Why do I go into Gander Mountain?

I do it every time. I'm in the Hell that is Turkey Creek, driving by and I think "I'll go in for a minute and see if they have any ammo on sale." THEY NEVER DO!!! In fact, their ammo prices are DOUBLE, that's right, double what Walmart sells for. My jaw dropped when I saw a 100rnd box of 9mm Federal for 44$! However, I still walk through the door. It must be something about how it's laid out or some sort of hypnotism. Anyway, I need to stop going in because it's always disappointing when I do.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I used to be a huge supporter of Gander Mountain.

The last several times I've visited their stores I've left feeling that they'll be out of business before long. The last time I was in there, the staff had no problems making it clear that I was interfering with whatever else it was they were doing.

I tried to negotiate a cash price on a CZ452 they had in Turkey Creek not too long ago. Guy behind the counter told me they didn't negotiate prices because they were the biggest gun store in the country and they didn't have to. Fair enough- they will never have to worry about negotiating a price with me.

I tried to negotiate a cash price on a CZ452 they had in Turkey Creek not too long ago. Guy behind the counter told me they didn't negotiate prices because they were the biggest gun store in the country and they didn't have to. Fair enough- they will never have to worry about negotiating a price with me.

Pretty sure Walmart is bigger than them. (I know I know not all Walmarts are back into guns :pleased: )

Kind of makes ya wonder if they aren't a front for something else.

I pop in when I'm out there right by it with any time to spare, just to ogle. It's the least busy store of any kind that I frequent. Yet there's 118 of them.

- OS

I'm pretty sure that would give them more ability to negotiate because they would have more buying power.

I usually stop in a Gander Mountain when traveling to use the restroom. They are generally clean. But to buy something? Their prices are ridiculous. And I bought Federal 9mm at Floyd's in Sevierville for $9.95 per box at their reopening sale in their new location.

I go in just like others, to browse. Their prices on Columbia and other such clothing is usually on par, but guns and related things are way too high. I actually leave angry when I see someone buying a new Glock for 50-100 more than they could get at even CCA, and get equally ####ty service. i know its their responsibility to research prices, but I feel Gander is preying on the less informed.

Which is exactly why I never believe anything a snobby gun store clerk tells me.

Edited by DaddyO

Gander is kinda like that eye candy stuff, looks great, but expensive or high maintenance, and available now! You love to look, you might even touch, but you know you can find it else where a whole lot cheaper.

You can get much lower prices at Academy.

We are getting one in CDB land, cant wait, well I can but it is tough.

Gander Mt is a nono for me as well to high priced and High and Mighty.