looking for a decent safe.

As I'm sure this has been talked about a number of times, but things change and someone might have spotted a good sale recently I thought I might as well as.

I am looking for a decent safe. At least 4x (or more) long guns, and 6x (or more) handguns, and all the ammo and goodies I can fit in there.

I am not cash strapped, but I am trying to buy on a budget. I don't want something that is easy to break into but I really can't afford to drop 1k on one either.

Thanks for the help, if you spot a good deal somewhere let me know, if you have what I am looking for and don't need it anymore PM me, or if you know a nice local (Nashville area) shop that is good to deal with that would be good too. I will get back to google searching some good deals.

john.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a 48-gun Stackon for several years and found it to be of more than just acceptable quality. Got it at Dick's during an emplyoyee sale for around 900 otd. Have been very satisfied til the Great Nashville Flood of 2010. Unfortunately, it's not waterproof. Two feet of water for about 24 hours does not sit well with firearms.:screwy:

no thread hijacking intended, isn't there a safe company on John Sevier Hwy in Knoxville? Seems they sell wholesale - anybody?

It is the Champion Safe Outlet Store. If you're headed down John Sevier from the Wendys, the sign is on the right side of the road. You'll turn right on a smaller road, and their building is toward the end on the left.

Seem like good people, they were at a gun show in Smyrna a long time ago. I stopped at their facility a couple of weeks back, and they had a good selection of safes. I don't know if they're considered 'wholesale' or not, though. I checked with them and The Safe House here in Nashville on a particular model, and found The Safe House was very competitive on the price. The Outlet was slightly less expensive, but not enough to make up for the drive over to Knoxville.

Edited by 56FordGuy

Well I might just have to stop over at the Safe House and take a look, its dangerous because if I see a really nice one and then one that is a bit more budget I might be swayed to spend the extra coin.

I will keep up the search, I also was reading some of the older safe threads, and I might have to go bigger, might as well get a big one now and fill it up over time.

I started with a small safe to keep handguns (now documents). I later got a larger safe to hold rifles, pistols and ammo (now no room for ammo). As I acquire more guns and ammo, another safe will be necessary. The post above is correct, the safe with extra space today will become too small tomorrow.

Stack-on has a good price, but it took Mark @ The Safe House about 30 seconds to talk me out of it. He showed me a business safe that a company needed access to post flood. He was called in to make that happen. He said it took him 15 minutes to open.

Anybody tried these?

SnapSafe | Closet Safe, Gun Locker, Modular Safe, Fire Protection Vault

Comes un-assembled and can be torn down and reassembled.

Never seen one in person, but from the photos it appears that the door only has locking bolts on one side, and none on the top or bottom. That concerns me a little. The latches to assemble it seem a bit unreliable, too. Something about that type latch makes me uneasy.

Zannotti Armor makes a multi- piece safe also. I looked into them a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly, their design has pins to hold it together.

I bought a small Centurion safe at Lowes for $360+tax. I'm fairly confident that no one will be able to break into it during the span of a burglary. It's fine for a bunch of hunting rifles and handguns, but my ARs don't fit in there very well. I made them work but if my collection expands I may have to pick up another safe.