Where do you go to shoot?

My son and I are meeting up with my brother in law at Academy of Self Protection today about noon. I took my HCP class there and have shot once more afterward at their range. It reminds me a lot of Gun City without the low overhead ceiling and without the bullets flying around... but I like it there. We also went last time to the Hendersonville Guns and Leather, which we also liked, only there were more people there.

I haven't been to Gun City in a LONG time, so if they've made any improvements I'd like to know. I can be there anyday within 5 minutes.

Where do you guys normally shoot?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time, and it will be the last time, I went to Gun City it was still the dungeon it was back in the 80's.

G&L and The Gun Room in Lebanon are the same distance for me but the Gun Room is easier for me to get to. They have a very nice range and great folks to talk to. Look them up, they're near the Watertown exit.

I keep a membership at Stones River because it's in the neighborhood, but have plans to join Charlie's range as well.

I have a membership at both too. I like certain things about both places. SRHEC is 10 minutes away and has MUCH better shooting positions. CHMR is less restrictive (still just as safe, though...imagine that) and more pleasant.

My only gripe about CHMR is that it's hard to find all my brass and the 10 yd targets are on the ground. I shoot pistols mostly, so I like the target stands at SRHEC much better.

I have a membership at both too. I like certain things about both places. SRHEC is 10 minutes away and has MUCH better shooting positions. CHMR is less restrictive (still just as safe, though...imagine that) and more pleasant.

My only gripe about CHMR is that it's hard to find all my brass and the 10 yd targets are on the ground. I shoot pistols mostly, so I like the target stands at SRHEC much better.

I shoot mostly rifles. I have a bunch of load development to do, and figure Charlie's place will be better for that. It can be a huge pain just getting to the shooting position at Stones River if you have a bunch of crap with you.

I am a member at CHMR. All the times I can go its packed!

My father in law has property in Culeoka. Lately I just go to his house. As a bonus I don't catch as much flak from the wife because I am spending time with the in laws. (so she thinks)

Behind my house unless it's raining. Then it's from the back porch.

This,

and I occasionally hunt from the dining room table. Misses gets mad if I just pop out the screen so I have to go out on the porch :D (I just don't get her some times....)

For rifle it's a toss up between CHMR and Stones River. CHMR is more convenient with less hassle, but SRHEC has nicer shooting benches.

My preferences in descending order for handgun

G&L Greenbrier

NRange in Hendersonville

CHMR

Not shooting at all

Uselton's in Franklin

Stones River

I haven't tried G&L Hendersonville yet.

Uselton's is a great indoor range, but too expensive for my wallet. I'd like to shoot there, but just can't afford it.

At Stones River on the handgun range, I always feel like I'm about to be on the news after getting shot by someone who doesn't know what they're doing and can't follow the RSOs' simple instructions. No thanks.

Edited by monkeylizard
I shoot mostly rifles. I have a bunch of load development to do, and figure Charlie's place will be better for that. It can be a huge pain just getting to the shooting position at Stones River if you have a bunch of crap with you.

Definitely a HUGE bonus about CHMR that I neglected to mention!

At Stones River on the handgun range, I always feel like I'm about to be on the news after getting shot by someone who doesn't know what they're doing and can't follow the RSOs' simple instructions. No thanks.

Yeah, I believe Jeff Cooper would advise being in Code Orange when shooting there.