Texas testing 85 MPH speed limit on highway segment

They could have saved a bunch of testing time and simply placed a quick call to TDOT. Based on the way people drive around here, it's pretty easy to build interstate that can handle 85 MPH. Or 105 MPH, for that matter.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1
Guest 270win

I wish TDOT would get rid of the split 65/55 speed limit in Shelby County. It just makes the trucks clog up traffic and cars constantly weaving in front of trucks trying to pass them. I honestly think driving through the Knoxville area is worse than driving through Memphis or Nashville because of that 65/55 split speed limit there. There is no split speed limit in Nashville and the traffic seems to move smoother.

They could have saved a bunch of testing time and simply placed a quick call to TDOT. Based on the way people drive around here, it's pretty easy to build interstate that can handle 85 MPH. Or 105 MPH, for that matter.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk 2

The Germans have been doing it for years.

The Germans have been doing it for years.

There are a lot of things the Germans do to mitigate risk that we don't do though. A big one is hefty fines for following too closely using lines on the road and cameras to calculate safe distance. 85 mph speed limits mean that drivers will be going between 90-95. Driving like an ahole at those speeds is far more deadly than 75. Something they understand in Germany which is why they do it safely there. I don't see Americans being able to balance speed and safety. Not with a generation tommy texters and reality show whore wannabes.

• Like 1

There are a lot of things the Germans do to mitigate risk that we don't do though. A big one is hefty fines for following too closely using lines on the road and cameras to calculate safe distance. 85 mph speed limits mean that drivers will be going between 90-95. Driving like an ahole at those speeds is far more deadly than 75. Something they understand in Germany which is why they do it safely there. I don't see Americans being able to balance speed and safety. Not with a generation tommy texters and reality show whore wannabes.

this, i watched a show one time about the autobahn and it was pretty intresting, they don't just give anyone a license at 16, drivers over there have a graduated program they have to complete that is pretty strengent and the fines are pretty stout too. I try to practice lane disipline but some people just don't and never will get it over here. I think Montana even had a no speed limit stretch of road for awhile.

I wish TDOT would get rid of the split 65/55 speed limit in Shelby County. It just makes the trucks clog up traffic and cars constantly weaving in front of trucks trying to pass them. I honestly think driving through the Knoxville area is worse than driving through Memphis or Nashville because of that 65/55 split speed limit there. There is no split speed limit in Nashville and the traffic seems to move smoother.

Not many big trucks go 55 in the split zones. Nashville and Chattanooga have small 55 zones, Knoxvilles is huge.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

In my youth I used to drive 45 miles to work each way. I only dropped to 75 in 55 zones normally floated bout 90-95. Now. Drive for work & only exceed speed by 3-5mph max unless I have to avoid wackos & must speed up temporarily.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I keep it 5-8 mph over the limit, unless the flow of traffic is faster than that. I have a radar detector, but them cops and troopers is sneaky, so I don't rely on it...especially if I'm "out in the open". It's worked so far, no speeding tickets in over 25 years.

I'd love for the rural interstate speed to go up 10 or 15 mph, but ONLY if the big rigs stay out of the passing lane.

Unfortunately, people in America don't know how to drive, and an 85 MPH speed limit would be dangerous. People drive in the left lane like they own it. I used to drive fast until I looked in the rearview and saw my kids in child seats. I don't speed now cause $200 fines for drive 10 MPH over the limit is far too rich for me.

85 is fast,while im all for it there are PLENTY of cars that are not safe at that speed,esp older POSs from 10-20 years ago

and then you have the skills factor or lack of....Im curious how it all pans out cause 85 really means 90!@

Treehuggers are gonna cry,85 burns so fuel now!

Edited by SonnyCrockett