Needing some feedback

Guest Jvanhoosen

Guest Jvanhoosen

First of all I am new to the website. It sounds like there is a good bunch of knowledge here. Now for my question.

I am a small framed man 5'10 and 130. I am looking for a cc gun that wont look like I have a 12 gauge sitting in my waistband. I have been looking at the Walther PK 380 and reading the reviews. I have not fired one as of yet but wanted to get some feedback on stopping power, compared to something say like the 9mm. I am looking for something that I know is reliable and has a good track record. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glock 19......it's almost perfect for size, capacity, RELIABILITY, and they are affordable too. Steer clear of the Walther. Much better choices out there.

You could check out the S&W M&P compact as well. Or you can't go wrong with the Springfield XD line either.

Guest Straight Shooter

Id also steer way clear of a .380 altogether. A compact Glock in .40-.45 or even 10mm is the word.

Youd be surprised how easily even a full sized Glock in 9mm or .40 is concealed.

First rule of a gunfight.....have a gun.

Second rule.......bring ENOUGH gun.

Just my .02 cents.

Guest Bronker
Glock 19......it's almost perfect for size, capacity, RELIABILITY, and they are affordable too. Steer clear of the Walther. Much better choices out there.

You could check out the S&W M&P compact as well. Or you can't go wrong with the Springfield XD line either.

This. Love the G19. Bought a G21 today, but it's a large frame gun. But then again, I am 6'6" and 350!

I agree with Erik but will add that if the money is available you might consider the Kimber line. I like the Crimson Ultra carry II and fell in love with the RCP. The ones with 4 inch barrels are not bad either. If Erik is comfortable carrying one it would probably fit you as I really think he is smaller than you describe your self.

Personally, I like .380 because of the size of gun that it allows to be carried (very small). which is important to me, because I am more likely to carry it. though I cannot say that about pk380, if that size is ok for you there are other guns that can carry more stopping power. my personal fav 380 at the moment in time is the sig p238. even though it looks huge, i keep hearing that the 1911 platform is very easy to conceal in the right format...

An XD40sc or G27 may offer what you want in a carry gun. Both also have similar size models in 9mm. A Kimber Ultra CDP II is a nice size if you want a .45. I do not want to trust the .380 to provide adequate protection, but it's better than being unarmed.

A small frame revolver in a pocket holster is easy and comfortable. A S&W 642 or 442 in .38 special. The biggest con is you only get 5 shots.

But if you want a semi-auto a S&W M&P compact is a nice gun in a 40 or a 9mm. This way you get 12 + 1 shots.

There are a number of small, lightweight 9mm pistols available. I have a Keltec PF9 that has been very reliable. I've also heard good things about the Kahr, but for a rather higher price.

For a used pistol, you might look for a Star BM or BKS. These are very slim, single-action pistols that conceal well. The BM is all-steel, while the BKS has an aluminum-alloy frame. S&W had some versions of the model 39 that were cut-down and double-action only. The S&W 36 is the classic small carry pistol if you prefer revolvers.

I'm gonna toss in my vote with Desert Rat and say check out a Kimber. Just my opinion, but stay away from the 3 inch 1911s. A Kimber Pro Carry is a great carry gun though. I'm going to buy the clip draw for mine here shortly and with the slender frame, it'll disappear under a loose shirt IWB. I'm 6'4 and pretty thin framed so I understand the concealment problems.

I prefer the longer barrels but the 3 inch fit nicely in my pocket. Compared to an LCP or P238 they only have a bit larger footprint. You are able to throw a bigger rock than .380. I agree the 4 inch are definitely better and the 5 inch better than that for shooting but a tad bit obvious without a proper shoulder holster.

I know someone will admit they are able to conceal a full sized 1911. It just does not fit my clothing style. Maybe I will try this fall and winter with a loose jacket.

I prefer the longer barrels but the 3 inch fit nicely in my pocket. Compared to an LCP or P238 they only have a bit larger footprint. You are able to throw a bigger rock than .380. I agree the 4 inch are definitely better and the 5 inch better than that for shooting but a tad bit obvious without a proper shoulder holster.

I know someone will admit they are able to conceal a full sized 1911. It just does not fit my clothing style. Maybe I will try this fall and winter with a loose jacket.

IWB you can carry a 5,4, or 3 inch 1911 all the same. OWB is a little different, but I conceal a 4 and 5 inch 1911 in a Galco Side Snap Scabbard frequently with just a loose shirt. Disappears great if you do what I call the "Bruce Willis" look. Adjust dirtiness as needed.

live_free_or_die_hard.jpg

I love an overshirt for shoulder or OWB carry.

