Ruminations on my favorite "go to" handgun. What's yours?

TGO David

• Administrator

It's going to be a long weekend full of lots of quiet time for me this weekend while I cram for an work-related certification exam that I have to take next Friday. As a result, I'm spending a lot of time reading and thinking... and not necessarily about my studies. :up:

As I was sipping on my coffee, reading one of my texts and keeping an eye on TGO periodically, my Glock 19 caught my eye. It's sitting on the table in arm's reach, as always, snugly snapped into its RCS kydex holster. I couldn't help but pick it up, pop it out of the holster, wipe off the layer of lint and crud that have gathered on it from the past week of carry, and admire the ugly simplicity of it.

That's when it struck me again, as it often does, that my Glock 19 is seriously my favorite handgun. It's my "go to" piece time after time after time. Considering that I have handguns that are more expensive, more ergonomic, more refined... why do I keep going back to this squat, square, ugly, pig-nosed piece of Austrian-American plastic?

I think it's because I trust it implicitly. I know it inside and out. I've run it hard, packed full of dirt and crud and thick nasty soot from cheap Russian ammo. I've not necessarily abused it, but I've not given it any quarter either. There have been day-long training sessions where it never saw a drop of oil added to it, has had mud caked into it, has been thrown, dropped, kicked, dragged and never complained. It's always fired when I pulled the trigger.

It's the AK-47 of the handgun world. It's the cockroach of 9mm's. It's not pretty, it's not the most accurate for shooting 1/2 inch groups, it doesn't have interchangeable back straps or lasers or stippling, but it never has let me down.

It's compact but not too small. It balances perfectly in my hand. It points naturally for me and makes me feel like a 9mm Jedi when I see the sights coming into perfect alignment every time I bring it to bear on my target. My fingers know where the trigger resets and my split times are narrow as a result. My hands know where all of the controls are and I have no problems manipulating it with both or impeded with just one. Mag changes are quick and easy and often happen without me even thinking about looking at the gun while I'm performing them.

I know this gun. I trust this gun. I don't love it; it's too ugly and cheap for that. But I do respect it. And if the day comes that it falls completely apart and can't be rebuilt... I'll buy another and treat it just as badly. :)

So, what's your favorite and why?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guy N. Cognito

For me, it's the Glock 19 as well. I've had my first one for about 6 years, and I recently picked up a Gen4 as well. My original 19 has seen about 10,000 rounds, 3 pistol classes, countless hours of range time and even more time in the holster. It's been carried just about everywhere. With it's little brother G26, I constantly have a Glock with me. Honestly, I've never had a malfunction with any of my Glocks.

If I had to sell all of my guns save one, the Glock 19 would be the one I would keep.

Although I'm back and forth on the handguns, I guess my favorite would be an old, refinished model 10 Smith and Wesson qith a 4" pencil barrel. It shoots where I point it, is smooth as silk, and just feels right in my hand. I've shot many squirrels with it. Depending on my mood, I can replace it with a variety of S&W revolvers.

I have a definite "go to" rifle, however.

As far as a "go to" gun, I would have to say my preference would be to my cheapest handgun, my Glock 34. I have a love/hate relationship with it. I hate it because it doesn't fit my hand worth a crap and it is my least accurate handgun. While I haven't had the first problem with any of my handguns, I love my 34 because I completely trust that it will go bang when I pull the trigger.

My favorite handgun just in general would be my Ruger Mark III Hunter. Why? It is just plain ol' fun to shoot.

It's going to be a long weekend full of lots of quiet time for me this weekend while I cram for an work-related certification exam that I have to take next Friday. As a result, I'm spending a lot of time reading and thinking... and not necessarily about my studies. :up:

As I was sipping on my coffee, reading one of my texts and keeping an eye on TGO periodically, my Glock 19 caught my eye. It's sitting on the table in arm's reach, as always, snugly snapped into its RCS kydex holster. I couldn't help but pick it up, pop it out of the holster, wipe off the layer of lint and crud that have gathered on it from the past week of carry, and admire the ugly simplicity of it.

That's when it struck me again, as it often does, that my Glock 19 is seriously my favorite handgun. It's my "go to" piece time after time after time. Considering that I have handguns that are more expensive, more ergonomic, more refined... why do I keep going back to this squat, square, ugly, pig-nosed piece of Austrian-American plastic?

I think it's because I trust it implicitly. I know it inside and out. I've run it hard, packed full of dirt and crud and thick nasty soot from cheap Russian ammo. I've not necessarily abused it, but I've not given it any quarter either. There have been day-long training sessions where it never saw a drop of oil added to it, has had mud caked into it, has been thrown, dropped, kicked, dragged and never complained. It's always fired when I pulled the trigger.

It's the AK-47 of the handgun world. It's the cockroach of 9mm's. It's not pretty, it's not the most accurate for shooting 1/2 inch groups, it doesn't have interchangeable back straps or lasers or stippling, but it never has let me down.

It's compact but not too small. It balances perfectly in my hand. It points naturally for me and makes me feel like a 9mm Jedi when I see the sights coming into perfect alignment every time I bring it to bear on my target. My fingers know where the trigger resets and my split times are narrow as a result. My hands know where all of the controls are and I have no problems manipulating it with both or impeded with just one. Mag changes are quick and easy and often happen without me even thinking about looking at the gun while I'm performing them.

