New 9mm - What to Buy?

Guest Nikator

Guest Nikator

So I'm on the market for a 9mm. Its going to be a range gun primarily, and I plan on taking some advanced classes and then maybe starting IDPA, just to give you an idea about the use of the pistol. I would not be target shooting more than 50 yards out. I don't mind carrying a full size when I want to CC.

I'm not a huge Glock fan, but I shoot a family member's regularly and find it to be pretty accurate. I like the availability of upgrade parts and the ease of install. Now that I think about it, the title of the thread should be "Convince me not to buy a Glock." If I go glock should I get the 17 and upgrade it (sights / extended mag release ) after I get used to it or just go for the 34?

I held an XDM and a P229 yesterday. The XDM felt good and the sights were nice. The front sight was a little thinner and I could see how that would make aquiring the target easier. I really liked the P229 but am more interested in the P226.

Is the SRT on the P229 a must have? I really liked how that gun's trigger had no creep. It felt more like a 1911's trigger.

I've also been interested in a Beretta 92 but I'd want the version with adjustable sights.

Anything else I should consider? I'd like to keep the price to around $600, but can go higher for the right gun.

I would reccomend the Glock route as that is what I have. If you plan to ever CC it I would go for the 17. If it was ONLY a carry gun I would reccomend the 19.

I did succesfully and comfortably carry a 17 before I got the 19.

I will also say I didn't find the 17 to be far more accurate than the 19 so I would choose whichever one feels better in your hand. I'm sure either could be enhanced to your liking with aftermarket accesories.

I have never shot a 34 though so I can't really comment on them. I just don't have a need for that much of a specialty gun.

Edited by bendbolden

You need to fondle them and pick based on YOUR preferences. There are former M&P guys that are now Glock guys, and it goes the other way too. It's hard to go wrong if you like it.

If you do go with Glock, avoid their extended mag release. That thing will poke your eye out. Get the Vickers mag release instead. Ask me how I know :pleased:

• Like 1

Regarding your Sig quesion about the SRT trigger....yup, it's definatly worth it in my opinion. I don't currently own a Sig but I've had close to a dozen or so over the past few years and I definatly like the SRT triggers vs. the "factory" norm.

Truthfully, as others have said, IF you can, shoot as many as you can and see which one you are confortable with.

Mike is right. Fondle and shoot as many as you can an pick the one you like the best.While, I'm personally a SIG guy, that's because they seem to fit my hand best. Brand loyalty aside the one you like the best will be the one you shoot the best.

Guest Nikator

Worth holding a M&P9, I cc a m&p45c and love it.

Good call. I haven't held one yet. I'm going to stop by Franklin Gun Shop (overpriced but if they have it in stock I'd handle it there) this week and see if they have that and the CZ mentioned above.

Guest razorblade

Most guys that I know that have shot a Sig have become infected with the "Signess" and can't seem to shake it (and don't want to). So be very careful.

Unfortunately mikegideon is right. I used to despise glocks until I really took the time to try it and ended up working really well for me. I'm sure the same will go for any other. As everyone else said you should go shoot a few; pick out two or three you really like and then if you can't make up your mind come back and get some more detailed info and experiences from the members here.

here is your anti glock post:

The 17 esp, but all glocks in general, have 3 issues that may or may not matter to you in idpa:

lightweight --- the light plastic frame means more felt recoil

grip angle --- at least for me, it adds recoil by pounding the wrists linearly rather than rotationally. It varies for different shooters.

recoil springs --- the +p eating springs of glocks are rather stout/stiff, and while they can handle more powerful loads, they also translate more of the recoil into the shooter before those stiff springs start to collapse and absorb.

All that combines into a gun that kicks fairly hard for a 9mm. Lots of folks have no problems with it, but I find that the 17 kicks so hard that, for IDPA type shooting (rapid double taps), the followup shots are often way off target due to the recoil/jerk of the pistol. It is also easy for a shooter to jam the gun by moving rapidly from target to target (this is a type of limp wrist jam, same thing but different cause).

In short, unless you are quite strong, these pistols make the sport more difficult for the shooter, when compared to a 1911-9mm, a beretta 92, a cz 75, ruger p89, or similar sized heavy guns. Of those, the 92 is the lightest, the cut down slide and light frame being an issue. the 75 comes in many flavors, but you can get a heavy steel one.

So really what I am saying is if you want to play a sport that requires rapid shooting and is scored off your time & accuracy, a heavy recoil pistol is not the #1 choice IMHO. I would recommend any of the big, heavy, gentle guns over the glock for this type of shooting for anyone who is not strong enough to hold a glock still. If you DO like the glock that much and want one, get one of the bigger frames, the 17 is still not ideal for the sport (but the 17 is an excellent carry gun). If you do not care about your score and want a 17, get a 17, of course. Its all about what you want out of the gun and sport, really.

Guest Nikator

I've got a P229 and a Beretta 92 and love them both. They are both good choices so get one of each!

-southernasylum

Which trigger do you have on the P229?

As others have said, you need to go handle, and preferably shoot different firearms to get a feel for what you like best. With that said, I am a huge Sig fan. I carried one for most of my decade in law enforcement and it's the best firearm overall that I have owned. When I left my last department, I had to turn in the P229 they issued and I missed it so much I ended up buying a P226 in 9mm. I don't have the SRT installed and never really felt the need for it. I never had a bit of trouble qualifying with the standard trigger. IMHO, when you want the best go for a Sig. There is a reason that several police and military special ops units have chosen the Sig over the Glock (or many other fine handguns out there).

It would be hard to find a better pistol than a SIG. I have a number and am acquiring more. They are infectious. I've had almost every major brand at one time or another but most have gone by the wayside in favor of the Sigs I carry and shoot. Why? I seem to be able to shoot them better than the others I've tried. You couple that with the fact they all seem to go bang every time I pull the trigger makes them the best choice for me. Others may have different results.

• Like 1

This is nothing against SIGs at all. But, I know one LEO that would gladly turn in his SIG for a Glock. Different strokes. The good news... if you buy a quality gun, it's easy enough to swap it for a different one. I got two of my Glocks by swapping a CZ P-01 for one, and an M&P9 for the other. I liked both of those pistols. Just decided to trade. I like the Glocks too.

I own several Sigs and have to say they are addictive... I highly recommend the 226, it is a fantastic pistol. Glock's, the XD, M&P etc. are all great, but Glocks have never felt great to me. Try them out and then get the one that feels best to you.

Depending on money and desire especially if this is going to be a range gun in order:

1. 1911 9mm with a .38 Super barrel and a 7.62.25 barrel/bushing.

2. Sig X-Five Tactical

3. Glock 34 with Fulcrum trigger, 6lb trigger spring and Ghost 3.5 connector

4. Glock 17L with Fulcrum trigger, 6lb trigger spring and Ghost 3.5 connector

I've been there and done that except for the 9mm 1911 with the 7.62 barrel - which I am in the process of remedying if the seller's FFL ever gets back in town to send me the gun I have paid for.

X-Five is a really cool gun but it is big, but oh so nice to shoot. A friend lent me his for a couple of months.

Glock 34 can be easily carried with the right holster and is legal in competitions

Glock17L is long as hell but is fun to outfit with aftermarket. Cheap, anemic ammo is not this gun's friend.

I have had 5 CZs and all were good guns - I don't have them any longer. Unless you get Angus Hobdell to rework the trigger with a single action straight trigger - well, 'nuff said. I'll never buy another.

Beretta 92s are good range guns too and can be made to shoot with decent trigger pulls fairly easily - I have had 3 not including those that I had to carry in the Army. I'll never buy another.

I have owned both a M&P Pro and M&P 9L set up like a Pro. And I am an M&P Armorer (big deal), but I probably won't own another M&P unless a 9mm Shield ends up in my lap.

The 17 esp, but all glocks in general, have 3 issues that may or may not matter to you in idpa:

grip angle --- at least for me, it adds recoil by pounding the wrists linearly rather than rotationally. It varies for different shooters.

recoil springs --- the +p eating springs of glocks are rather stout/stiff, and while they can handle more powerful loads, they also translate more of the recoil into the shooter before those stiff springs start to collapse and absorb.

All that combines into a gun that kicks fairly hard for a 9mm. Lots of folks have no problems with it, but I find that the 17 kicks so hard that, for IDPA type shooting (rapid double taps), the followup shots are often way off target due to the recoil/jerk of the pistol. It is also easy for a shooter to jam the gun by moving rapidly from target to target (this is a type of limp wrist jam, same thing but different cause).

In short, unless you are quite strong, these pistols make the sport more difficult for the shooter, when compared to a 1911-9mm, a beretta 92, a cz 75, ruger p89, or similar sized heavy guns. Of those, the 92 is the lightest, the cut down slide and light frame being an issue. the 75 comes in many flavors, but you can get a heavy steel one.

So really what I am saying is if you want to play a sport that requires rapid shooting and is scored off your time & accuracy, a heavy recoil pistol is not the #1 choice IMHO. I would recommend any of the big, heavy, gentle guns over the glock for this type of shooting for anyone who is not strong enough to hold a glock still. If you DO like the glock that much and want one, get one of the bigger frames, the 17 is still not ideal for the sport (but the 17 is an excellent carry gun). If you do not care about your score and want a 17, get a 17, of course. Its all about what you want out of the gun and sport, really.

I would take this post with a huge grain of salt. I bet IDPA SSP division champions have used Glock 34s more than all other models combined. This is the first time I've ever heard of a 9mm Glock being described as having "heavy recoil." I don't consider myself overly strong, but I hold my own in IDPA with a 34. The lower bore axis actually helps reduce recoil vs. high bore axis guns like SIGs or Springfield XDs.

If you are considering IDPA, I would choose the 34 over the 17.

Edited by deerslayer

IDPA members get a rundown of the equipment used at their national championships. This is a very good indicator of what folks use in these type games. Based on that information, the Glock 34 is the most popular weapon used by a large margin.

Sorry to disagree but the facts bear out the true story.