The Walking Dead.

Guest Lester Weevils
It kind of lost me. I can suspend disbelief for a bit but where are the zombies getting the energy to crawl around for a week or two (or even longer). When he went back and blew away that zombie in the park it was kind of done for me.

Zombies must have a special exception from the laws of thermodynamics. They enjoy this advantage in all the zombie shows AFAIK. Or maybe their metabolism utilizes Maxwell's Demons.

• Moderators
you have to suspend disbelief with a zombie? it's the undead. if you can believe that then what is the problem?
Have you ever been to the fair city I call home? You don't have to suspend disbelief, zombies are real, I interact with them every day.
I just hope they keep going, cause if they stay close to the graphic novel, NO ONE is Safe. No one. Which BTW is one of the best graphic novels written, I Highly suggest getting them and reading them.

+100

I thought the art was better in the first, but the story was so well written that it made me easy to adapt to the new artist. Best character development I have ever seen in a graphic novel.

My take is probably 2 - 3 weeks from getting shot to waking up in the hospital. After getting shot he gets rushed to the hospital, gets fixed up, he's kept in an induced coma while he heals. First week everything is fine but at the end of the week some odd illnesses start coming in. Second week it's starting to look like an epidemic. Doctors/nurses are still taking care of him but are getting a little frazzled with the epidemic and the realization that some of the dead people aren't staying that way. End of the week the military and CDC are there, the **** is hitting the fan, and our hero isn't getting the meds that keep him in a coma anymore. Dumb luck, hospital staff locking most of the zombies behind the door that says "Don't open, Dead inside", and maybe the gurney in front of his room door is keeping the zombies out and him safe while the meds wear off. He's also quiet/unconscious at this time so he's not attracting zombies. Beginning of the third week is when I see him waking up.

Edited by GT_Rat
It kind of lost me. I can suspend disbelief for a bit but where are the zombies getting the energy to crawl around for a week or two (or even longer). When he went back and blew away that zombie in the park it was kind of done for me.

Well, the z's had been eating and not just people. In Atlanta, they attacked and ate the horse. Additionally, other than birds (crows, mostly) that could fly away, I don't recall having seen a single dog, cat or other kind of pet either in the city where the protagonist and his family had lived or even in Atlanta. Being that strays would be everywhere unless something had 'happened' to them, my guess is that their former owners or someone else had had them for a snack. In the location where the horse was originally found, there was no indication that any actual zombies had been there (it looked like the occupants of the house had killed themselves before they could become zombies.) My thought was that the z's bodies can somehow still metabolize the flesh they eat for energy - as well as to stop (or at least slow) the decay process. Also I noticed that some of the z's (the one outside the house that the protagonist beat down with a baseball bat, the two in the burned out bus and the one in the tank) seemed to sometimes just sit down and go to sleep or into some sort of suspended animation.

Further, the z in the park was obviously weaker when he went back to 'put her out of her misery'. She was either starving, decaying to the point that she couldn't move very well or both. Or maybe the virus had simply just about run its course. Remember, it is this virus that seems to be keeping them going. Maybe it is also supplying the energy they need to help it spread. That plus the fact that even a living human with more metabolic needs than a z can survive for weeks without food made that not a big issue, for me. Well, that and the fact that (as someone mentioned) I was already accepting zombies as 'real'.

My problem with the z in the park was that she didn't look at all freshly dead like every other z in the show. In fact, she was not just decayed but also dessicated like a corpse that has been dead for years. There was no indication that the virus returned those who were already dead to life. For those reasons, the leathery skin and near 'mummification' of her corpse made no sense unless she was some kind of 'patient zero' and had been locked away somewhere, as a zombie, for years (maybe in the aforementioned sleep/suspended animation state) until someone let her out.

Edited by JAB
only if it went in his mouth.

Thats what she said.

