Guest peacexxl

Pistol grip or standard stock  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Pistol grip or standard stock

• traditional stock
    • pistol grip
    • collapseable stock with integrated pistol grip

Guest peacexxl

I am conflicted so bring on the time honored wisdom. I can't decide if I want my HD shotgun to have a psitol grip or the standard stock. I have never owned or fired a shotgun. I do know that I am either going with a Mossy 500 or the Rem 870. I am leaning towards the 500 because I like the setup, especially the location of the safety. I have also decided that I am going with the 18.5" barrel because this will be strictly home defense. I am not a hunter and don't plan to become one and my handguns serve me well when walking around in public or traveling.

So while the other bells and whistles will be decisions I make later, the may sticking point for me is going to be pistol grip vs traditional stock.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up with an old coach gun. I learned to shoot on it. It was a family member for as long as I can remember. As a kid, when my mother brought it out, I knew things were bad. As I got older and bigger than her, I knew when she told me to get it, I knew things were bad. It was the go to HD firearm for 30 years or more in our family. I still have it in my closet now.

However, now, my go to HD shotgun is a Pardner Protector. The Hawk/Norinco clone of the 870. It holds more rounds and is easer to reload. I thought about making all tacticool, with a pistol grip, adjustable stock, heat shield and the whole like, but in the end decided not too. It is just a cheap beater gun. The main reason I chose not to change the stock/grip was because the grip feels more natural to me. Growing up with the old SxS coach gun, and knowing it intimately in a time of stress, I don't want to change that feel from the pump I have now.

That is what you have to answer. You know you prefer the safety on the Mossberg 500, many do, with it right there on the top of the grip. So that answers part of your question. The other part is, do you shoot more naturally with a standard stock or with a pistol grip?

IMO that is the most important part. Shooting it at the range, knowing how it functions, that is integral, but being comfortable with it and knowing how to work all the controls like instinct, especially when something goes bump in the night. Without that, any firearm is worthless.

Honestly, if worse came to worse, I have a feeling I might go to the old coach gun over the pump, just for that comfort of familiarity. I just hate the thought of being limited to two rounds, as opposed to five.

Guest BRad704

I think the decision should be between collapsible and full original... Or if you get the 870, you can use a police stock-set for a bit smaller overall gun. I keep the 18.5" 870 12ga ready and it is still in full original walnut stock, just the way I like it. :P

My brother has the 870 20ga with a PG only, and its hard to aim as well, and after a couple of rounds, you are pretty much done with it for the day. :)

I'm no expert but I've fired a few shotguns and all I can say is that IMHO the only choice is what kind of stock to have. Contrary to movies and TV, it is actually possible to miss your target with a shotgun and the only way to have reasonable follow up shots is with a stock of some kind. I like my Knoxx recoil reducing stock but most of the guys who are far better with a shotgun than I am just use traditional stocks. I think its a personal preference so I'd say just find a stock that's comfortable to you and you should be fine.

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Admin Team

As you stated that you've not fired a shotgun, I would definitely recommend firing one with a both grip styles before you consider buying one. For me personally, I would choose just about any other weapon available over a pistol grip shotgun. With typical SD loads, it is going to be way too punishing to fire for anything but effect at more than a yard or so. With a shoulder stock, it's still quite possible to miss, but much easier to get on target and control. I'd be much more comfortable with an 870 or 500 in a traditional setup.

In my opinion, there's really only one environment when a pistol grip shotgun is warranted, and that's inside a sailboat or someplace where space is cramped and contact is likely to be at very close range.

The Knoxx pistol grip reduces the felt recoil 40% and is obvious while shooting. The Knoxx tactical stock claims to reduce the felt recoil by 80%. I am waiting for my latest addition to my HD collection which will have one along with being able to shoot 3.5 shells or slugs. I shoot from the hip or side if you want to get technical about it because home defense is in a distance of less than 40 ft and I practice shooting that distance. With a laser and light attached to the gun you do not need to find a flashlight and with a pressure switch you can have momentary light to evaluate the situation without becoming a fixed target. A light with a strobe will be an added advantage as it will temporarily disorient the intruder. Shooting from the side keeps the weapon close and tight to your side and makes it easier to maneuver through rooms without someone being able to disarm you. That is also the reason to use a 18.5 barrel and pistol grip to make the weapon the shortest possible. You actually have better overall control of your weapon at your side than at your shoulder.

I have only been practicing using a shoot gun this way for 40+ years. For home defense I would recommend 3 inch #4 shot rather than 00 or slugs.

I vote for a stock with pistol grip of some kind. I have a pistol grip and do not like it. I tried it with bird shot and did not want to even think about shooting buckshot. I took it off and went with a stock/grip combination. I would take a conventional stock before a pistol grip but really like the stock/grip combination.

• Moderators

My HD setup is an 8 shot Mossberg 500 w/ the 18.5" bbl and a Knoxx recoil reducing stock. The M4 style of the Knoxx stock feels more natural to me than a standard shotgun stock and has the advantages of an adjustable LOP so the wife is able to shoulder it comfortably as well as noticeably reduced recoil. Since you are in Memphis, I would be happy to let you put some rounds through it @ RUSA. I actually have a OEM traditional stock and pistol grip that came with it to compare all 3 setups on the same gun.

Personal note here: the pistol grip only SUCKS!

