Is your EDC also your nightstand gun?

So I have been considering this the last few days. I have a nightstand gun. I have a carry gun. I was thinking that I would combine the two. Carry my gun while away from the house and put it in my nightstand when I go to bed. The only disadvantage that I have come across is my wife...at the moment, she doesn't like guns being left out. I leave one out in case she is home and I'm not. She knows where my shotgun is and how to work it which will always be around. So this is strictly a handgun question. Aside from the comments, "she should get her HCP" etc...I like hearing what other people do so I can gain insight and potentially learn something.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a loaded G19 in a fobus holster and spare mag in the top drawer the nightstand on my wife's side of the bed. This serves as a gun for her when I'm gone but also a "always know where it is" gun in case of home invasion or such. I carry my EDC gun even when at the house so when I go to bed I just lay it on top of my nightstand. luckily my wife has no issue with guns laying around as long as they are holstered. We also do not have small children to worry about.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

No for me, but my nightstand gun operates exactly like my EDC. Glock 19 in the holster and Glock 34 in the hand-safe. It simplifies training and reduces confusion over changing guns, while giving me better accuracy, longer site raduis and higher capacity in my home defense gun.

Guest ForPointSix

When I get home I put my EDC (M&P 9c) in the safe and pull out the P89 for NSG duty. Now my wife uses her EDC (LCR) as the NSG. But I think it has more to do with being lazy, and not wanted to open and close the safe 2 or more times a day.

Guest Caveman

My EDC doubles as my nightstand pistol for one reason. If someone breaks into my house while I'm gone they will not be able to get into my gun safe, but if I have a pistol on my night stand they will surely see it and take it. I have a holster and dual mag pouch mounted to the side of my night stand and that is where my EDC sleeps while I do, otherwise it is on my hip and the rest of my firearm family are locked in the safe.

Guest Kamikaze

My EDC is a Springfield XD 9mm, or a Tarus TCP .380 depending on where I am going and how I am dressed. My nightstand gun is a judge magnum loaded with pdx-1. I have 3 children 3 and under. When the carry guns hit the house and leave my person they get the magazines removed and the chambers emptied. I have a bowl in the kitchen for the loose bullet and magazines, the kitchen is unaccesable by the kids. The empty gun goes on the other end of the kitchen in a drawer holstered.

During the day the judge stayed loaded in a hide a frame in the bedroom on a wall with no furniture for the climbers to get on. We lock the door to the room to acces it so they do not know it is even there. When the kids go to bed and we settle down for the night the judge comes out and gets places in a thumb break holster nailed to the back of the nightstand on my side of the bed.

Its a real pain to juggle everything around like that all the time but with little kids there isn't much choice if you want to stay at the ready. After a few weeks it became habit and that's just the way things are. I hit the alarm, put the Judge in the picture frame, get dressed, load whatever carry gun is reasonable for the day and go to work. I also keep my S&W 22A target pistol inside the grandfather clock in the living room where the front door is. Not next to the front door but accessible across the room if someone barges in. I leave it with a full mag, empty chamber, and the safety on. It's good for 8 out of 10 on a torso sized target at 100 yards off hand, so nothing but headshots out of that .22. ;)

Most importantly I practice with all of them as often as I can. I enjoy shooting period so it's not a chore. Even more important is I make my wife practice as well. Even to the point of having her run across the room from the lazy boy and getting the .22 or the judge, clearing jams, as well as having her shoot targets with the judge while holding a 20 lbs bag of sand in one hand and one handing some 3" 000 buck in the other.

Call me crazy but I love her and my kids to much to not be prepared.

Edited by Kamikaze

There have been times in my life when I only had one handgun so "choice" was not an issue! These days, I carry a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP (Pro CDP 2) as my EDC weapon with a Ruger LCR as my backup and those weapons are either on me or within easy reach whenever I'm home and awake.

However, while I generally take my two carry guns to the bedroom when I settle down for the night, in my nightstand and always in my nightstand is an HK45 with a Surefire tactical light on rail and that's the handgun I'm going to use if I'm reaching for a handgun in the middle of the night. However, none of those handguns would be a first choice - they are simply a backup to my SCAR light and my 12GA.

My carry gun is the Sig 220 I bought from Steelharp which replaced my 226. In the nightstand, however, is an ex-Bronker XD45 with a Sig light/strobe/ laser on the rail. No small children to be of any concern. There's also a Mossberg 12 gauge pump in the corner.

No, SD 40 with light/laser combo is nsg., also Wasr with 40rd mag. one step from bed. Wife has G 19 with light/laser on her side. I have a 442 tucked in a hidden place on the headboard. My edc. ( G 26 ) and bug. ( 638 ) are locked in safe at bedtime.

Guest eyescream

One of my carry guns lives in my nightstand, but generally, if I have to get up at night and take care of something, I'm bringing a 12 gauge instead.

If you wake me up, I care enough to send the very best. :)

"Nightstand gun" Mossberg 500A, Hogue Overmold stock, Limb Saver recoil pad, Trijicon front bead, butt sleeve shell holder and #1 Buck shot. If you think breaking in was tough, staying is gonna be a nightmare!

EDC (642) goes in holster on bed also, but "Cruizer" is primary at home.

F002CBDB7E274A9583CF80121ADE9E1E.jpg

Guest Caveman

I like your mattress rack, did you buy that?

My "nightstand shotgun" Remington 870 Express Tactical 12g. Knoxx Stock, Mesa side saddles and rail, NC Star Scope/laser, Surefire forearm with AFG, tri rail with Surefire flashlight, heat shield, Viking sling and ghost ring sights.

001.jpg

Edited by Caveman