In all seriousness though, I really liked it. It's the first Zombie tale to really show alot of the emotion and desperation. It really does remind me alot of The Road. I like the main guy quite a bit. Something about that scene in the park that just really made me like him as the hero. He's not some walking badass like you usually see.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Tommorrow night people. Can't wait. It's sad that this is one of the only things that get me through the week. There's alot of stuff to nitpick but what's cool about this show is that it's a TV series. Hella lot better than some whacked out vampire gay show. No offense to the gay gunners either. Lol cheers;)

Yeah that did not add much to the plot. I think it is interesting that the show the z's using tools and being able to do limited problem solving. I did not read the graphic novels the show is based on, but have never thought they could use tools and problem solve

Isn't he using a Taurus 608? And don't those have an eight shot cylinder? That's what was going thorugh my head. Then again, I couldn't really see very well since my Weimariner decided to start going bonkers while trying to watch so it could have been a S&W. I'll have to check it out again on DVR.

I believe it was a colt python.

I had to rewind and watch the safety click deal a few times. He racks then pushes on the slide lock. I guess the foley guys thought that would work for a click noise. His saving grace was that he turned into a zombie shortly after that moment of idiocy.

I liked the pilot but of course any show will have inconsistencies.

One thing that seemed inconsistent-- Perhaps it is not inconsistent, dunno-- When the hero fires his revolver inside the tank, the loud sound seems to stun him and disorient him for a moment. Which is understandable. I've occasionally forgotten to put on muffs before firing at an open range, and it hurts.

But firing under the tank ought to be about as loud as firing inside the tank? Why didn't the sound stun him under the tank?

I doubt it would be near as loud with the airways and bodies to vent and absorb the shots. Inside would be much worse.

I thought the stun was shot pretty well. I've heard a shot indoors with no ear pro before and it was very disorienting. The experience I had was pretty much verbatim what was depicted.

Mike

Edited by Mike
  • Administrator
Last night's episode was a little disappointing. It was still good, but it didn't live up to what I was expecting after the first episode.

I wonder where it will go from here, and I hope it gets better once they get out of the city.

I agree. There were too many acts of stupidity committed in the show last night that distracted me and kept me from disengaging my brain and just enjoying it.

Just watched it and I agree I was a little bleh on this episode. I understand that you have progression through a series and after the initial Intro episode you're going to have character build up so I'm giving it a bit to really get going.

As far as Shane and Rick's wife hooking up I don't really look at it like a soap opera drama, it's just one of those things that add to the realism. Whether her and Shane were together before or whether they are just together now because they think Rick is dead will be what adds to it. I know alot of people are like "eww sex and character development. JUST KILL ZOMBIES!", but this show was never just about that and from what I've been told, neither were the graphic novels. It's more about humans coping afterward than just "YEE-HAA ZOMBIES GONNA DIE!" I'm fairly certain that anyone who didn't enjoy The Road is not going to like this either in the long run.

BTW David the Zombie sub-forum is way cool!

Guest Lester Weevils

I haven't read the source "graphic novels", but on comcast on-demand in the section for "The Walking Dead" show, there is an 8 minute feature "Motion Comic Book" which is a black'n'white animation that is probably an accurate portrayal of the beginning of the series original graphic novel plot.

That "motion comic book" is VERY close to the plot of the first parts of the first 2 hour show trailer. So if they are slavishly following the plot of the comic, then complaints about the quality of episode 2 may be complaints about the writing of the original comic.

I enjoyed episode 2 as good or better than the episode 1 pilot. Not that it is a fabulous immortal show, but seems so far more watchable than most drivel on TV.

I haven't read the source "graphic novels", but on comcast on-demand in the section for "The Walking Dead" show, there is an 8 minute feature "Motion Comic Book" which is a black'n'white animation that is probably an accurate portrayal of the beginning of the series original graphic novel plot.

That "motion comic book" is VERY close to the plot of the first parts of the first 2 hour show trailer. So if they are slavishly following the plot of the comic, then complaints about the quality of episode 2 may be complaints about the writing of the original comic.

I enjoyed episode 2 as good or better than the episode 1 pilot. Not that it is a fabulous immortal show, but seems so far more watchable than most drivel on TV.

A friend of mine that has read them said so far they are pulling most of it straight off the pages.