If you're going with the mossberg you shouldn't run a pistol grip. You won't be able to manipulate the safety while maintaining a grip.

I voted a regular stock. Keep it simple. Aftermarket accessories rarely add functional value to shotguns.

mossberg safety is difficult to deal with when you have a pistol grip. You have to reach over the stock to reach the safety. Remingtons are behind the trigger. Much easier to reach when you have a pistol grip.

When it comes to shotguns, i like traditional stocks.

I'd have to go with a traditional stock. Tried the pistol grip only thing, just to see what all the hoopla was about. Evidently the hoopla was about missing a lot, and having a sore wrist. 00 Buck is not kind in that configuration, slugs are worse. I had a Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip for a while. It just didn't feel comfortable. The previous posters are correct about safety manipulation being difficult, as well. I now have a good old Remington 870, with a conventional wooden stockset.

TK47

Guest bubruins

In my experience, it is much more difficult to activate the bolt/breach release on a pump action shotgun when a pistol grip is in place. With a traditional stock in place I am able to use my middle finger on my right hand to trigger the release all while my index finger is over the actual trigger. This would be important if you needed to chamber a round while maintaining a good position on the gun or if the shotgun for some reason malfunctioned and you needed to cycle the action.

I am much more comfortable with the traditional stocks for this reason. Now if Knoxx would just make a recoil-reduced traditional stock with no pistol grip...

I tried the pistol grip deal......just didn't have good control and the wife refused to shoot it. Sooooo, to keep it as compact as I could, I put a Houge youth stock on my Mossy 500 (18.5in) . Works awsome, my wife can shoot it and it's still really compact!!! Matter of fact, it's the pretty darn close to the lenght of my AK tip to tip as seen in the pic........

Yes my photo skills suck.....

rifle001-1.jpg

Edited by kwe45919
Guest smileyguy

I like the pistol grip/adjustable stock. I shoot "assault" style rifles, and I like the feel of a pistol grip. I even have the vertical grip forend on mine. It gives a nice firm purchase. You're hands will not slip when pumping fast even if wet. Also, the adjustable stock can fit different shooters and situations.

Traditional stocks are fine too. They are simple and sturdy. No moving parts. Consistent LOP.

I'd stay away from the pistol grip only. As others have said, you must aim. Shooting from the hip is movie garbage. It is possible to hold the gun in front of your face and aim. It is actually MUCH more comfortable than shooting from the hip. I'm pretty good at it, but I'm a big dude and have been shooting 12 gauge since I was 8 years old. I wouldn't recommend that for a novice, a really small man, or small woman. They may end up with a black eye or a busted nose.

I taught my Granddaughter to aim with her body and shoot from the hip/ side. My 76 year old cousin who weighs under 100 pounds and close to 5 ft shoots by aiming with her body by holding the shotgun tight to her side.

It is not movie garbage as it can be practiced and shots can be placed effectively in close quarters such as in a house where a large room is 15 by something and a long hall is 30 or 40 ft. Yes I have a shot gun dedicated for home defense and others for shoulder fire with stocks for outside work.

I love my Mossberg 500 Persuader with its 18.5 inch barrel and original stock. I had intended to trick it out one day but never did. 11 years later and I still love it as is. When I bought it they were only $180 at Wally World. It's been my Home Defense/Boy Intimidation gun since I found out I was having a daughter. I wouldn't mind an AR style telescoping stock but I think anything with a pistol grip on a 500 would make the safety very awkward. I wouldn't mind some kind of flashlight fore grip but like I said I love it as is.

-southernasylum

I tried the pistol grip deal......just didn't have good control and the wife refused to shoot it. Sooooo, to keep it as compact as I could, I put a Houge youth stock on my Mossy 500 (18.5in) . Works awsome, my wife can shoot it and it's still really compact!!! Matter of fact, it's the pretty darn close to the lenght of my AK tip to tip as seen in the pic........

Yes my photo skills suck.....

rifle001-1.jpg

Nice, what kind of set-up, do you have on your "AK" ?
Guest Billetproof

For home defense with a traditional stock, a youth stock is the way to go. That is why I like the collapsible because you can change the LOP to what you like. Just MHO.

Picture136.jpg

Guest smileyguy
I taught my Granddaughter to aim with her body and shoot from the hip/ side. My 76 year old cousin who weighs under 100 pounds and close to 5 ft shoots by aiming with her body by holding the shotgun tight to her side.

It is not movie garbage as it can be practiced and shots can be placed effectively in close quarters such as in a house where a large room is 15 by something and a long hall is 30 or 40 ft. Yes I have a shot gun dedicated for home defense and others for shoulder fire with stocks for outside work.

I think you missunderstood me. I did not imply that a smaller person could not or should not shoot a pistol grip shotgun from the hip. I said that maybe they shouldn't hold it in front of their face to aim it the way I would use a pistol grip shotgun. Such as this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bCWcumvKA8

This is the reason I suggested a smaller person may not shoot that way - http://www.break.com/index/shotgun-recoil-knocks-out-teeth1.html

Shooting from the hip is not that difficult. I have taught my girlfriend how to do it, and she too can hit a target. That said, in a defensive situation, I still believe it is best to aim at the target. I can shoot from the hip and hit a silhouette with a rifle at room distance, but that doesn't make it right.

Edited by smileyguy
Added video