1911 under $900

Parrothead

I'm looking for my first 1911. I want something i can carry once i become proficient with the 191 platform. I like the feel of the colt defender and the new agent. Any suggestions...I have heard mixed reviews on the Kimber's in my price range. I like the feel of the springers too.....

So...i have no clue what i want, :rolleyes:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about to make a purchase on a New Agent 9mm myself. Will be getting it later this week. I really like the size and inexpensive ammo. Plus its on a 1911 platform. Now, if it was chambered in .45, I would only shoot a full size, but I think the New Agent would be a great purchase for a carry gun in 9mm. I've owned and carried full size 1911's in the past, and they are my favorite gun to shoot (which is why I'm finally going to get rid of my Glock that I've been carrying)...Kimber's are hit and miss in the quality department. Some people have reported slide releases and other things breaking prematurely due to the manufacturing process of those particular parts. I've personally owned 2 Kimbers with no issues (a Custom II and a Pro Carry II). I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Kimber again. My Custom II was the most accurate gun I have ever owned, and I regret selling it due to my fear from all of the internet people talking crap about it. But looking back, I had shot thousands of rounds, each one of them with no failures, and it was even more accurate than my Springfield TRP Operator. Shoulda just kept it.

Thumbs up on the New Agent in 9mm. Don't get it in 45. 1911's aren't really designed to be shot in anything less than full size, so it can potentially be problematic in a carry situation. The reason being the smaller size and thus the shorter distance everything moves as far as the slide goes, occasionally causes failure to feed. Some overcome this issue by playing with the spring rates to try to slow down the slide and I did this as well on my Pro Carry, but in the long run, it just seems to make more sense to either carry a full size 45 or a compact 9mm instead of trying to tweak a compact 45, but that is entirely up to you if you want to stick with the 45.

Also, you'll want to buy Wilson Combat mags. I've owned Wilson, Tripp Cobra, and Chip McCormicks, and even made my own hybrids...but I just think Wilson Combat makes the best 1911 mags.

I would recommend a Metro Arms. They can be had for under $500 out the door and after a few upgrades, which most people do anyways, you will have a very nice gun for under $700. And you won't have to worry about getting holster wear and ruining the value. They come with a beavertail already installed, nice trigger, extended controls and decent sights.

Mine shoots better than the Colt I had. The tolerances were also a lot tighter than the Colt. Mine has over well over 1,000 trouble free rounds through it.I have about $600 in mine and I will put it against any gun under $1,000. I carry it almost every day and shoot it often.

Even if you don't want to do the upgrades it is a very nice gun. There is another member who put 4,800 rounds throguh his without an issue.

Take the money you saved, buy some ammo and shoot the gun a lot. Being new to 1911's practice and more practice is the key to doing well with one.

Dolomite

I have a full sized para, and once I replaced the extremely poor magazines that it came with, it has been an amazing gun. Their prices vary but I mention them as they have quality 1911 style guns in a variety of sizes and with some double stack mags, so you can get a smaller frame 10 rounder for example or a massive one with 15 or so rounds or whatever else.

You can get a very functional gun for a lower price but most are the classic brick design (huge, heavy, low cap, basic models). A lot of the more expensive guns offer little more than cosmetics over the cheap ones -- some have far better internal parts but many just have a nicer looking set of grips and sleek frame styling. The point is to take your time & look at your options, and for carry, branch away from the classic models to check out some of the modern "children" of the 1911 with the various frame sizes and so on. If you want a classic style after all, a number of less expensive guns are very good, every RIA owner I have talked to for example loves their gun.

Guest TresOsos

First 1911, you can't go wrong with a standard 5" Colt Goverment Model. IT will retain its value better than others if that is a concern. If honest wear from shooting and holstering is going to bother you, then get a Glock. Too me there is nothing better than a 1911 that shows wear from honest use, adds character.

Guest NashvegasMatt
Just sold a colt defender today. Awesome gun! I like the Springfields as well. I'll never sell my stainless loaded Champion.

got that right... I am not selling mine either.

Go with the commander size or full size, If you are going to carry it, you won't notice a difference in the length. I've owned all three sized and EDC my loaded campion.

Guest The Highlander

Ruger, SIG, Springfield come to mind. I have handled a S&W and liked it, but have never fired one. My Kimbers are older models and have been flawless, no experience with the newer guns.

We can get together and you can shoot my 1911's and see which you like. Gun Depot has had the Rugers and Springfields.

For what it is worth, Ruger is donating money to NRA for every gun they sell this year, trying for 1 million guns.

I carry a Kimber daily. It's a 4" Eclipse I bought used for $750. It's a GREAT gun!

I plan to come to JeffSig's on sat if I can get cleared by Doctor (back surgery). I will bring my Kimber and Springfield TRP an you can shoot them all you want.

Most 1911s you buy are reliable, or can be made that way. I would buy from a source with good customer service, as any 1911 can have issues. Those I recommend are Springfield, Kimber, Metro Classic