Bible-college student arrested in New York for having pocketknife

I've been to NYC several times but my wife hasn't. About every other month she tells me we should plan a trip, she too would like to visit the 9/11 memorial. I keep just harumpfing & sayin maybe next spring or fall. Summer can really suck there. Hopefully, I can do that for 3-4 yrs more at least lol. I just don't have any desire to go there I feel like it would equate to spending a few days hanging around a tsa checkpoint. I'm afraid she just won't understand tho... my hope is just to keep distracting her with other destinations. Hey look at that Florida beach! How about those shops in gatlinburg! I heard there was a huge outlet mall nearby!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I'm with BigK, if I carried a large knife or a fixed blade I may think about looking at regulations before carrying it in a foreign place. I really wouldn't think twice about carrying my 2 1/2 inch blade lockback. Heck, IMO a locking blade is a safety feature that makes the knife safer to use. I consider a knife to be a tool that I use everyday more than it is a weapon. I would check the regulations on carrying my knife just about as quickly as I would check those about wearing a belt or carrying a ball point pen. Usually I am in the "ignorance of the law is no excuse crowd" but when the New Yorkers are coming up with these asinine laws I just do kind of believe that "Ignorance is a perfectly acceptable excuse for stupid laws and that a person should make sure that their knife is well concealed at all times."

... Heck, IMO a locking blade is a safety feature that makes the knife safer to use. ... but when the New Yorkers are coming up with these asinine laws...

You won't find "no lock back knives" in the law; it's just the interpretation of them that has been mandated by the DA, Cyrus Vance, Jr.,

- OS

You won't find "no lock back knives" in the law; it's just the interpretation of them that has been mandated by the DA, Cyrus Vance, Jr.,

- OS

Just what happens when your guns are taken away. You have to do your killin' sprees with a Baby Buck knife.

I had heard that part about cops seeing the pocket clip and getting you for not concealing it. IIRC, it was intrepeted as some form of brandishing to intimidate or something like that.

Either way, what if you have a Leatherman on your belt? Reckon they'd come after you, since they know it's a tool more than it's a weapon?

Either way, what if you have a Leatherman on your belt? Reckon they'd come after you, since they know it's a tool more than it's a weapon?

It's New York, so yes they most likely would. Also only in New York would you be intimidated by a Swiss Army Knife. Oh no it has a tiny blade and a corkscrew! The horror!

I have been to NYC. All in all, I didn't leave anything in New York that I need to go back and get. Truthfully, I would prefer to never again set foot in New York City, New York State or their neighbor, New Jersey.

Before I went, I checked into self defense laws, etc. From what I can tell they even had restrictions on OC spray and the like that said you could only carry spray that was bought in the state or something to that effect.

Did I mention my total lack of desire to return there?

Edited by JAB

I have been to NYC. All in all, I didn't leave anything in New York that I need to go back and get. Truthfully, I would prefer to never again set foot in New York City, New York State or their neighbor, New Jersey.

Before I went, I checked into self defense laws, etc. From what I can tell they even had restrictions on OC spray and the like that said you could only carry spray that was bought in the state or something to that effect.

Defending yourself in any way is illegal in commie states like NY. You only have the right for the police to show up and draw a chalk outline around your dead body.

• Like 1
Defending yourself in any way is illegal in commie states like NY. You only have the right for the police to show up and draw a chalk outline around your dead body.

This is sadly too true. There'll never be enough cops to actually prevent crimes. The old saying will always be true...when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

At least our founding realized self-defense was primarlily our responsibility. Places like NYC are trying hard to fix that.

Edited by BigK

This is perhaps the best reason to stay out of NY and Illinois.

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
I remember once, right here in Cleveland, when I was in Elementary School. One of the teachers was telling us the "horror story" of one time when she saw a worker (I figure someone probably contracted to work on the school or fix something. I could be wrong) who had a knife sheath on his belt. He was reported and confronted. It turned out that it was a screwdriver he was keeping in the sheath.

To end the story, she said something along the lines of "It was just stupid that he would keep a screwdriver in a knife sheath".

WTH is wrong with this country?
Guest Tusculum
My work place dont allow blades over 4". They dont care if its an automatic. fixed blade, locking blade, even a hawkbill but if that blade is over 4" youll be in HR I would guess
[quote name='Tusculum' timestamp='1353362623' post='848400']
My work place dont allow blades over 4". They dont care if its an automatic. fixed blade, locking blade, even a hawkbill but if that blade is over 4" youll be in HR I would guess
[/quote]

Perhaps they don't allow that since general carry of +4" blades is also against TN law.

Surprised they'd ban over 4" but not autos, which are also unlawful to carry period.

- OS Edited by OhShoot