Anyone Golf?

So I took up golf about a year or so ago, played 2-3 times and the was inflicted with a back injury. So now post surgery and 90% recovered I've begun playing again. I really enjoy the game even though I suck pretty bad. Just wondered if any fellow TGOers played.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have periodically been one of those who feel that "golf is not a matter of life and death -- it's much more important than that".

Have let it go over the last 5-6 years or so though -- mostly due to not being able to play during the week and too tired to on weekends in last gig, and long time circle of golfing buddies dispersing over same period. Might could be induced to smack 'em around again some, though.

When I got zapped from UT in '97, ran my own biz out of home for next 5 years or so; could never take actual vacation then, but could slip off for four hours at a time on a moment's notice, so played beau coup. Got down to a seven, best I've ever been. Which is pretty good for one of the worst putters in the state, if not wider.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I play some as well, not very good either. Mainly just something that I do when on vacation but I have been thinking about doing it more since i am running out of ammo money. I only keep track of my score about half the time, it can get pretty high:)

Yep. There's video of me swinging a club at about age 5. I played competitively in high school, though I wasn't really a stand out. Most of my golfing now is in the company league (9 holes every other week), with a rare round with family on the weekends. I enjoy it, but with 2 little ones its very hard to find the time/money to play as much as I'd like.

Between the heat, a long vacation and now rain the last couple of weeks, I haven't gotten out as much this year. Used to play every other week or there abouts. I agree with OhShoot on the putting thing. If I could putt, I'd be a scratch player. I guess I play to about a +4.

Edited by JHC77

I would like to play. I played once in my life, and the ball got off the ground twice in nine holes. Once to go across the road in someone's front yard, and the second time to take a dip in the lake. Needless to say, I am not a natural, but I could see it being an enjoyable game if you did not get too serious about it.

I love the game. I consider myself average. I find a way to play bogey golf on almost any course. I could be better if I practiced, but since I've gotten older practice sucks. I would rather play. My group makes it more interesting by making pocket change wagers and playing for a " winners belt" on Sunday evenings. The winner chooses the next weeks venue. We are just a bunch of middle aged guys having fun.

I love the game. I consider myself average. I find a way to play bogey golf on almost any course. I could be better if I practiced, but since I've gotten older practice sucks. I would rather play. My group makes it more interesting by making pocket change wagers and playing for a " winners belt" on Sunday evenings. The winner chooses the next weeks venue. We are just a bunch of middle aged guys having fun.

Sounds like a good group. Dad and his buddies did a similar thing for a long time... $5 low-ball or points with $1 birdies. I'd play with them occasionally when I was in town. It was fun and enough $ to keep you interested but no so much that anyone took it too seriously.

... My group makes it more interesting by making pocket change wagers and playing for a " winners belt" on Sunday evenings. The winner chooses the next weeks venue. We are just a bunch of middle aged guys having fun.

One of the things I miss the most. Used to play .50 skins with all the junk in the world added. Birdies, sandies, barkies, .greenies, .5 skin for GIR, couple extra for low score on each side, and total, long putt-off to settle ties at end. Score card looked like hieroglyphics. Loved it.

- OS

Tea time?

Shooting birdies and eagles?

Foursomes?

The 19th hole?

Mulligan's Stew?

Boogie Men?

Putters?

The front and back 9?

Sounds like fun! I tried it many, many years ago. When it was my turn to try and club the ball most everyone took cover and started yelling some number?

Edited by Dennis1209

One of the things I miss the most. Used to play .50 skins with all the junk in the world added. Birdies, sandies, barkies, .greenies, .5 skin for GIR, couple extra for low score on each side, and total, long putt-off to settle ties at end. Score card looked like hieroglyphics. Loved it.

- OS

So, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Big fun!

- OS

Sheesh, that sounds exactly like playing with one of our salesmen. :) I hated playing with him at times because his method of scorekeeping was so dang confusing. I never knew if I was losing or winning money.

I haven't played much the last couple of years. I only got in my first round of the year about a month ago. I did manage to shoot an 87, which I thought was pretty good since my last game was last August 2011. I have never been really that good. When playing regularly, I would be in the low to mid 80's (white tees). I have only broken 80 four times.

Sheesh, that sounds exactly like playing with one of our salesmen. :) I hated playing with him at times because his method of scorekeeping was so dang confusing. I never knew if I was losing or winning money.

Yep, it can get way too complicated for my simple mind. That's the main reason why I think its important for small bets. Those who enjoy that sort of thing can do it. Those who don't really care (like me) don't have to worry about it. It's not enough money to get bent over. If it's correctly handicapped, it shouldn't matter anyway. If you play well, you win. If not, you lose. You already know the answer to that before the scores are tallied.

I've been a few times. It's definitely a fun but frustrating game. It's a good game to know for the corporate world, all my coworkers golf together. Apparently Orlando has some great courses.

Tiger lives there for a reason. You're in 365/yr golf country.

Sounds good! Not this weekend but next (July 28-29). I can play anytime Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I'll play anywhere too, so we'll keep an eye on the weather and make a plan next week.

I've got a tournament that weekend in Chattanoga--Lets do the following weekend. Thanks