Don't You Just Love The TSA???

So my dumbass SIL tries to get on a plane today with a pocketknife in his carry-on bag, (he travels a lot for work installing networking cable and forgot it was in his backpack instead of checked luggage), which is a Kershaw Speedsafe folder that uses a torsion bar to hold the blade closed and a protrusion on the blade to open it. SIL's forgetfulness aside, the morons at TSA are claiming it's a spring-assisted knife. One, that isn't so, and two, it's still not illegal according to both Tennessee and federal laws.

Don't you feel safer knowing these people are on the job?

United States Code

TITLE 15 - COMMERCE AND TRADE

CHAPTER 29 - MANUFACTURE, TRANSPORTATION, OR DISTRIBUTION OF SWITCHBLADE KNIVES

Section 1241. Definitions

As used in this chapter -

(a) The term ''interstate commerce'' means commerce between any

State, Territory, possession of the United States, or the District

of Columbia, and any place outside thereof.

(B) The term ''switchblade knife'' means any knife having a blade

which opens automatically -

(1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the

handle of the knife, or

(2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

I have nothing against the agents. Just don't like their agency or that agency's stupid policies. I saw where one of the former directors said they need to lighten up. That banning small scissors, nail clippers and pocket knives was stupid and wasn't really protecting anyone. He felt that if terrorists ever tried to take a plane over again, that the passengers would chose to fight rather than be sheeple. I think he's right.

What a load of garbage. There are precisely two things that have made flying safer since 2001, and neither has a damn thing to do with the TSA.

1) Reinforced, lockable doors on cockpits.

2) Passengers who know better than to acquiesce and sit quietly while a hijacker does their thing.

Perfect examples being the shoe bomber - passengers beat the crap out of him - and the pilot who went off his rocker recently. The copilot locked his butt out of the cockpit and passengers restrained him (beat the crap out of him).

Edited by BryanP

No matter how dumb you think your SIL is, the morons who work for the TSA are 10x that.

Maybe he can get a job with them. :shrug:

I don't fly a lot, but I know enough to not even put a pair of nailclippers in my carry-on luggage. He flys frequently for work, and if I did the same I would NEVER put such an item in a bag that I might carry onto the plane to prevent this type of situation. It is typical of him to not think things through and try to excuse it with "I forgot!"

Edited by SWJewellTN

I was about to walk through security at Midway Airport in Occupied Chicago when I realized I still had my Kershaw Leek clipped on. I had already passed through the part where they check ID, so I asked the nearest TSA guy what to do. Long story short, I went back to the Southwest counter, dumped it in a box, and sent it as checked baggage. The OP's story makes me very happy I caught my error before the metal detector did.

• 2 weeks later...

Well someone in Scotland is enjoying my Hinderer XM-18 ,

it was in my checked Bag I have taken that knife all over the world and never had an issue. When i got home it was not in my bag, it had the security tag that secures the zippers intact so I know that their version of TSA took it

I have written a formal complaint as this is a very expensive knife I will see what becomes of it but I think I am SOL

...I just got an email from British Airlines and they may be covering the cost of my knife! Wow I did not expect that

That would be truly astounding indeed! Hope it happens, especially with a thoroughbred knife like that. Keep us informed.

- OS

That would be truly astounding indeed! Hope it happens, especially with a thoroughbred knife like that. Keep us informed.

- OS

Yes they are paying for it!!! One of the benefits of having so many Air miles I guess

• Like 1

Man, that's great Willis68! I think next time though if I were you, I'd either travel with my least favorite knife or get a cheap(er) Kershaw. I'd have been sick to lose an knife that expensive!!!

A little off topic, but I recently flew for work. Kershaw and other forbidden items (including liquids) were safely stowed in checked luggage. At the counter the lady wanted to charge me for first checked bag. As I started to bitch about it she said it would qualify as carry on. At the prospect of saving 25 bucks I carried on. Made it through security and boarded. About halfway through the flight I realized I had access to my knife, razor, scissors, etc. Didn't mention it and checked my bag on the flight back but lost any feeling of security having accidentally circumvented this crack security measure. TSA is a typical government operation......overpriced, over-intrusive, and absolutely inept. Shame on me for being dumb enough to make the mistake. Ridiculous that I have to take my shoes and belt off to board a plane but can slip through with contraband as dictated by the man!

• 2 weeks later...

"TSA Guy: You can't take those on the plane.

Soldier: What? I've had them since we left country.

TSA Guy: You're not suppose to have them.

Soldier: Why?

TSA Guy: They can be used as a weapon.

Soldier: [touches butt stock of the rifle] But this actually is a weapon. And I'm allowed to take it on.

TSA Guy: Yeah but you can't use it to take over the plane. You don't have bullets.

Soldier: And I can take over the plane with nail clippers?

TSA Guy: [awkward silence]

Me: Dude, just give him your damn nail clippers so we can get the f--k out of here. I'll buy you a new set.

Soldier: [hands nail clippers to TSA guy, makes it through security]

This might be a good time to remind everyone that approximately 233 people re-boarded that plane with assault rifles, pistols, and machine guns -- but nothing that could have been used as a weapon. "

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Security is theater. There is no way to provide true security. They keep taking away anything you could harm someone with. How long before we need to be in strait jackets to board a plane. Those hands might be used as weapons. You can't give away freedom in the name of security. You gain neither.

Oh well, I'm sure you all feel the same way. I flew for the first time this year and realized about halfway back I had accidentally left something in my carryon. Yep, they missed it. I feel so safe. :rofl: