I look at my step-mom and this story with raised brow.

My best friend since the 2nd grade and I were hanging out one night about 3 years ago. He lives out in Lenoir City on the lake.

As he was headed out Muddy Creek about midnight he came to a curve in the road. Midway through the curve he notices a man dressed in solid black standing in the middle of the road. He was driving a Jeep Cherokee at the time and to this day doesn't know how he didn't flip the thing trying to avoid this guy.

He said he must have came within a few feet of the guy but the guy didn't make any attempt to get out of the way.

He was so shaken up by it that when he got home, his mom could tell right away. He still talks about that event sometimes.

Next.

Guest Straight Shooter

GREAT STORIES so far! I cant wait to read more.

Allow me to toss in another or two along. Once while delivering a load out in the boonies of Louisiana,and fellas I mean THE boonies, I was in the truck with my 1st wife, it was a July day, and as I recall about 105 degrees. Im on a road so narrow and curvy, Im only doing about 25 or so. I round a curve and RIGHT in the middle of this road is a dude about, hell at least 70, wearing only sandals and a freakin loin cloth and carrying this HUGE, long wood cross. I had to really get on the brakes hard, this dude never batted an eye, and only moved over a foot or so. My wife was like "whats he doing"? I told her welcome to trucking, hell if I knew.

Ok, here's one. Gal that was my son's after school math tutor for a year... lives in Inglewood... extremely devout Christian... she was driving along behind a semi truck full of pipes, and one blew off, headed right for her windshield. She saw it coming, and she screamed for Jesus to save her. Now, she says the pipe just disappeared; didn't touch her. BUT... when she took the car in for an oil change, up on the rack... the guys saw a hole in the back floorboard, right behind the driver's seat, with the metal fringes pointing out, as if something huge had torn right through the car from the inside...

HE moves in ways we can not even understand.

Nor driving related but fell through a ceiling once in a garage portion of the house, right over an aireator (big round thing full of spikes), never hit the ground, when I stopped falling I pulled myself up through the hole and cleaned out what was left of the insulation and there was nothing between the rafters that could have stopped a 250 (at the time)lb man.

Edited by dralarms

About thirty years ago I was with a girlfriend out in the middle of nowhere Indiana on a two lane road that was pretty much straight as a string for a couple of miles.

We are driving along and we hear the most loud roaring nosie that I had ever heard in my life, I swear I thought my way old truck was coming apart at the welds. I about crapped myself.

Looking up out of the windshield I see a Fighter Jet of some sort appearing to go near vertical. Dunno what happened but I would bet money that he saw me on the road with no other traffic and he made a run on me for the fun of it or practice or what not. It scared the dayilghts out of me, and we had a great laugh over it.

About thirty years ago I was with a girlfriend out in the middle of nowhere Indiana on a two lane road that was pretty much straight as a string for a couple of miles.

We are driving along and we hear the most loud roaring nosie that I had ever heard in my life, I swear I thought my way old truck was coming apart at the welds. I about crapped myself.

Looking up out of the windshield I see a Fighter Jet of some sort appearing to go near vertical. Dunno what happened but I would bet money that he saw me on the road with no other traffic and he made a run on me for the fun of it or practice or what not. It scared the dayilghts out of me, and we had a great laugh over it.

a f4 phantom did the same thing to me and my mom when i was in high school. we were heading south on hwy 17 in northeast LA. head the rushing noise, like we were about to get hit by a train, and then the boom as he went over us and kicked into a turn. pretty neat stuff.

now im not one who believes in ghosts or anything paranormal but the stuff does interest me. now on to my two stories

i was sitting at the railroad crossing at night on boy scout road near HWY 27 in chattanooga and the road runs through a fair amount f woods. im sitting there and i happen to look to my right and i see a pale man walk out of the woods walk maybe 15 feet in front of me and as soon as he got across the road he just vanished.

the 2nd one comes from my mom and sister who were visiting my grandparents in tullahoma and they were going down jackson st. my mom is driving and my sister yells out to my mom to watch out cause a guy is riding a bicycle and headed straight for them. my mom sees nothing and keeps going. my sister asks did you not see the guy in white on the bicycle hit us and continue on through the car?

a f4 phantom did the same thing to me and my mom when i was in high school. we were heading south on hwy 17 in northeast LA. head the rushing noise, like we were about to get hit by a train, and then the boom as he went over us and kicked into a turn. pretty neat stuff.