I know this gun. I trust this gun. I don't love it; it's too ugly and cheap for that. But I do respect it. And if the day comes that it falls completely apart and can't be rebuilt... I'll buy another and treat it just as badly. :)

+1

While I have some pretty nice semi-autos; an S&W Model 686 occupies the headboard of my bed.

I do not carry it; it just stands guard in the same place all the time.

It is simplistic in its operation and its reliability is second to none. I do not own another handgun that I feel more secure with.

I'm supposed to be studying for final exams as well, and instead I'm here surfing TGO. As I read David's post I started to chuckle because my Glock 19 is riding comfortably on my hip.

I've come to love this gun for all the obvious reasons and I can't add anything that hasn't already been said about it. The Glock 19 JUST WORKS! I can't wait to add a Gen 4 19 to my collection one day.

A close 2nd for me would have to be my Ruger LCR. It's the only wheel gun I own but I just love the simplicity of it. It's light, has a wonderful trigger, and the rubber grips are a dream.

• Administrator

Sadly I think the Gen 4 Glock 19 is turning out to be Gaston's modern-day Corvair: Unsafe at any speed. Or perhaps more accurately unreliable at any speed... but that in turn equates to unsafe in my book.

I keep reading horror story after horror story of Gen 4's not feeding properly, not ejecting properly, etc. Most blame it on the retarded recoil spring assembly that Glock chose to use this time around, which I suppose is an easy fix. But my Gen 3 ran like a top right out of the box. The only modifications I've made to it were for my own purposes, not to make it any more reliable.

YMMV.

Sadly I think the Gen 4 Glock 19 is turning out to be Gaston's modern-day Corvair: Unsafe at any speed. Or perhaps more accurately unreliable at any speed... but that in turn equates to unsafe in my book.

I keep reading horror story after horror story of Gen 4's not feeding properly, not ejecting properly, etc. Most blame it on the retarded recoil spring assembly that Glock chose to use this time around, which I suppose is an easy fix. But my Gen 3 ran like a top right out of the box. The only modifications I've made to it were for my own purposes, not to make it any more reliable.

YMMV.

That's is true David. And that is the only reason I have not purchased one yet. I keep reading on Glocktalk about all the problems people are having, but I am confident the problems will eventually get straightened out.

The reason I want a gen 4 is because my hands are on the smaller side, and after fondling a gen 4 several times I can notice a huge difference. I no longer have to shift my grip to reach the mag release and new new texture is much better IMO.

But only time will tell.

• Administrator

I just read over on M4C that Glock is supposedly releasing a revised recoil spring assembly that "fixes" the problems people are having. I also saw where several folks make an adapter shim that lets you run a Gen 3 guide-rod / spring in your Gen 4 Glock 19.

Somehow with Gen 4, Glock truly did find a way to f'k up what was previously a supremely reliable weapon.

Somehow with Gen 4, Glock truly did find a way to f'k up what was previously a supremely reliable weapon.

yes they should have done more testing before releasing the Gen 4's. I think they were finally trying to fix the one probably that even Glock fanatics agree on-horrible ergonomics! I love Glocks but my XD subcompact feels 10x better in my hand than the Glock does. My G26 is especially annoying with that stupid hump.

I've seen several guys say that the new revised spring has fixed their problems. This is a good sign.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
yes they should have done more testing before releasing the Gen 4's. I think they were finally trying to fix the one probably that even Glock fanatics agree on-horrible ergonomics! I love Glocks but my XD subcompact feels 10x better in my hand than the Glock does. My G26 is especially annoying with that stupid hump.

I've seen several guys say that the new revised spring has fixed their problems. This is a good sign.

Actually, most Gen4 owners report no problems......including me. About 600 rounds through my Gen4 with no problems.

I'm fully confident in my Glock 19's, like them a lot, and carry them often.

Glock19Twins_05_web.jpg

Recently, however, they've been overtaken by my M&P 9 FS.

Isotope13_front_web.jpg

MP_OD_02_web.jpg

That doesn't mean I'll be selling off my Nitro Proof marked G19's, of course. I think they can peacefully coexist alongside of my M&P's.

TwoGuns_01_web.jpg

Actually, most Gen4 owners report no problems......including me. About 600 rounds through my Gen4 with no problems.

I realize there are probably more people that have NOT had problems but it is just surprising how many people have had problems, given Glock's reputation. I'm glad to hear your's runs perfectly. Which model do you have?

I'm fully confident in my Glock 19's, like them a lot, and carry them often.

Recently, however, they've been overtaken by my M&P 9 FS.

That doesn't mean I'll be selling off my Nitro Proof marked G19's, of course. I think they can peacefully coexist alongside of my M&P's.

what holster is that? It looks like the Raven but with different belt clips. And I really like the M&P's as well.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I realize there are probably more people that have NOT had problems but it is just surprising how many people have had problems, given Glock's reputation. I'm glad to hear your's runs perfectly. Which model do you have?

G19.

Actually, I was a bit surprised when I started researching the Gen4s. Out of all the threads on Glock Talk Home and m4c with people complaining, I started to notice that MOST of the complainers didn't really own one, or were relaying third-hand information they'd "overheard" at a gun shop. Of the people that did actually have one, they tended to post over....and over.....and over again about their issue. The number of people with an issue came out to be pretty small in my count, so I took the plunge. I'm glad I did.