Your Main EDC Firearm -- Range Time?

xRUSTYx

The firearm you carry every day .... Once Broken In (Assuming you have fired it enough to carry it comfortably) How often do you take it to the range?

Couple Questions Here:

1. How Often do you take it to the range to fire? When you do give it some range time, how many rounds?

2. Assuming loaded mags, how often do you find you need to change the mag spring?

I'm thinking putting 50 or so rounds through my EDC once a month, clean & lube, and that should do it.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The firearm you carry every day .... Once Broken In (Assuming you have fired it enough to carry it comfortably) How often do you take it to the range?

Couple Questions Here:

1. How Often do you take it to the range to fire? When you do give it some range time, how many rounds?

2. Assuming loaded mags, how often do you find you need to change the mag spring?

I'm thinking putting 50 or so rounds through my EDC once a month, clean & lube, and that should do it.

Since I've carried my Kimber I've put around 2500-3000 rounds through it. I have about 6 mags, never have changed the spring. Unless you just shoot ALOT it's not something you need to worry about for awhile.

I try to go to the range at least once a month and fire 100 rounds. I used to go alot more. I still do holster and dry fire drills at the house though when I'm not actively shooting. If all you can do is once a month and 50 rounds then go for it, but make sure you get the most out it. Proper sight alignment, trigger control, breathing, etc. Do different drills if you can. Don't just stand there and put 50 rounds in the paper and leave. That's fine sometimes, but if you're carrying you need to be training for that, as well as having fun.

I have taken alot of classes in the past 5 years, worked with different instructors, and I always try to incorporate that into my range sessions. You could also look into IDPA.

I carry an XD9sc everywhere I can. If I can get up to Norris early and get the pistol range alone I work on some drills. I don’t do anything wild since I am alone sometimes but I will do multiple target drills and things like that. If I’m in doors I at least make sure I fire a third of my rounds one hand both sides. Range sessions I fire at least (indoors 100, outdoors 150-200) rounds. If I don’t shoot IDPA at Tac2 (just started in August) I’ll go to the range twice a month if possible. I see the IDPA as a much more varied practice session and it is enjoyable. It will also show you just how bad you can be under even a little pressure:blush:.

Joe W

I take mine to the range every time I go (which has been quite infrequent lately ;) ). I'll typically fire 20-100 rounds with it, depending on what I'm working on. Since my 9mm is a little cheaper to shoot, it tends to get the bulk of the work. I also practice drawing and dry firing at home occasionally.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I carry either the Ruger SR9 (2500-3000 rounds) or the SR9c (1500-2000 rounds) I fire 4-5 hundred before I will carry anything BUGS included.

When I first joined the range near a year ago I was going 2-3 times a week and shooting 1 or 2 hundred rounds each time, then it slowed to about twice a month but a few more rounds each time, and then it became once a month, but the past few months I have only been once. I have had a lot of family stuff going on and just have not had the chance on the days I feel up to it. I KNOW I need to get my butt up there more often and really need a scheduled time as the place is only 3/10 mile from the house.

I am limited there as to what I can do as it is an indoor range, but I do practice dry fire and drawing at the house pretty regular.

When I was going once or twice a month I would shoot anywhere from 200-500 rounds but that is from several guns and calibers, Since I put aside a few bucks a month for ammo and have not been very much lately I do have a pretty good stash of range ammo that needs to be shot. I do feel bad about not going very often lately but the "Wife and Life" have gotten in the way.

I do intend on getting back on some sort of regular schedule real soon.

I feel we all should do as much as we can even if it is just a little and in my own case I have not been doing that, which is really my own fault for not "making" the time for something I feel is VERY important.

...I'm thinking putting 50 or so rounds through my EDC once a month, clean & lube, and that should do it.

xRustyx: In general I agree with this idea - once you are comfortable with the functioning and reliability of your carry gun, 50 rounds once a month should be enough to keep up your basic shooting skills. Just remember to mix up the drills a bit rather than just standing there shooting 50 rounds two-handed using the sights. Shoot a mag 1-handed with each hand, try some point-shooting without the sights, things like that.

I'd love to get into a once-a-month routine, but I have had a hard time recently finding the time to go, so when I do get out I shoot more like 150 - 200 rounds total, split between whichever two guns I take with me that day.

I've never had to replace a magazine spring yet but I most of my autos are relatively new (was a revolver-only guy for many years).

