Had to raise my weapon the other night. Story and lessons to follow.

Guest aaron_wil

Guest aaron_wil

I share this story so that others can benefit. I thought on it for a few days whether I should post it or not, but I think hearing it could make some people think twice on their planned actions. I always wondered how I would handle a situation like this. I found out, and learned a few valuable lessons in the meantime.

The other night, I was home alone (my wife was out and wouldn't be home for quite a while). I was on my computer when I suddenly heard loud banging at the door. This is extremely out of the norm, given my location. My dog then began to go nuts and headed straight to the door. I immediately grabbed my pistol (I always have one near me) and headed for my hallway, turning off all the lights I could on the way. I stayed in partial cover, positioning myself so that I could see the door. The banging continued.

I then screamed "Who is it?" with no reply, just more banging. Then, my door swung open and a figure ran into my house. When I saw the door open, I raised my weapon but when I saw the figure (short stature, with polka-dot clothing) I hesitated. I then noticed that it was a young girl (never saw her before). I lowered my weapon then.

She was out of breathe and looked to be scared to death. I shut and locked the door and asked who she was, she couldn't answer because she was so out of breathe. I asked her if she was ----'s kid, she nodded so brought her in the living room. As I followed her, I found myself looking for cuts, bruises, blood, etc. I noticed none. She sat down and I asked her if anyone was hurt, what was going on, questions of that type. After a few seconds she was able to spit out a few words, then there was regular knocking at my door again.

I went to the door, it was my neighbor. He asked if I had seen his daughter, I explained that she was in the living room and seemed very scared. He had his other son with him, so my concern if he was beating his daughter was lessened. I let him in my house to get his daughter and as he did, I asked the son (who I have spoken to on many occasions) what exactly was going on? He told me that she got in trouble at school and was running from a spanking.

Long story short, father and daughter came back and the daughter appologized for distrupting my evening. I explained to her that she can always run here for help, but not in cases where she is in trouble like that.

The evening ended with me replaying the scenario over and over in my head, and I learned a few lessons:

1. Keeping a firearm near me at all times is absolutely the right thing to do. Quick response is advantageous.

1. I used to think I was being a bit paranoid keeping one on or near me at all times, even when at home.
    2. I used to always think I would go for a shotgun, which is in an unlocked cabinet, but that never even crossed my mind.

[*]Things are not always as they seem / Fully understand the situation before acting.

1. If I had not given myself the split second to assess the situation, things could have turned out horribly different. I will remember that for the rest of my life

[*]When in an emergency (or the perception of one) your body and mind acts on instinct.

1. I have thought and planned for situations like this. Turning off the lights and taking cover where I did was never planned or thought of. I just did it.
  2. I also noted that where I took partial cover was a better location that what I had planned.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering if she kicked in the door or what but it seems from the other responses that it was unlocked.

I would like to hope that I'm not the trigger happy type but wow!! if a shadowy figure ran into my house after beating on the door I think said person would likely have been filled full of lead. I'm glad you have more self restraint though because that would have been very sad in this situation.

"Things are not always as they seem / Fully understand the situation before acting."

You are right about this!

I drop my wife of at her employer as I go to my place of employment. One morning, she went to get into the van and as she did so she opened the garage door (I was unaware that she left the house.) As I went into the garage, I realized that the door was open (became alert). As I opened the van door, I saw someone in the van. I immedately reached for my Glock (.45), however, before clearing leather I realized who it was. I did not need any coffee the rest of the day!!!

I would also go back and explain to the neighbor parent how close his daughter almost became dead. Glad you didn't shoot her, but this could have EASILY had a different outcome. Oh, and lock the door. B)

• Moderators
I would also go back and explain to the neighbor parent how close his daughter almost became dead. Glad you didn't shoot her, but this could have EASILY had a different outcome. Oh, and lock the door. :hiding:
Other than the obvious door locking I can;t really fault you man. You did good. Most importantly in this situation you identified your target!

I think these two posts kinda sum up the thread, eh?

Guest The Highlander

Glad everyone is ok, and thank you for posting. It is an eye-opening experience to say the least.

As for the shotgun, we also have long-guns handy, but when I had a "bump in the night" experience this summer, I curled a trusted old friend (Glock 17) into my right fist, and a Surefire LED Defender into my left before I was fully even out of bed. Incidentally, my "bump" was a wild-critter, which in my neighborhood is what I expected. We went our separate ways without bloodshed. I don't think he was much more than annoyed...I was adrenalinized enough to not get back to sleep! Stupid, stupid racoon!

Again, thank you for posting your story.

Thanks for sharing. You can never be ready for all possible situations, but you've given me one more to consider. I guess I'm the opposite of a lot of people here. When something odd happens at my house, I'm more curious than alarmed. That might get me hurt one day.

Thanks for sharing. You can never be ready for all possible situations, but you've given me one more to consider. I guess I'm the opposite of a lot of people here. When something odd happens at my house, I'm more curious than alarmed. That might get me hurt one day.

You know what they say...

974d2c7662363212f35786785c2aeb4e.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Other than the obvious door locking I can;t really fault you man. You did good. Most importantly in this situation you identified your target!

At least it shows you were not over trigger happy just looking to pull the trigger on the first uninvited guest in your home.

My doors are ALWAYS locked. If somebody comes thru one, I will consider them hostile. This story is downright scary.

Same.

Also,

The day I started keeping a loaded gun at home I setup a Code word with my wife. In general we know when to expect each other. But just in case one of us where to come in unexpectedly we setup a code word we could yell out, that would indicate all is well which would also identify us, even in the event it if dark. Any other word indicates something is wrong.

The word we picked turned out to be a joke I started years ago, as my used to yell though the house asking me a question which I could never hear the entire question I would just tell back this word. It has now become our CODE WORD.