Ayone else Fly Fish?

I've just re-discovered the pleasures of casting a fly, after a 20+ year layoff & I'm looking for places close to me to fish.

I just spent last weekend catching little brookies & rainbows up in the Smokies, but I don't feel like having to drive 3 + hours every time I wanna go fish!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I love a good 9-weight throwing flies for bonefish down in the Keys. Nothing hits quite like a bonefish.

My uncle has a stocked lake on his property down in Valdosta, GA. I don't know what he feeds those fish, but I've barely ever even had a fly touch the surface before something hits it.

Guest Bronker
We used to walk in from the rest stop on I-40. Call to see when the dam is generating. The water comes up quick.

Exactly what I do.

I love a good 9-weight throwing flies for bonefish down in the Keys. Nothing hits quite like a bonefish....

Caught two of them on fly rods down there, years ago. I caught a 25-30 lb tarpon on flyrod too, and it was easier to land than an 8 lb bonefish.

Almost got a good sized snook to boat once on flyrod, but got off at last min: figures, 'cause they're good to eat.

I never fly fished much for trout in TN growing up, but have caught a ton or two of bream and bass that way, mostly topwater during summers.

- OS

I fly fish. I used to go to Percy Priest caught a lot of different types of fish there.

The lake behind two rivers mansion used to be fun to go catch panfish with a popper. I had a couple of nights were i caught 30 plus fish.

My arm got tired. I want to go try below the dam in Columbia and see what I can catch.

I've fished the Caney a couple times but had little luck. The water comes up so high there that you have to catch it when it's completely down or fish out of a Kayak. If you want to fish for trout, the Clinch river in Knoxville is a great place, the Smokies are challenging but awesome, and Cherokee NC is probably the best place I've gone.

You might find it fun to fish for smallmouth bass in smaller rivers around Nashville. There's also some great places in Northern GA to go.

I love fly fishing. We usually just float the river in the summer catching bluegill and the rare perch on popping bugs. I have never been anywhere other than the Elk and Duck just floating in a flat bottom. I have also never caught a trout with a fly rod; however, the funnest thing I have snagged is a carp. That is a helluva fight. Fun times for sure.

I fish the Obey River below Dale Hollow. You need to check and see when they are going to generate before you go, because the water comes up so fast. There is a trout hatchery up at Dale Hollow and they stock some streams around there with rainbow and browns, so you can always wet a fly there if the river is high.

I have never used my fly rod in saltwater. I want to catch a bonefish or Jack Crevalle so bad, I just havent been able to get far enough south yet. One day...

The Elk River over this direction always has its fair share of fly fisherman (less than 25 mi or so from you). I have tried a fly rod at one time; doesn't look pretty enough for me to break my cast out in public though. Always a lot of people below the dam, but quite a few holes further down too. And I will try not to float my kayak through your favorite fishing hole while you are fishing it...been on both sides of that coin up at Tellico :)

Umm see my avatar! I love fly fishing. Caney Fork, Clinch, South Holsten, Watauga, all smokies streams. Hard to beat east tn.

From Tullahoma I would look into North Ga, it may not be any closer than smokies though. Don't hesitate to go after smallmouth with that fly rod, lots of fun!

When I was in the army (back in the musket days, lol) I used to trout fish the streams at the army ranger camp in the mountains of Dalonega (sp) GA. Those mountains streams (coopers creek I think it was) was my favorite. Nice, Nice Rainbows!

Guest TnRebel

I have fly fished salt and fresh water both saltwater with a 9-10 weight and fresh with a 4-5 weight largest salt water fish was a 89 lb. tarpon and fresh 11 lb. large mouth bass. both in Florida.

Guest TnRebel
I love a good 9-weight throwing flies for bonefish down in the Keys. Nothing hits quite like a bonefish.

My uncle has a stocked lake on his property down in Valdosta, GA. I don't know what he feeds those fish, but I've barely ever even had a fly touch the surface before something hits it.

+1 I agree

i grew up fishing the obey havent been there in tears. have been fishing thr white and norfork in ar for the last 20 yearsfrom my house to the norfork 346 miles is it wirth it ,yes the best place i have ever trout fished no 4 lane roads to get there but progress is getting them closer if you like to trout fish you mist go there at least once