Range time? Whenever I want to step out the back door :2cents:, that said (yes I'm blessed) bout every other day at least 50rd. through the P22, spend more time on drills, at least once a week, my EDC... G26 and 442 once a week 20rd. through 442, and 100 rd. through the G26. Twice a month 50rd. through the 1911, and 50rd. through the SD40 at dusk, ...drills with my light and laser. The "Wilson" drill is the standard I measure myself by, 4.3sec. is the best I can do nowdays :shake: , ... 2.7sec. best I ever did, THAT was 20 yr. ago.:tinfoil:

Here lately Ive been going about twice a month I shoot about 100 rounds in my MKIII then another 50-100 in my XD .I don't have the option of carrying my guns with me on the job so my dry fire practice is slim to none I find shooting with my.22 first helps with my control plus bad shots don't feel like as big of a waste of money . My accuracy has come along great using this method for practice .

• 3 weeks later...

I try to get to the range 2-3 times a month & usually go through 50-100 rounds with my Cougar 8045F & about 100-150 rounds with my SR9. I love my SR9 for carry because the magazine holds a bucket of ammo, but I still keep going back to the Beretta Cougar. The SR9 usually goes in a shoulder holster for concealment & when I carry the Cougar, it goes on a regular hip holster.

I strip the pistols down and fully clean & oil them after every range visit & after thousands of rounds I've never had to change a spring. In fact, most gun companies will tell you that most good factory mags NEVER have to have a spring replacement because of the high quality steel used. Of course there may be some exeptions, but I've heard of people leaving ammo in magazines for years at a time and never lose tension. The ones you usually hear of having spring problems is on some of the cheaper aftermarket mags and some very old surplus mags.

Guest Halfpint

1-2 times a month, though I'd like it to be more. 100+ rounds each session, going from basic target practice to slightly complicated drills. I try to do multiple target drills, but I don't always get the opportunity. Weapon gets cleaned immediately following every range session, and checked at least once a week. I have like 8 mags, so I rotate between 2-3 of them every session. I do change the mag springs every year, even if it's not necessary it's cheap insurance.

Once a month. 100 rounds. But like DaddyO says. I practice in the back yard with it unloaded all the time and in the house when my wife's not home. Right now my EDC is a Glock 19 gen 4 but I also carry a Glock 36 or a Smith model 36. My back up gun is a DB380.

Guest The Highlander

I have always shot many more .22 lr's than anything, and still do. Every range trip will have at least one .22 handgun in the bag, and I typically fire maybe 200 rounds through it. My EDC guns rotate between one of several Glocks. The manual of arms is the same, as is the basic feel, so it doesn't make that much difference which goes to the range. Also in the rotation is an SR9 which is honestly probably my favorite carry gun period. Different Manual of Arms, with an ambi safety and ambi mag release though. And my most recent addition is a SIG P220. Again, different than the others, but at least it is also DAO! I also carry one of several revolvers, which obviously have very similar methods of operation.

My range trips may be handguns, in which case the .22's do most of the work, with the carry guns getting maybe 100 rounds. I also shoot rifles, and many range trips that will be all I take, with a .22 handgun thrown in for fun when I let the rifle barrels cool. Even on rifle days, the .22 plinkers and benchrest rifles see 90-95% of the round count.

I LOVE .22's, and shot them when I was young mainly because that was all I could afford. I can afford to shoot the centerfires now, but I still spend the vast majority of time with a .22 in my hand. They are much more fun for me, and the requirements for trigger control, sight alignment, breathing, etc are all the same.

Incidentally, I have .22 kits for Glocks, 1911's, and I'm checking into one for my SIG. If you have good substitute .22's for your carry guns, it is a less expensive way to get quality practice. I also am an incessant dry-firing fool. My favorite targets are TV news talking heads. Kind of annoys my wife sometimes though!

As for mag spring changes, I don't recall ever changing one. And I have at least three mags for one gun that are over 25 years old. But that is a PLINKER, not a carry gun. My Glocks have several mags each, and I rotate them, but in 15 years of shooting Glocks, I've never had a failure of any kind, in any of them. I really should change out the springs on the two I shoot/carry most often though.

Guest The Highlander

I forgot to add that I try to get to the range at least once every 7-10 days depending on my work schedule. I shoot from 100 rounds on benchrest days, to maybe 400 rounds on handgun carry days. With the handguns, anywhere from 20-100 will be carry or BUG gun with the remainder .22's.