Just out of curiousity what were you doing in NE LA? Thats my old stomping grounds.

As far as planes go, one that I will never forget was out around the airforce base in SC. The AC130's were doing touch and go training, so me and my g/f (at the time) decided to park at the end of one of the runways that was close to the road to watch. Don't know if it's still there, but back then there was a parking area because alot of folks liked to stop there. After watching for a while, one came in from behind us and to me it looked like the tires on that thing couldn't have been more than two feet above my windshield. :rolleyes: We decided after that that it must not be a good idea to sit there while they were training, and about the time I started the car to leave a police officer pulled up and told me exactly what we had just figured out.

One of my favorites though is one that nobody believes when we tell it. My cousin and I were riding down a local backroad here late one night. We came around a curve, and there was a deer standing on the side of the road. As she went to run across to the field on the other side, a Bud-Light 12pack box flew up and went right on her head. The only thing I could ever figure out was that she musta been chewing on the box, and threw her head back when she went to run. She ran around in the field for a bit with the box covering her head before she finally got it off. Had to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen, but my cousin and I are the only ones that even believe the story.

I'll throw another one in the mix. I don't know if this one is weird or just cool. When I lived in Loudon years ago I was in the car(mom driving) and I spotted a bunch of money blowing around in the middle of the road. Nearly $200 worth of cash!!! I guess it flew out someones window. I kept it and started my first bank account with it.

Guest Major Pain

Was out in backyard cutting up some firewood with a chainsaw when I noticed wife walk out on back porch and stand just watching. About that time the chainsaw began making the most god awful sound I had ever heard. It sounded like it was coming apart. I threw it down and started running when I noticed wife laughing her butt off. Chainsaw quit as fighter jet cleared top of trees by about 50'.--MP

Guest colrmccoll
The recent thread about wierd findings in the woods got me thinking about all the plum nutty,crazy,dangerous,obscene,un-freakin-believeable stuff Ive seen in all my wonderings on the road,especially my well over 1.25 million miles as an OTR truck driver.

So,lets here your tales of the road.

Ill start. Ive got HUNDREDS, but to this day,this still really makes me wonder WTF.

Ok,around 98-99, Im truckin up thru West BY GOD Virginia on I-77 toll road. Its January I remember, was around 0130 or 0145 in the morning, VERY bad weather,was below 0 and spittin snow and ice. Almost no traffic on the road. Im northbound, no traffic at all around me,or in sight of me either way. I was just going along,no radio or CB on,wide awake,nothing but road noise. Fellas, all a sudden... BOOOM!!!! If lightening woulda hit me, I wouldnt have been more in shock. A seemingly bucketfull of shrapnel hits my face,neck,eyes,hands,ect. then,ice water and cold air. I literally didnt know whether to :poop: or go blind. My first thought was "My God,Ive been shot". Thought maybe someone somehow came up beside the truck with lights out and put a round in the cab. After about 30 seconds or so,I gently hit the shoulder and got on the CB for help. I was COVERED in...something. A female trucker a few miles behind me said they were on the way. I got up out of the seat, cut on lights,and saw powdered glass EVERYWHERE. I mean, all over. My hair,down my back, my bunk ect. I start looking around for a shotgun blast hole...nothin. My hearing took awhile to return, Ill NEVER forget how Un-GODLY loud this was inside the cab. Anyway, I look up,and where the cab skylight was, had a double fist sized hole in it. I look and on my bunk, a fist sized rock lay there. Now,heres the thing. I have been up/down that piece of road hundreds of times before AND after. I SWEAR there is NO WAY, NOTHING, NADA, someone could have thrown this rock. No overpass, out in middle of nothing, below 0 weather, river on my right side,five open lanes on my left. NO WAY. Had this hit my head,Im absolutely sure I woulda been hurt bad,if not killed. Part 2 of this story,which I wont go into now because of time, is how I was treated by the W. VA. state Trooper who I apparently woke up to come to my aid and write a report. Alls Ill say about him is...:tinfoil:. Anyway, never did know what happened. I had to run for two more days with that hole pouring ICE WATER down my back,before my company got me to a shop. Still got the rock,was looking at it the other day.

