"Fun to shoot" Semi-Auto options...

Bubbatn

So i'm doing a little pre-research, as I hope to one day be able to get me some sort of cheaper(price-wise) semi-auto rifle that is just a fun to shoot type gun. I'm talking guns like(or alternative to) an AR, Mini-14, SKS, etc, etc. I really don't know much about these guys or what is really available out there, so i'm leaving it up to you guys. As much as I would love to have a full "pimped-out" AR, I know that is simply not an option for me due to their price. So i'm kinda thinking something that could be optained for under say....$400 or so bucks. Also, I would like something that wouldn't cost me an arm and an leg to run some rounds through at the range, so less expensive ammo is a big plus as well. I wouldn't be opposed to an older style military type gun either(like an SKS, or anything of the such). So i'm just kinda curious as to what my options are when the day comes that I can come up with the extra coin. So anyone that would like to shed some light for me, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I think you'll find under $400 is an SKS. Personally, I never liked them until I got a Yugo M59/66A1. It's built like a tank, much beefier than other SKS's, and very accurate. You should be able to find one for around $300 or so.

It also has the added benefit of a grenade launcher if you ever find yourself in need of one. :D

Saiga in 5.56x45 or 7.62x39. You can get them for under $400. Ammo is cheap and they can be upgraded to cheaply.

I have been doing abit of research on these guns, What can you tell me about them? For the price, I wouldn't be opposed to one of these if I liked how they felt/shot.

With the cartridges you mentioned, I'm assuming the 7.62x39 would be abit cheaper than the 5.56 wouldn't it? I see they also offer these guns in a 5.45x39...But it seems(from what i've read) that this cartridge may be abit harder to come by than the 7.62...Does that sound about right?

I have been doing abit of research on these guns, What can you tell me about them? For the price, I wouldn't be opposed to one of these if I liked how they felt/shot.

With the cartridges you mentioned, I'm assuming the 7.62x39 would be abit cheaper than the 5.56 wouldn't it? I see they also offer these guns in a 5.45x39...But it seems(from what i've read) that this cartridge may be abit harder to come by than the 7.62...Does that sound about right?

I just picked up a Saiga in 5.45x39. Ammo is readily available online and reasonably cheap, seems to be in the .11 cents per round range. The Saigas come in a 'sporter' configuration, but can be converted to the traditional AK style stock with a pistol grip.

Well, let me know when you find that "less expensive" ammo.

Even bulk .22 is up to about 4¢/round.

Cheap .223 around a quarter a pop.

Maybe you should get a Mosin, even though it's not semi-auto.

Under .20/round, plus you won't shoot much of it at a time. :D

Maybe a HiPoint 995.

Rifle is $250, 9mm not too pricey compared to much of it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I don't know what i'm gonna end up with guys, Like I said...I am just trying to figure out whats out there right now. I am not really ready to buy yet.

OS, A Mosin is on my list of "to get's" eventually...:D

I appreciate the input so far! Thanks!

Guest mosinon

the hipoint is a lot of fun even though it is cheap. And, hey, you're after fun right?

Really, I shot OhShoot's once or twice and it was more satisfying than the 10/22 though more expensive on ammo. Plus, I wouldn't worry about anyone within a hundred yards with one of those things.

I got to shoot Mike.357's Hipoint while at Norris the other day and it was alright, but I guess I am just wanting something with abit more "bang"...haha.

The reason I stated "less expensive ammo" is I was meaning something isn't gonna cost me 50 cents to a dollar every time I pull the trigger...haha.

Guest smileyguy

Yup, WASRs can be had for under $400, as well as the Saiga 7.62x39. I've been thinking about a Saiga myself and doing the conversion. Can't go wrong with an AK style rifle. They're cheap. Ammo is cheap. They're fun. They're so simple children in the 3rd world actually use them in war, and they're the most reliable semi you'll ever own.

Guest benroe

The 9mm hi point rifle is an absolute hoot to shoot. I like them a ton better than their pistols. They are extremely accurate to boot. We used to shoot birds at more than 50yds with iron sights on a regular basis with those. The next best thing is a tactical 10/22. Those are even cheaper to shoot, but the initial cost is going to be about the same if not a bit more.

Guest kdud03

10/22 would be a fun plinker an cheap to shoot ....

i personally dont like the ak cuz they are so inaccurate but they werent built to be.

sks is fun an prolly one of your best options for 400.

ar's are out of price range but hella fun.

dunno nuttin bout the hi points.

the m1 .30 carbine is also a blast to shoot but you would have to look around for one cuz new they are 650.

i also got a marlin model 60 .22 that i got for $100 an it is very fun .

mosin is fun but nothin like a semi auto....

just my input for what its worth

Kurt

Guest TargetShooter84

Well, let me know when you find that "less expensive" ammo.

Even bulk .22 is up to about 4¢/round.

Cheap .223 around a quarter a pop.

Maybe you should get a Mosin, even though it's not semi-auto.

Under .20/round, plus you won't shoot much of it at a time. :D

Maybe a HiPoint 995.

Rifle is $250, 9mm not too pricey compared to much of it.

- OS

Funny you bring this up...I was putting my receipts away from my gun purchase yesterday and saw a old Walmart receipt for 9mm 100 value pack and it was priced at 14 bucks and that was back in 2007....its gone up to nearly 24 bucks now at Walmart for 100 pack...almost ten bucks.

10/22 would be a fun plinker an cheap to shoot ....

i personally dont like the ak cuz they are so inaccurate but they werent built to be.

sks is fun an prolly one of your best options for 400.

ar's are out of price range but hella fun.

dunno nuttin bout the hi points.

the m1 .30 carbine is also a blast to shoot but you would have to look around for one cuz new they are 650.

i also got a marlin model 60 .22 that i got for $100 an it is very fun .

mosin is fun but nothin like a semi auto....

just my input for what its worth

Kurt

I'd be willing to bet an AK is more accurate than you can shoot. Ammo is the main issue with AK accuracy.

I again say get the Centerfire AK74 or the Hi-Point are the ways to go for pure fun.