Beretta M9 or New G17 FDE ?

I have a chance to trade my Like new Beretta M9 in excellent condition for a new in box Glock 17 in the new Flat Dark Earth color (tan color) .

What would you guys do ?

My Beretta is only carried in the winter when I hunt as a back up and as a carry gun when I wear a heavy coat.

I like these guns both equally .

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train with both my M9 & G17 regularly and honestly I really like them both about equally and I wouldn't hesitate to grab either one in an emergency situation as both are accurate & reliable sidearms, market value is about the same, ergonimics is where the main difference between the two pistols is, the Beretta feels much better in my hand, where as the Glock feels more like holding onto a brick, I don't care that much for slide-mounted safety of the Beretta and I am not a big fan of DA/SA triggers, however all of this sort of equals out things between the two platforms (for me at least) and while I wouldn't consider either of them to be "perfect" they both are very good sidearms.

But it would be difficult to say which one you'd like better since ergonomics differ from person to person.

I'd keep the Beretta M-9 and wait until I had the money to buy a new or used Glock 17. Both pistol's are great for training or home protection. they're both also a tad bit large for every day concealed carry as well. The Beretta Nono, Ruger Lc9 or any number of newer compact 9mm pistol's are a good bit easier to carry on a daily or regular basis. I've carried a G-22 and G-27 for many years now in a lot of different types of holster's and their thickness is an issue in concealment.

i am the one with the 17 FDE and i am gonna tell you straight up in front of everyone.... if it is a Commercial M9 replica you should keep it and not go for the Glock. The M9 is the standard issue side arm of the Armed Forces and if the SHTF there will be an ample amount of parts or magazines. Just my :2cents: . Either way is up to you as they are both of equal practicality for there purpose and uses.

Glock 17 has Tenifer finish while Beretta has Bruniton finish

Tenifer means nitrocarburized diffision into the steel. Bruniton is baked on finish.

Glock internals are better protected from water splashes and sweet coming from your body

All it means that Glock would survive longer in harsh environment

Glock has fewer moving parts which means superior reliability.

They're comparable in size, capability, reliability, and value. Both are readily available on the market if you decide you want the other at some later date. You said you like them both.

This all adds up to: You won't go wrong either way.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest Lester Weevils

Its all a matter of taste, but I have two 92FS and one G17, and would not be inclined to change it to one 92FS and two G17.

Everyone of my friends that played in the Sandbox hate the Beretta with a passion(And I dont mean just 2 people,more along 15 or so),they cant seem to say enough bad things about their performance over there, that being said they all have have a couple of Glocks. I personally have had a really nice 96 and a couple of 92's and I prefer Glock in a major way for my self defense handgun, my Beretta 96 is the only gun I have had where the slide completely locked up and could not be racked after firing no matter what you did to it, I actually had to take it to a armorer to get it repaired.

Bottom line if you want a real world weapon that has an outstanding reputation for reliability and getting the job done go Glock, if you want a piece of eye candy to just show to your friends keep the Beretta.

Edited by ~48_South~