Gun Show vs Gun Store for purchase?

Guest jkintn

Not sure which forum to start this thread so mods please move if somewhere better.

In the market for a new CCW handgun - want to handle several before I decide. When it comes to making the purchase, are prices better at a show or a store? So far, I've been to Guns & Leather (both locations), Goodlettsville Gun Shop and Guns for America. All stores seemed fine and don't mind keeping my money local to support local businesses. Are prices at gun shows much better? I don't mind paying slightly more for good service and return trips for future purchases.

Just thought I'd ask.

Some local stores are going to be priced better than gun shows; like G&L. I have bought from them and they came close to what I could do on-line, but they are a two hour trip for me. My local dealer would probably get all my gun business if I had a dealer like G&L close by. The gun shows are as high, or higher than some stores.

But it depends on where you are. There is nothing with decent pricing around Murfreesboro. I have ordered the last few new ones on-line from Buds or CDNN. I bought new for much less than in-store and in some cases about the same as used. I get them in three days.

I use to buy a lot of used. But in the last few years used prices are crazy. Out of the last five I think I bought one used. I post first it the WTB section here, but that hasn’t helped much lately. Why would someone pay new price for used?

Edited by DaveTN
Guest Scramasax

You seem to have jumped all around D&T. They have been the most pleasant store to do business with in the area. David has always been able to find me the guns I wanted and given me a very fare price. He also gives TGO members a fare transfer fee. As to the prices at the gun shows I have seen prices all over the scale. Look for Specialty ARMS II(no this is not a plug for a non-vendor,the question was asked). They have literally been having a FIRE SALE. Guns from his store that survived the arson. You can tell when you are close because of the smell of smoke. All the guns he is selling are in good shape, carry the factory warranty, and are below his cost. Acouple of cleanings with take care of the smell. They will be at the Hendersonville show this weekend.

Cheers,

ts

Saw the exact same gun today at the gun show with two dealers. Price at one dealer was $549, the other dealer was $659.

Also saw one with a ew price tag, that had obvious wear near the extractor. Didn't mention about being used or fired.

Buyer beware. Shop around.

I think the key is knowing the price point and looking at both gun shows and stores. For example I was looking for a M&P 9c. Buds guns online had one for $482. Gun show on Saturday had the same gun for $475. Local retail $489.

Of course this is going to vary from show to show and retail to retail. As a general rule I don't go to shows expecting discount prices. Just do your research prior to shopping either place.

If the item that I want to purchase is significant, my philsophy has been to take a picture of the item with my cell at the local store or show with price, after I touch it feel it, etc. Then research, research, research, the best possible price. I factor in sales tax (sorry Tennessee), shipping costs, other fees i.e. FFL transfer fee, ammo tax, fuel cost and my personal time (driving to and from), and then I bake all of this into the final price. If a local business wants to sweeten the deal with adding value without adding cost, then that sways my final judgment some. If a local business has a no hassle return policy, this sometimes sways my decision providing the local price preimum is within reason, i.e. <10% max.

I dropped the loyality to a certain business thing many many years ago. Great business people are very shrewd. Great value shoppers are equally shrewd, if not more. It all goes back to what you consider to be significant. Look at prices in comparison to the number man hours it takes to buy something. If you want to buy a $800 Sig, and you make $30K per year, then your Sig will cost you 14 1/2 hours. In my line of work, that is a lot of stress, not necessiarly alot of money. So I am going to make sure I have exhausted every possible lead for the best deal for me before I make the purchase. The descision to buy has already been made, its just where to buy at the best possible value is the most important remaining issue. One final example, if I could buy a new car in Atlanta $800 cheaper than the same exact car in Knoxville, I will definitely drive to Atlanta to buy it. Then take that $800 that I saved and by the $800 Sig. Do your homework. Don't let impulse or thin patience mold your purchase. (Dave Ramsey eat your heart out)!

• Like 1
Guest lostpass

If the item that I want to purchase is significant, my philsophy has been to take a picture of the item with my cell at the local store or show with price, after I touch it feel it, etc. Then research, research, research, the best possible price. I factor in sales tax (sorry Tennessee), shipping costs, other fees i.e. FFL transfer fee, ammo tax, fuel cost and my personal time (driving to and from), and then I bake all of this into the final price. If a local business wants to sweeten the deal with adding value without adding cost, then that sways my final judgment some. If a local business has a no hassle return policy, this sometimes sways my decision providing the local price preimum is within reason, i.e. <10% max.

I dropped the loyality to a certain business thing many many years ago. Great business people are very shrewd. Great value shoppers are equally shrewd, if not more. It all goes back to what you consider to be significant. Look at prices in comparison to the number man hours it takes to buy something. If you want to buy a $800 Sig, and you make $30K per year, then your Sig will cost you 14 1/2 hours. In my line of work, that is a lot of stress, not necessiarly alot of money. So I am going to make sure I have exhausted every possible lead for the best deal for me before I make the purchase. The descision to buy has already been made, its just where to buy at the best possible value is the most important remaining issue. One final example, if I could buy a new car in Atlanta $800 cheaper than the same exact car in Knoxville, I will definitely drive to Atlanta to buy it. Then take that $800 that I saved and by the $800 Sig. Do your homework. Don't let impulse or thin patience mold your purchase. (Dave Ramsey eat your heart out)!

I'd think you need to factor in man hours looking for the best deal. Let's say the car is 800 bucks cheaper in Atlanta. That is six hours of driving for me. At 15 bucks an hour that knocks the savings down to 710. Still substantial. But I've spent ten hours comparing deals so I'm saving 550. A nice chunk of change. But I am really valuing my time off fairly? Only if I really like shopping, which ,I don't.

In general I am happy to pay for service and convenience. It isn't all about the lowest price it is about the best value. In some cases, dried oats or something, price is the only thing I care about but in other cases service is just as important. The Shoney's buffet might be the best value going if you factor in cost per calorie but I will generally pay the extra for a nice experience.

In Knoxville, new guns of the most commonly available popular models are mostly around same best price as at any surrounding dealer. Heck, some of those dealers are AT the show.

If say, 4 dealers at a show have the same gun, the cheapest price there is just about guaranteed to be within 5% of any price in the area.

The shows have the advantage of lots of vendors, lots of guns, all in same place.The convenience factor is not inconsiderable, and worth paying the $8 just for that, IMO.

- OS

Gun shows all seem to be high compared to stores here

Case and point......I bought an R1 for 599 at the store,its also 599 online - gun show ripoff price 649.00

The good news is It was the gun show that gave me the itch for that 1911 the bad news is I dont wanna haggle

on 50 bucks when most retailers are less money..Gun show looses sale - Besides gun shop is also relationship based

gun show im just another passer by........Support your local shop IMO

Guest RebelWithACause

The best deals at gun shows are out in the parking lot.

I've bought several guns recently from budsgunshop.com...but I do have a membership at a local gun shop/range and purchase ammo and some accessories through them.

I'm all about supporting local business, but if I can save $100 online, I'll go that route and spend the $100 I save on ammo and supplies locally.

I learned my father's mentality about buying something. If there's something I want, I look for it, either on-line, locally, or at a gun show. If I find it and it has a reasonable price, I buy it and be done with it. If the price is higher than I think it should be, I leave it behind.

As to the OP's question, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking to go somewhere that you can fondle the most weapons to see what fits, or are you looking for the best price? I don't buy from gun shows because I've never found any weapon priced right and recently the selection isn't worth the $7-10 premium you pay just to look. I'm also not a "people person" so I don't hit up the guys in the parking lot or walking the aisles (but that's where the deals are, I am told.) Guns and Leather in Greenbriar and Franklin Gun Shop in Franklin seem to have the most varied selections to choose from in the case. I've never been to D&T, but from what I've seen of their prices, they and G&L seem to lead the pack for the most part.

Mac

I learned my father's mentality about buying something. If there's something I want, I look for it, either on-line, locally, or at a gun show. If I find it and it has a reasonable price, I buy it and be done with it. If the price is higher than I think it should be, I leave it behind.

Mac

Mac is on target. The price you are willing to pay, .i.e., worth, is subjective and deepends on many factors. Among them of course is the price, but the amount of time and effort you are willing to expend in the hunt, the cost of your time, the cost of fuel, and how badly you really want "the" gun will determine whether you are willing to put down your hard-earned money.

Guns shows are a mixed bag. In some cases, you can find good deals. (I am still kicking myself for that M44, still in mummy wrap, I did not buy for $100.) You do have to shop around. Know the prices b4 going to the show. In many cases, the shows are the FIRST STOP for new buyers. The dealers know this, and price higher. Nothing like an uninformed customer to increase the bottom line.

Remember, if you are going to the show, make sure to add the entry fee into the cost of the firearm.

Basically put, doing a little homework will save you from over spending.

i go to a gunshow every week so i am most likley biased.i think gunshows like gunstores have good and bad some have nothing but junk some have anything you might want .i dont sell guns or ammo so i will use them for an example.i saw gen 3 glock 22 last week in nashville for 499.99 at 2 dealers thats a pretty good price week before in lexington they were 469.99 why? more people compeating for your dollar .last week in nashville you could buy 7.62 x 39 for 229.99 per case same in lexington last week is there a gun store in nashville that sells for that i dont know i havent been in a gunstore in a while i have an addiction to buying guns so i stay out of them i am usually too busy ar a gunshow to look very much i have a simple buisness practice if you find it cheaper i will match the price but you must match apples with apples bit when i want something i usually force myswlf into a gunstore or a gunshow and buy it

I'll pay 5% to 9% or so more for gun-stuff from my reliable, knowledgeable local gun store. I'm paying for the convenience, I'm paying for the knowledge, I'm paying for the reliability.

If I need a gun item, I don't want to drive all over the place looking for it, or wait for it to come via UPS in five days. If I don't know what to get, I want some one knowledgeable to inform me. If there's a problem with an item, I want someone I can trust to make reliable repairs or arrange for warranty work. I'll pay more for these services.

If prices are much more than 10% higher, or if If I'm not getting the knowledge, or the reliability, I'll drive right past the local store to another store, or turn to the internet.

My military service had meant I moved around a lot. When I got to a new town and went to check out the local gunstores, in larger and larger circles from my house, I'd always "window shop" for the first couple of trips to check each place out. I might ask to see an item I already knew about, and ask questions for which I already knew the answer. If the courtesy wasn't there, if the knowledge wasn't there, if the store was dirty, disorganized and un-business-like, I'd say "have a good day" and they'd never see me again. If the store passed these very simple tests, they'd get first consideration for all purchases, and then over time, loyalty in spite of pluses or minuses on prices.

I imagine I'm not alone in making these assessments, even though others put more or less dollar-value on them.

Regarding gun shows: I go looking for the unusual used stuff, or for bulk consumable supplies, like a case of ammo or 8 lbs of powder or other reloading supplies. I wouldn't buy new or warranty-items at a gun show unless it was at the table of a store-front shop in my area.

Regarding the internet: I look for the specialty tools, or the hard to find items that local stores don't stock.

Edited by QuietDan

Do any of the gun shops around town have a range ? I'm new in town and need a place to shoot , live in the Brentwood area.

Thx

Nightowl

Both Guns and Leather stores have indoor ranges (one in Greenbrier, one in Hendersonville). I think there are indoor ranges in Lebanon and Murfreesboro as well. Not sure about Brentwood or Franklin.

I find gun shows to be entertaining and usually a good place to see a lot of different firearms in one place. However, I would never buy a firearm there unless I was dealing with a dealer (or private party) that I already knew and had a relationship with.

Prices are prices and that's true no matter who you are buying from...as has already been said, the best way to know if you are getting a fair price is to know ahead of time what the firearm is worth! :)

I just got back from the show in Knoxville.I could have gone to Acadamy Sports,got in free and found a new gun on adveage of 100.00 cheaper than used ones at the show.I noticed that even many of the new guns at the show looked used as they have been loaded,unloaded and handled so much.I did buy a Zombie shirt and a sling atachnent for my AR.

Do any of the gun shops around town have a range ? I'm new in town and need a place to shoot , live in the Brentwood area.

Thx

Nightowl

Uselton's in Franklin had a range. They are close to I-65 and Hwy 96. There are people with mixed feelings about the store, but they have a decent range.

I would say your local gun shop would rather make a deal than have you transfer the gun from another state. I know I have heard of Franklin Gun matching prices from some online deals. It can't hurt to ask and if they get offended they might be in the wrong business.