Dangerous stuff, trucking.:death:

Next?:)

If you still have the rock, you might want to have it checked out because if it is a meteorite it may be worth some money.

I have read where some of these are worth thousands.

A little over a year ago, my wife and I were heading down to New Orleans for a little vacation. She was driving as we headed south through MS. At one point, we found ourselves in the left lane and uncomfortably (to me) close to the rear end of a tractor trailer ahead of us. I was busy 'splainin to my wife why you don't want to follow a truck real close (the whole retread thing). As usual, she wanted to be a little argumentative, ignoring my agrument about the dozens of tire chunks lying along the roadside anywhere trucks travel. She decided to back off a good bit just to shut me up. As soon as she gave it enough space, a "thug wagon" with 20" rims hopped in between us and the truck. The "thug wagon" was riding the truck about as close as we had been moments before. No more than 30 seconds later, I see what looked like a puff of smoke come from one of the wheels. I hollered "S&*^"! as a retread came off the truck and smashed the windshield of the "thug wagon". It rolled over the roof and smacked the grille of my wife's SUV before passing underneath.

My wife and I took a second to regain our composure and as I started to open my mouth, my wife glanced over and said "If you say 'I told you so', I'm pulling over and you're walking".

I'll give the wannabe gangster credit for how he handled it. He held his composure and pulled off onto the shoulder. Maybe one of these days, my wife'll listen. At least she got to learn that lesson at someone else's expense.:tinfoil:

I on my bike heading home from my annual ride to the Texas Hill Country two years ago. I had just crossed into MS on I-59 from LA. It was a beautiful morning around 8:30 to 9:00 and I havent seen any traffic in either direction in the last 20 or so miles. I am fat, dumb and happy cruising along all relaxed at 75-80 MPH in the right lane. I come around a long sweeping left hand curve and there is a large trailor with a huge/industial earth mover being towed. I check left, no traffic, hit the turn signal and just start easing into the left lane. Now I am cruising at a pretty good pace, and the huge scraper isnt going very fast, so our closure rate is rather high. Just as I started into the left lane the trailor moves into the left lane. Hmmm I am now thinking there are two vehicles when I thought there was one. Just as the thought popped into my head all hell broke loose. Crap, dirt, dust, sparks, you name it, it was flying every where!!! I am off the throttle and braking hard as I am only 35 or 40 yards back by this time. A dinner plate piece of something passes just in front of my face and I am freaking out, braking hard and in full sphincter clinch. The trailor slides into the left lane and eventually off into the median where it lights the grass on fire. By the time its in the grass, my heart resumes beating and I realize I am stopped in the middle of the interstate. I check my mirrors and pull up in front of the truck that was pulling the trailor and park. The guy jumps out of the cab saying "Thank God, I lost sight of you when it broke loose" I get off the bike and try to gain some composure, as I had a nice adrenaline rush going on. LOL

As a side note, to this day I DO NOT stay behind ANYTHING being towed!!!

Edited by buck1032
Added a note
... Maybe one of these days, my wife'll listen.

My wife is also a habitual tailgater, drives me nuts. Let me know how the listening thing works out. :confused:

As for my road story.... I saw a yeti on an isolated backroad in WNC. It was late in the day in the early fall with long shadows coming through the trees. I was riding my bike, headed toward home at a moderate pace down this twisty road I'd happened across. I recall coming around a sweeping left turn onto a short straight section when I saw something about 6 ft tall, with very long white fur that was matted and filthy standing in the middle of the road. I slowed to a stop about 200ft from it and sat there for a minute trying to figure out what I was looking at. I suspect it was doing the same thing as I was in my full power-ranger motorcycling garb.

