Need some opinions on gun belts.

I've looked at the belts from The Belt Man and they look like they are made well. I am willing to spend the money as long as it is a really good product that will last. But I really wanted to know if anyone else had any knowledge of someone that sells belts that are for one cheaper and/or quicker to arrive. I know his wait times are like 8 weeks. I don't have a problem spending the money on a good belt I just want to know where to look and get some feed back from the guys that have used them everyday for years.

Ok, so I am not sure what makes something a "gun belt" really, but IMHO you cannot go wrong with a solid leather belt. The more it is sewn together, the sooner it will fall apart, from my experience. I wear the same solid leather belt I got at the atlanta renassiance festival 20 something years ago --- its just a solid black piece of leather with a big strong metal buckle (dragon design, so that makes it medeival?!). I do not wear it every day, but close enough. Its got some scratches and wear, and one of the holes is pulled a little and I cut a new hole, but all in all, for its age .....

So, whatever you choose, I cannot recommend enough a single solid chunk of leather, about 1/8 of an inch thick.

• Admin Team

My two favorite belts which I have no doubt will still be going strong when I'm dead and gone.

DM Bullard Leather - Great double layer gun belts - http://store.dmbullardleather.com/catalog/product/f7b6d17ed2234374a6cc2464b7597926

Ares Gear Ranger Belt - by far the strongest belt I've ever worn - http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=6

Both of the above are around $80.

I have tried all kinds of belts over the last 3+ yeasr of carrying every day. I thought I really like my cheap version of a Ranger belt Macgyver posted. That is until I picked up a wide, stiff all leather belt. It is as wide as my belt loops and just as wide at the loops on the holster. This keeps the gun in place and because it is wide it is very, very comfortable.

And the best part is it was CHEAP. I paid less than $20 for it at a horse tack shop my wife stopped in at. I am just curious as to how long it will remain stiff enough for me to sue for carry. I seriously doubt it will ever get as pliable as the Ranger belt though.

The key to having a comfortable belt, IMHO, is getting one that is as wide as will fit your clothing and your holster. If either has a bit of slop in it the holster can move around and pinch you. It is also important for it to be rigid. Being too pliable or too loose can also affect the draw when you pull on your gun's grip and the gun, inside the holster, tilts forward.

They also make leather belts that have a rigid plastic strip sewn inside the belt. This helps them stay stiff over time. These are generaly some sort of duty belt or duty belt liner. But they also make dress belts that have the plastic insert.

Dolomite

Guest nowheretobefound

Well my "opinion" is just get a good belt. I'm assuming you are asking because you will attach a holster in some way to it. Gun belts like most everything in the firearms industry are pushed by marketing. If you were in law enforcement and needed a duty belt while in uniform to carry 20+ pounds of equipment on it that would be a different story.

Guest bluecanary25

I don't have a dress quality "gun belt", but use a wide leather dress belt.

For everyday knocking about, like Dolomite_supafly, use leather belt from tack store.

Thick, wide and long lasting (mind your manners, plz... I embarrass easily).

As stated, economical as well.

• Admin Team

Well my "opinion" is just get a good belt. I'm assuming you are asking because you will attach a holster in some way to it. Gun belts like most everything in the firearms industry are pushed by marketing. If you were in law enforcement and needed a duty belt while in uniform to carry 20+ pounds of equipment on it that would be a different story.

There's a big difference between most casual belts and a true gun belt. You, your weapon, your holster, your belt and any accessories are all a system. The whole system will only perform as well as the weakest component. I've seen a lot of people with expensive weapons and holsters sitting on cheap belts over the years. They go to draw, and find that the whole system ends up around their armpit before the weapon breaks retention.

A good gun belt is worth the money, and in my case winds up being my casual belt as well.

If you're near a Gander Muntain store, check out their belts. I bought a black, 1 1/2'' , solid leather belt from them. It was a little pricey at 39 dollars, but needing a larger size than a normal person(bought the 48-50 size so I can have a longer belt to go thru jeans loops), and dangit was made in China. But works very well, I don't have the rollover problem I've had with other belts. And my belt slide holsters work very well with it. JMO

Thanks for the opinion guys, what I am looking for is a Black leather belt, a brown leather belt, and also one of the nylon belts. I think I will go with either the DM Bullard or the Beltman belts for leather.

I like those ranger belts for something nylon.

Question- I will probably go with the 1 1/2 inch belts, do you think I should go with the stiffiner in the leather belts, or will the DM Bullard or Beltman belts be stiff enough without it?

• Admin Team

Thanks for the opinion guys, what I am looking for is a Black leather belt, a brown leather belt, and also one of the nylon belts. I think I will go with either the DM Bullard or the Beltman belts for leather.

I like those ranger belts for something nylon.

Question- I will probably go with the 1 1/2 inch belts, do you think I should go with the stiffiner in the leather belts, or will the DM Bullard or Beltman belts be stiff enough without it?

As a general rule, anything under 36 inches isn't going to need a stiffener. Most 1.5" belts shouldn't have a problem without the stiffener.

• Admin Team

The ARES Gear Ranger belt is by far the stiffest belt I've ever seen. It's two layers of 1.5" heavy webbing with a layer of 1" webbing on the surface. Nothing is going to make that belt sag - and, since it doesn't depend on belt holes, you can get it as tight as you need it for your system/comfort.

Good deal. My waist is 40 so it will prob be bigger than 36" lol

Thanks for all of the help. I think I am going to order about 3 belts soon. Been putting it off for a while but I will probably going to pull the trigger soon.

Ditto on the "Wilderness" belts. Got one with the titanium buckle. It's super light weight and worth the extra coin in IMHO. Pay close attention to their sizing instructions and give it some thought. Excellent nylon belt.

I thought leather hung the moon for years. I had custom ones made, the last one was 1/4" thick. They all take a set with time. They swag down in the back. Plus I sweat so much in the summer they soak that up and stink!

I've been wearing a Galco reenforced Instructors belt for a year now and it looks like t did when I bought it. It's tuff to get used to it's so stiff, but it is awesome.

Ditto on the "Wilderness" belts. Got one with the titanium buckle. It's super light weight and worth the extra coin in IMHO. Pay close attention to their sizing instructions and give it some thought. Excellent nylon belt.

+1 on the Wilderness Tactical belts, while i do not use it most of time for daily wear, that is what we use as our competion belt and in 3 gun that means, pistol and mags, with shotshell holders and AR mag holder and never a issue with the belt sagging or drawing pistol or mags. i do have some leather belts that are thick and stiff.

I was in Clare, MI last year with my father in law and he took me to an Amish store to get a good belt. 1/4 inch thick and 1 1/2 wide super stiff and does not stretch. Cost $14. The strangest thing was pulling up and carriages being sold out front. Interesting experience. This belt to add a hole had to use a drill.

JTM

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by jtmaze