ccw

bayouvol

I'm not trying to start a caliber war, but I really want to know if people feel a 9mm from a short barrell with 8 rounds is enough for civilian concealed carry? Is the 9 enough firepower and does it overpenetrate. I have a keltec 9 now but have the opportunity to trade for a Taurus pt145 but I like my keltec so far. What do you people think?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most effective gun is the one YOU can use most efficiently; no matter the caliber. As far as over penetrating...check out different brands of hollow points. Mag Safe makes pre-fragmented HP's just for the purpose of not over penetrating, but they hit extremely hard because they have a very high velocity. They're a little on the pricey side, but it is for self defense.

Buy a well-regarded self defense round and you'll be just fine. There are a lot of excellent choices in 9mm these days. As previously stated, where your target is hit is key for an effective threat neutralization.

I'm not trying to start a caliber war, but I really want to know if people feel a 9mm from a short barrell with 8 rounds is enough for civilian concealed carry? Is the 9 enough firepower and does it overpenetrate. I have a keltec 9 now but have the opportunity to trade for a Taurus pt145 but I like my keltec so far. What do you people think?

Its most likely fine. 8 shots double tapping is 3-4 bad guys if you don't miss much, so you ask yourself what exactly you are doing that gets you into this much or more trouble and stop doing that if you can! If you are forced into that sort of danger, maybe an extra magazine or 2 is in order to go with it or a high cap version. For most non-violent areas where one can walk in relative safety, your gun is more than fine, its only if you are in gang turf or similar that you need more.

I prefer the biggest thing "caliber" that fits my other needs, just in case, but thats personal choice. A lot of the time, the biggest "caliber" for me means a 6 shot .380, so this isnt a plug for a hand cannon, it just means that when given a choice between my 5 shot .22 and my 6 shot 380 to slip in a pocket, the 380 wins. 9mm is more than fine, esp if you put 2 of them into important anatomy.

Guest clownsdd
The most effective gun is the one YOU can use most efficiently; no matter the caliber. As far as over penetrating...check out different brands of hollow points. Mag Safe makes pre-fragmented HP's just for the purpose of not over penetrating, but they hit extremely hard because they have a very high velocity. They're a little on the pricey side, but it is for self defense.

+100 and to add...the one YOU are comfortable with.

But just mentioning you have a .45 will stop everyone without having to even fire a shot. ( Some body will take this as being serious.)

9's are fine. Choose load wisely.

As stated before. Carry the largest caliber YOU can effectively control.

But just mentioning you have a .45 will stop everyone without having to even fire a shot. ( Some body will take this as being serious.)

And the bad guy will usually pass out from fear but not before crapping themselves.

I carried a 9mm for a long time and never felt under gunned. I carry a 1911 now but not becaues of the round but becaues of the platform. I originally looked for a 1911 in 9mm but settled on a 45 because it met my needs.

Make sure you use quality ammo and shoot often. Practice will help you more than swapping out to a bigger caliber.

Dolomite

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

If you are comfortable with your Keltec (and don't have some special reason for wanting the Taurus other than fears of inadequacy), KEEP IT. All you need is something you're confident and comfortable with that you can shoot well. I carry a CW9 every day. That's 7+1 in 9mm out of a 3.6" barrel. With good ammo I have never felt like I might end up under-gunned if something went down.

If you're ending up in situations where that setup makes you feel under prepared, the first thing to do is figure out how to avoid putting yourself in those situations. The second is to practice more. Higher capacity and larger rounds can help, but if you can't put shots on target it's not going to matter.

For what it's worth, the PF9 is probably more easily concealed than the Taurus. I also have a PF9 and it gets carried twice as much as my 1911. I carry it in a pocket holster, IWB, OWB, Smart Carry, and Belly Band. To say the least, it's versatile. I love my full size 1911, but the PF9 gets the call more times than the 1911 just based upon ease of carry. I don't feel under gunned with either. As everyone has said, you have to decide what works best for you personally. Good luck!

Guest carter

sure :) its what i carry...Glock 19... just choose the correct ammunition...9mm is usually a very fast round and thru shots are very common. i carry Winchester SXZ think i have a few mags with hydrashock also..... both are good SD rounds

Guest dubaholic2

i couldnt imagine turning down a trade for a taurus .45 if i had the pf9. not bad mouthing the kel tec, but ive owned them and the taurus seems to be a much better gun and its a .45! my $.02

Guest TnValleyBulletman

A 9 is a great gun for carry and 8 round capacity is plenty. If you need more change mags. Over penetration or under performance will not be a problem with a good JHP load. I use the Winchester Ranger 127 gr. +P+ load. It works great and gives velocity equal to a .357 mag. fired from a short bbl. and does it with much less recoil.

The great advantage of a semi-auto is not mag capacity but quick and easy reloads.

i couldnt imagine turning down a trade for a taurus .45 if i had the pf9. not bad mouthing the kel tec, but ive owned them and the taurus seems to be a much better gun and its a .45! my $.02

PF9: around $250

Taurus .45 : around $375 for a cheap non 1911 and up to $700 for the 1911 formats.

at 1.5 times the price, sure its better. And yea, if you can trade them straight up, go for it!!

I would change it up just a little: carry the largest caliber you WILL carry.