It turned and took a couple steps toward me. I considered a quick u-turn but my bike was in the left portion of the lane on this narrow road which meant I'd need at least a 3 pointer to turn around. My heart rate went up a notch or two. It paused for a long moment, then turned and headed off the road, down the hill into the brush to my left. I rode up to where it had been standing and looked around but didn't see anything. So I continued on toward home.

Edited by peejman
My wife is also a habitual tailgater, drives me nuts. Let me know how the listening thing works out. :confused:

As for my road story.... I saw a yeti on an isolated backroad in WNC. It was late in the day in the early fall with long shadows coming through the trees. I was riding my bike, headed toward home at a moderate pace down this twisty road I'd happened across. I recall coming around a sweeping left turn onto a short straight section when I saw something about 6 ft tall, with very long white fur that was matted and filthy standing in the middle of the road. I slowed to a stop about 200ft from it and sat there for a minute trying to figure out what I was looking at. I suspect it was doing the same thing as I was in my full power-range motorcycling garb.

It turned and took a couple steps toward me. I considered a quick u-turn but my bike was in the left portion of the lane on this narrow road which meant I'd need at least a 3 pointer to turn around. My heart rate went up a notch or two. It paused for a long moment, then turned and headed off the road, down the hill into the brush to my left. I rode up to where it had been standing and looked around but didn't see anything. So I continued on toward home.

Did he ask you for "tree-fitty"?

Two or three years ago, my wife and I were headed back to Loudon from the Cleveland area, driving along on Highway 11. There were a few other vehicles around, including my sister in law who was driving behind us. Suddenly, just after dusk had faded to full dark, I saw what I thought was the biggest, brightest shooting star I had ever seen in my life. It came streaking through the sky and was the classic 'ball with a tail', comet-like shape and was bright white and intensely bright, like images I have seen of burning phosphorus. Then things got weird. Just as it got across the road and about level with the tops of the trees - so close that I expected to actually see it hit the ground - it stopped. And hovered. Then took off just as fast as it had been moving before, if not faster.

My wife asked me if I saw it, I described what I saw and she had seen the same. My wife then called my sister in law on her cell phone. She, too, had seen the same thing. Judging by the fact that the few other cars in front of us had hit their brakes and slowed down, I can only assume that they saw it as well.

When we got home, my wife and I both checked the Internet to see if we could find anything about it. There were a few news stories, including one on AOL - along with comments following the stories from people who had seen the same or a similar object. These stories were from all over the Southeast and even a few from just outside the region. All had happened within a short span of time.

Now for the weirdest part of all. My wife and I both bookmarked some of those news stories so that we could come back and check for updates the next day. However, when we followed those bookmarks the next day - nothing. Every, single one of them led to variations of the 'page not found' message, as if those articles never existed. From time to time, my wife and I will talk about what we saw - just to make sure we both saw it and one of us didn't simply dream it.

Edited by JAB
Guest Straight Shooter

I listened to old Art for years on the road, kept me awake for many many a long night. Of course, it was just entertainment, but sometimes he'd have something a little believeable on. For various reasons, Im NOT gonna go into any detail, but I was stationed for 25 months at Naval Weapons Station, Yorktown Va, from 84 to 86. this is a VERY VERY historical area, and its right on the Colonial Parkway, and a couple miles from where the coward Cornwallis surrendered the British to the "rabble" Americans. On this large base, we marines had the duty of gaurding the place. Had EVERYTHING on it from pistol ammo, up to some big nukes, which is why combat marines were put in charge of security. Anyway, on this base, there are historical sights you would not believe, nor have ever heard about, and may never will. And, A TON of ghost stories. Just tons. Ive heard things,and even tho was armed with M16 and .45 pistol, I was scared to death. Several of my buds saw stuff that freaked them out. So, I know there are unexplained things out there, its just the kooks who make up a lot of this stuff, hurts other peoples credibility.

As for the yeti/bigfoot stories, I saw something while easing thru a Florida swamp in the big truck a few years ago, and I no longer doubt some of that,either.

Its a big world boys, we AINT seen it all.