I currently have a Walther PK380 here I'm making a holster for. I wouldn't suggest it. It is very big and bulky for what it is. If you want a 380 for ccw, I'd suggest a Rohrbaugh, Seecamp, Ruger LCP, or a KelTec P3AT. The second two are actually affordable.

My top pick is Glock 19, second is Glock 26, 3rd is Ruger SR9C and 4th on is S&W M&P, Springfield XDs. Snub nose revolvers take practice, a lot of it. I have had many, I have three right now. Stay with S&W in the light snub nose revolvers. The KelTec PF9 can work if you practice with it. I call it The Little Dragon." I've had two of them. If you get a Keltec try and get one that has a hardchrome slide. Stick with 9mm. Good 9mm self defense ammo abounds, as does comparatively inexpensive 9mm training ammo.

The only factory ammo that is cheaper than 9mm is .22LR. Practice a lot.

I have had many handguns, shot many more, as others have or had on this forum. I trust Glock 9mm above all others.

I drank the Kool-Aid, and I liked it.

I am gonna suggest a Glock 19 or a 26. The 26 might conceal better for you.

They are compact, easy to use, reliable and carry a decent amount of ammunition. Plus they are lighter than a full steel pistol.

My suggestion comes from owning one and liking the Kool-Aid.

You can also look at XDs in similar size or M&Ps in similar size. I have no opinion on the M&Ps; as I have never handled one; but I didn't care for the grip angle of the XD. Yes, I am different. I actually like the grip angle of a Glock.

There are multitudes of choices, from Kel-Tecs to Kahrs, Kimbers to HKs, and Rugers and Smiths. The choice will be yours.

You didn't ask about revolvers, but a LCR might be a good option too, they are small, easy to conceal and light, the benefit is offset by the capacity though, as you are limited to five rounds of .38SPL or .357 Magnum depending on the model.

While I think .380 is better than nothing, with today's gun technology, I don't think there is an excuse not to have at least a 9mm. Plus it is a lot easier to find and cheaper.

You are getting some great advice. These guys know their guns. A Glock 19 is the gold standard of conceal carry guns. My daughter is 5'3" and 115lbs. Her favorite pistol to shoot is my Springfield XD-45, a .45 caliber. She's a pretty darned good shot with it. If you have the money I would go with a Glock, Springfield, Smith and Wesson, Sig, or H&K. I would stay away from a .380 all together. The ammo is harder to find, it's expensive and the 380 doesn't have the stopping power. You can try different pistols and different calibers to see what you like.

Don't thumb your nose at revolvers either, they have their place in self defense pistols. Until you decide on what you are going to carry, get a Glock 19. I will retain it's value well if you decide to sell it in the future. My carry guns are:

Glock 19 9mm

Glock 36 45acp

Smith and Wesson Chief's Special 38special

Springfield XDm-40 40s&w

Colt 1911 45acp

XD-45 45acp

Diamondback DB380, .380 (I know I said not to buy a 380, but this one is a back up pistol and for deep concealment.)

Edited by Will Carry
Guest Glock23ForMe

Hola!

I can vouch for the Glock 23. Honestly, It is very easy to conceal, very very reliable and just a fun gun to shoot.

All the advice above is good as long as it has "Get a Glock" in it. :)

Seriously, though, these guys know what they're talking about. Go somewhere and rent a gun, shoot different types, and just see what you like. You might find that something fits in your had and feels better than you thought you would. Aesthetically, if it is a CC, it is a moot point, cause, hopefully, no one will ever have to see it. Unless it's you.

Guest Jvanhoosen
5'10" 130 lbs.......Man, I feel fat now.......

PK380 is an awesome handgun you wont be upset with purchasing

Not a bad thing just a high metabolism. I did however go and get my hands on a PK 380 and I know that they say that a handgun should feel like an extension of your arm and hand, and compared to some of the others that I picked up and held it was the most comfortable and felt like an extension of myself.

Guest Jvanhoosen

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. I am glad I ran across this site while looking at the reviews of the PK 380. No offense to the glock guys and gals but with my frame and hand size the walther just felt right and comfortable, I will look at the other options such as the PPS. I work in the OR at a major hospital in Nashville and have seen guys come in with 8, 45 cal slugs and missed every major organ they had. Guess some guys have no idea of what gun control is.