Do you flaunt your permit?

I've got a friend that has to ask for customers' ID on her job. It seems like every time I turn around I hear another story of a permit holder handing over their carry permit instead of a driver's license. Only once did the story go "oops, sorry, wrong one" with an innocent look on their face. All the others either hand it over with an intimidating or bragging smirk. Ya know, that's just not the right way to go about making our side look good.

If you want to show off what you got, just open carry. :D

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe
I carry a permit the same as I carry a weapon - concealed

Ditto that^^^ and I also carry it in a different part of my wallet to prevent accidental exposure. It is for me to see and to show to LEO if needed that is all.

Guest TargetShooter84
I carry a permit the same as I carry a weapon - concealed
I never use mine as a form of ID. Seems confrontational to me.

+1

if you are carrying concealed, why flaunt your permit? Defeats the purpose one would think. The permit is to have for one thing only, show legal proof you are permitted to carry when approached by the proper authority, other than that, you are flaunting, bragging, showing off, etc. JMTCW

if you are carrying concealed, why flaunt your permit? Defeats the purpose one would think. The permit is to have for one thing only, show legal proof you are permitted to carry when approached by the proper authority after shooting a BG, other than that, you are flaunting, bragging, showing off, etc. JMTCW

fixed that for you

I use a passport for ID. I keep my car hid and really don’t want people to know I have a drivers license.

My driver’s license is for LEO’s to see only, and then only with probable cause or a warrant.

rollfloor.gif

Guess I have a different view. I frequently and deliberately use it as ID in stores in safe parts of town.

I figure:

1. the store clerk is not a bad guy/gal therefore they are not going to be an attacker.

2. No one else is paying attention to what ID I present

3. I do not view it as threatening. I do not open carry.

4. Most importantly it demonstrates through my actions that people do legally and responsibly carry. Hopefully this starts to breakdown some misperceptions. A lot of people tell me I look like an accountant or lawyer, so I assume I look responsible.

5. If more people do this it may shatter even more peoples misperceptions.

6. Here in TN all of the clerks seem to have no problem finding the date. They act as if it is common for people to present the permit as ID. I have never had so much as a 2nd look from anyone, even in the liberal NE.

Feel free to post opposing views. I may learn something and make a more informed decision.

Edited by Patrick Henry
Guess I have a different view. I frequently and deliberately use it as ID.

I figure:

1. the store clerk is not a bad guy/gal therefore they are not going to be an attacker.

2. No one else is paying attention to what ID I present

3. I do not view it as threatening. I do not open carry.

4. Most importantly it demonstrates through my actions that people do legally and responsibly carry. Hopefully this starts to breakdown some misperceptions. A lot of people tell me I look like an accountant or lawyer, so I assume I look responsible.

5. If more people do this it may shatter even more peoples misperceptions.

6. Here in TN all of the clerks seem to have no problem finding the date. They act as if it is common for people to present the permit as ID. I have never had so much as a 2nd look from anyone, even in the liberal NE.

Feel free to post opposing views. I may learn something and make a more informed decision.

I can respect you view on this. Don't necessarily agree, but your argument is good.

That one sounded pretty well thought out to me. thumbsup.gif

You were obviously taking the question seriously while I was being facetious and flippant. ;)

Guest 6.8 AR

I keep it right behind my DL. I don't see a problem with

showing it for ID. I'm fact, I intentionally show it at the

Broad St On the Go. They seem to think it's not valid

and want to see my DL. I usually chuckle and show the

DL last. Other places look at it and say "thank you".

Don't see a problem with it or see it as flaunting,

however that might depend on the person and their

attitude. The more they get seen, the more accepting

and less threatening they will be perceived.